Author Topic: If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible "carnage" going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!  (Read 4951 times)

geronl

Silver Pines

Sounding like a dictator... or is that just me?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

It's not just you.  Conservatives would have howled to heaven (justifiably) if Obama had said this.

Some Trump fanatic on Twitter said Chicago should be "ruled with an iron fist."

HonestJohn

Imagine if Obama had said, "If Texas doesn't shut down their coal power plants, I'll send in the feds!"

rangerrebew

Trump: 'I will send in the Feds' if Chicago doesn't fix violence
By Nikita Vladimirov - 01/24/17 09:52 PM EST
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook
2.1KShare to Twitter
Share to Google+

Trump: 'I will send in the Feds' if Chicago doesn't fix violence
© Getty

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he will "send in the Feds" if Chicago does not address its crime problem.

Trump made the comment on Twitter while sharing some statistics about the ongoing "carnage" in the city.

"If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible 'carnage' going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!" the president tweeted.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/315994-trump-i-will-send-in-the-feds-if-chicago-doesnt-fix-carnage
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:19:09 am by rangerrebew »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline kevindavis007

Imagine if Obama had said, "If Texas doesn't shut down their coal power plants, I'll send in the feds!"

We would be screaming like hell. I don't care who does it, it is plain wrong..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

It's not just you.  Conservatives would have howled to heaven (justifiably) if Obama had said this.

Some Trump fanatic on Twitter said Chicago should be "ruled with an iron fist."

The sad part is the people of Chicago would like it..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:14:39 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Way to go Trump, almost 800 murders in the windy city last year, 80% black.

Mayor Rahm isn't fixing things in Obama's backyard.

The Feds went after Al Capone in Chicago during Prohibition.

An outrageous problem with violence and illegal drugs that come in.

Offline TomSea

Alright, we compare a murder epidemic to coal plants. Good luck with that.

geronl

What exactly does he think the federal government can do about it?

Offline TomSea

Not the federal governments business

I stand corrected, I wasn't aware Chicago gets no federal funding.

Offline TomSea

Stop and Frisk can be done as a starters, crack down on Black Lives Matter, the police have a bad image in Chicago and don't want to act lest they be accused of brutality and racism.

Offline TomSea

We are asking the Federal Government to clean up the sovereign borders; or we could say Arizona, California, Texas, New Mexico, just do it your way.

geronl

I stand corrected, I wasn't aware Chicago gets no federal funding.

Wow. So the idea of the separation of powers and federalism just vanishes if someone gets a federal dollar?

Besides, where does the federal government get its funding?

Maybe Trump will force the people of Chicago to quarter soldiers in their homes?

Offline TomSea

Wow. So the idea of the separation of powers and federalism just vanishes if someone gets a federal dollar?

Besides, where does the federal government get its funding?

Maybe Trump will force the people of Chicago to quarter soldiers in their homes?

Mississippi, Alabama during the civil rights era; I'm sure all kinds of reasons can be found to intervene in States, disaster areas and so on.

Offline TomSea

In a sense, the place is a disaster area at this time,

Like Hurricane Katrina, the Feds went in.

geronl

I guess Trump wants to become Duterte of America

Offline TomSea

Oklahoma City got bombed; maybe some said just let the state or city officials handle it, it's fine with me if the Feds go into some areas. That innocent people, 4 year olds seem to get killed with flying stray bullets may indicate a bit more of a problem than usual. Yes, that happens in most big cities from time to time.

Offline corbe

After Trump tweet, Chicago aldermen say he should send federal money, not troops

By John Byrne and Hal Dardick•Contact Reporters
Chicago Tribune
January 25, 2017, 10:55 AM

Aldermen reacted cautiously Wednesday to President Donald Trump's promise via tweet to "send in the Feds!" to Chicago if the city doesn't "fix the horrible 'carnage' going on," saying the city could use more federal money and assistance but that National Guard troops patrolling the streets would be a mistake.

On Tuesday evening Trump tweeted "If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible 'carnage' going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!" The president's note cited statistics published Monday in the Chicago Tribune about violence in the city so far this year.

Trump's tweet didn't specify what he meant by the feds. South Side Ald. Pat Dowell, 3rd, said the city could use federal money for jobs and education programs, but she and other aldermen worried the president intends to bring in the National Guard.

"We could use some federal help. I don't think it should come in the form of troops," Dowell said. "And I'm not sure what he meant by federal help. But in my mind, he's a law-and-order president. I'm thinking he's thinking troops. So I don't necessarily think we need that, but I do think we need some help from the federal government, whether it's investing in neighborhoods, jobs, jobs over jails."

"I don't think we need troops in the city," Dowell added. "Nobody wants to be subject to a curfew, home-to-home searches, cordoning off neighborhoods. I think we need more investment in terms of jobs, investment in our schools."

South Side Ald. Toni Foulkes said it would be a mistake to think sending National Guard units into the city's African-American neighborhoods would improve conditions in those communities, where there is already a distrust of law enforcement.

<..snip..>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-trump-feds-chicago-tweet-react-met-20170125-story.html

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Way to go Trump, almost 800 murders in the windy city last year, 80% black.

Mayor Rahm isn't fixing things in Obama's backyard.

The Feds went after Al Capone in Chicago during Prohibition.

An outrageous problem with violence and illegal drugs that come in.
The Feds got Al Capone for Tax evasion, iirc. If it involves interstate activity, the FBI can get involved, but black on black killing in Chitcago is a local matter, exacerbated by local laws. Without a formal request for assistance, the Feds can only intervene if Federal Laws are broken, and even then the level of involvement is limited by law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We are asking the Federal Government to clean up the sovereign borders; or we could say Arizona, California, Texas, New Mexico, just do it your way.
We are asking the Federal Government to clean up the international border with Mexico, not to clean up the border between Texas and New Mexico.

If Federal Laws are not being broken, If interstate criminal activity is not involved, if Federal property (military bases, National parks/monuments, federal buildings, for instance) is not involved, the jurisdiction falls to the State and Local Governments.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

Bush 41 ordered an investigation into the police killing of a black man in Florida back during the Liberty City riots (or the other riots in Florida around that time). The Feds are already involved everywhere to boot. Would one say Bush 41 should not have done that? Possibly if one is really for only local and state government. The point remains nonetheless, the Federal Government already is involved in many places.