Author Topic: Repeal the 1986 Hughes amendment  (Read 3292 times)

Offline thackney

Repeal the 1986 Hughes amendment
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:21 pm »
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-1986-hughes-amendment

The 1986 Hughes amendment (as part of the Firearm Owners Protection Act) is an unconstitutional ban that limits law abiding citizens from owning fully automatic weapons that were manufactured past May 19, 1986. Select fire weapons are already very heavily regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act which requires you to register your gun and submit a tax stamp. Since 1934 there have only been 2 known homicides committed with a legally owned fully automatic firearm and one of them was caused by a police officer. This law does nothing to prevent crime and it raises the price of legal automatic weapons to a ludicrous price due to supply and demand. Repealing the unconstitutional Hughes amendment will restore our second amendment rights that have been under attack for a very long time.

1,636 SIGNED 100,000 GOAL

Needs 98,364 signatures by February 19, 2017 to get a response from the White House

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Re: Repeal the 1986 Hughes amendment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-1986-hughes-amendment

The 1986 Hughes amendment (as part of the Firearm Owners Protection Act) is an unconstitutional ban that limits law abiding citizens from owning fully automatic weapons that were manufactured past May 19, 1986. Select fire weapons are already very heavily regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act which requires you to register your gun and submit a tax stamp. Since 1934 there have only been 2 known homicides committed with a legally owned fully automatic firearm and one of them was caused by a police officer. This law does nothing to prevent crime and it raises the price of legal automatic weapons to a ludicrous price due to supply and demand. Repealing the unconstitutional Hughes amendment will restore our second amendment rights that have been under attack for a very long time.

1,636 SIGNED 100,000 GOAL

Needs 98,364 signatures by February 19, 2017 to get a response from the White House

Is this something that mostly affects collectors?  Or something going forward that would allow me to own a fully auto AK-47?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:20:21 pm »

I knew that white house petition crap was trouble when Obama started it. Its not a legitimate function of government and can and has been ignored by the white house at will. Obama came up with it as a means of justifying his own executive actions.

The legitimate course of action is to take it up with our congressmen.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 04:30:39 pm »
Is this something that mostly affects collectors?  Or something going forward that would allow me to own a fully auto AK-47?

It would affect collectors but not in a good way.  The public supply of full auto is limited to those existing before 1986.  To open up that supply to include all made since then and all made in the future would bring the prices down.

You can own a fully auto AK-47 now but it is quite expensive in addition to the tax stamp. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615038268
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:33:15 pm by thackney »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 04:40:49 pm »
It also means you could modify a semi-auto into a full auto by using the ATF Form 1. If you are mechanically minded.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:55:21 pm »
I knew that white house petition crap was trouble when Obama started it. Its not a legitimate function of government and can and has been ignored by the white house at will. Obama came up with it as a means of justifying his own executive actions.

The legitimate course of action is to take it up with our congressmen.

I would assert that congressmen pay attention to petitions that gather a large number of signatures.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:53 pm »
Since 1934 there have only been 2 known homicides committed with a legally owned fully automatic firearm and one of them was caused by a police officer.

Gee, I wonder why?

To play devil's advocate for a moment, perhaps the reason there have been only two known homicides committed with a legally owned automatic firearm is precisely because they are so difficult/pricey to obtain.

Maybe it's a good idea, but the logic of the quoted sentence is really lacking.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:22:06 pm »

Gee, I wonder why?

To play devil's advocate for a moment, perhaps the reason there have been only two known homicides committed with a legally owned automatic firearm is precisely because they are so difficult/pricey to obtain.

Maybe it's a good idea, but the logic of the quoted sentence is really lacking.

There's at least half a million of them registered.

http://metrocosm.com/map-of-federally-regulated-weapons/