Author Topic: Gad Saad on Hysteria and “Collective Munchausen” around Donald Trump...  (Read 1069 times)

Offline endicom

Gad Saad on Hysteria and “Collective Munchausen” around Donald Trump, Speaking Out as an Academic, and Evolutionary Psychology 101

Areo Magazine
Malhar Mali
Jan. 23, 2017

Excerpts:

Malhar Mali: There seems to be an extreme strain of thought held by some that Trump’s inauguration will signal the apocalypse and return of the third-reich, that people of color will be rounded up, women will be sexually assaulted en-masse, and LGBTQ citizens will be executed on sight. What are your thoughts on that?

Gad Saad: Early last year I introduced a theory to explain the mass hysteria associated with social justice warriors. I called it “collective Munchausen” syndrome. Munchausen disorder is when somebody feigns a medical illness or injury to garner sympathy and empathy. Munchausen syndrome by proxy is when you have somebody under your care — say your child — and you harm that third party to garner sympathy. “Look, my child is hurt!” So it’s a really morbid, grotesque psychological desire to draw attention to yourself because you enjoy the sympathy you receive.

I took this psychiatric disorder that I’d written about in a medical journal and then I argued that the manner in which social justice warriors respond is really a manifestation of collective Munchausen.

>

MM: We value victims — which is a good thing —  but there are groups popping up and individuals who seem to be vying for higher statuses of victimhood. You call this “victimology poker”.

GS: Everyone who is suffering from collective Munchausen and mass hysteria are obviously of a particular political bent — the ultra-Left (who typically belong to the Democratic party). And these people have built their whole ethos, edifice, zeitgeist on Identity Politics.

More... https://areomagazine.com/2017/01/23/gad-saad-on-hysteria-and-collective-munchausen-around-donald-trump-speaking-out-as-an-academic-and-evolutionary-psychology-101/

Offline beandog

I like to see all this victim groups fight to see who is the top victim.  I wonder who'd come out on top? :silly:

Offline Lando Lincoln

I started reading this and I wasn't sure what to expect.  It is a good read and I will again. Thanks for posting.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Frank Cannon

I started reading this and I wasn't sure what to expect.  It is a good read and I will again. Thanks for posting.

I started reading this and got distracted by my cat chasing it's tail. Now I lost my place and I'm too lazy to start over.

Offline endicom

I like to see all this victim groups fight to see who is the top victim.  I wonder who'd come out on top? :silly:

I think that's started. This is too white and that is too hetero and so on.

Maybe Trump is not populist but schismatic.

Offline endicom

You're welcome.