Author Topic: Trump Signs First Anti Abortion Legislation Today  (Read 54066 times)

Offline mirraflake

Trump Signs First Anti Abortion Legislation Today
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »
    Trump will sign more executive orders this morning imposing his will on the country as he sends his predecessor's agenda through the paper shredder
    First up: Obama's Trans-Pacific Partnership and the North American Free Trade Agreement
    The president is also expected to take action on a five-year lobbying ban for senior officials and prohibit NGOs from receiving aid if they perform abortions
    Also said to be looking at a hiring freeze for the executive branch and dozens of orders rolling back regulations  issued by the EPA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148084/Proposed-Trump-executive-orders-trade-EPA-hiring-freeze.html#ixzz4WbOCO7Db
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148084/Proposed-Trump-executive-orders-trade-EPA-hiring-freeze.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:15:11 pm by mirraflake »

Offline mirraflake

Re: Trump Signs First Anti Abortion Legislation Today
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »
So much for him being pro abortion as a few here screech out.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:12:25 pm »
Y'all know he's still a NY Liberal and trojan horse for the Clintons.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:15:16 pm »

Trump revives funding ban to groups promoting abortion overseas

By Jennifer Haberkorn

01/23/17 11:58 AM EST

Updated 01/23/17 12:07 PM EST

If there was any doubt about President Donald Trump’s stance on abortion, he settled it Monday by using an executive order to bar U.S. aid to groups that provide or promote the procedure overseas.

The decision to reinstate the Republican policy known as the “Mexico City policy,” or the “global gag rule,” was delivered a day after the 44th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion and two days after the Women's March on Washington and similar events across the country drew crowds to rally for reproductive rights, among other issues. During the presidential campaign, Trump vowed to appoint "pro-life" Supreme Court justices. He said that if the Roe decision is overturned, the question of whether abortion is legal would go back to individual states.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-revives-funding-ban-to-groups-promoting-abortion-overseas-234038
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »

It's easy (though welcome/a good thing) to do it overseas. And while it's again, a good thing, Lets see what he does about it HERE in America where he will face the wrath of all liberalism.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »

@mirraflake

All good and I especially like the hiring freeze.  I will have no problem eating crow in four years and vote for him if he proves my skepticism wrong.

However I will not hesitate to be critical of him when called for.  But here's to hoping that my criticisms are few and my praises plenty
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:14 pm »
The abortion issue is a snakepit.    If Trump wades in,  he'll be unnecessarily jeopardizing the rest of his agenda.

Abortion is legal in this country - has been for 40 years.  The task should be to persuade women to do the right thing, not take away long-established rights. 

I'm not the only libertarian/conservative who will break with the new administration if it favors the legal "rights" of fetuses over women.  Yes, abortion is wrong - but this is something that women have the right to decide for themselves.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
The abortion issue is a snakepit.    If Trump wades in,  he'll be unnecessarily jeopardizing the rest of his agenda.

Abortion is legal in this country - has been for 40 years.  The task should be to persuade women to do the right thing, not take away long-established rights. 

I'm not the only libertarian/conservative who will break with the new administration if it favors the legal "rights" of fetuses over women.  Yes, abortion is wrong - but this is something that women have the right to decide for themselves.   

Perhaps one could comment on the actual issue,

Should the US be bankrolling overseas abortions and promotion of abortion?

International Planned Parenthood has been defunded.

No US tax payer dollars in the US or overseas; should go to planned parenthood or to any federal agency involved in abortion.

That equally is libertarian and conservative in view.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »
Hot Damn. I've never been happier to be wrong. @TomSea

Just to clarify I'm not on the Trump train yet, but this is great news.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:23:37 pm »
I get one's views on the topic of abortion in general;

But to come up with the argument we often hear, the SCOTUS ruled and women have their right really is a bit of a side-issue per funding Planned Parenthood;

If one is libertarian, I'd think they'd step up to the plate and indicate that our tax dollars should not be going to organizations like Planned Parenthood and probably politicized organizations like the NEA and National Endowment of the Arts.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 06:27:36 pm »
It has been my understanding for years, that "constitutional conservatives" believed Roe v. Wade was very bad law.

e.g. that it found a "privacy right" where none exists in the US Constitution.

And therefore reversal of Roe would return abortion to individual states, to set their own laws.

Don't several prominent politicos share this position?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:08 pm »
It has been my understanding for years, that "constitutional conservatives" believed Roe v. Wade was very bad law.

And therefore reversal of Roe would return abortion to individual states, to set their own laws.

I don't know how prominent I am these days but I have LONG held that exact view!  The Constitution does not have any shadows that can be divined by man at least!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:22 pm »

Yes, that's what is said.

One of JFK's Supreme Court Justices was a dissenting view on the court (against abortion), unfortunately, some GOP SCOTUS picks were in favor of Roe V. Wade and a lot of those people were probably not fully informed on the issues back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

A lot of details in that.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:33:03 pm »
I don't know how prominent I am these days but I have LONG held that exact view!  The Constitution does not have any shadows that can be divined by man at least!
Eemanations from the penumbra is legalese for pulled it out of our hats.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »
Eemanations from the penumbra is legalese for pulled it out of our hats.

Well! Out of somewhere ant least!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:42 pm »
Perhaps one could comment on the actual issue,

Should the US be bankrolling overseas abortions and promotion of abortion?

International Planned Parenthood has been defunded.

No US tax payer dollars in the US or overseas; should go to planned parenthood or to any federal agency involved in abortion.

That equally is libertarian and conservative in view.

I have no objection to an end to "bankrolling overseas abortions", whatever exactly that means.   The government can choose to spend or not spend taxpayer dollars on such things.   It's the legal/Constitutional rights of U.S. citizens that concern me.   A nonviable fetus isn't a citizen and has no rights vis a vis its mother, and I have no interest in a nonviable fetus gaining such rights at the expense of a woman's self-determination.   Use your powers of persuasion to convince a woman to do the right thing;  but don't agitate for the government to take her rights away. 

But the real point of my response is that Trump's agenda is an ambitious and in many respects a salutary one.  I want to see it succeed.  But Trump needs to pick his battles.  He can cripple his agenda by wading into the abortion snakepit, or he can propel that agenda by leaving womens' rights the hell alone.     
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:47:32 pm by Jazzhead »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »

Something we can agree on, @Jazzhead    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »
Trump revives funding ban to groups promoting abortion overseas

By Jennifer Haberkorn

01/23/17 11:58 AM EST

Updated 01/23/17 12:07 PM EST

If there was any doubt about President Donald Trump’s stance on abortion, he settled it Monday by using an executive order to bar U.S. aid to groups that provide or promote the procedure overseas.

The decision to reinstate the Republican policy known as the “Mexico City policy,” or the “global gag rule,” was delivered a day after the 44th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion and two days after the Women's March on Washington and similar events across the country drew crowds to rally for reproductive rights, among other issues. During the presidential campaign, Trump vowed to appoint "pro-life" Supreme Court justices. He said that if the Roe decision is overturned, the question of whether abortion is legal would go back to individual states.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-revives-funding-ban-to-groups-promoting-abortion-overseas-234038
Never thought I'd say this........
God bless Donald Trump!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:03 pm »
Y'all know he's still a NY Liberal and trojan horse for the Clintons.

Y'all know this directly contradicts what he said during the campaign.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 07:15:54 pm »
Abortion is legal in this country

Based on what?  Please cite the law that legalizes abortion.

The task should be to persuade women to do the right thing

The task should be to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, stand against tyranny, and allow society self-determination.

.  .  .  not take away long-established rights. 

That same argument was made for the preservation of slavery.

I'm not the only libertarian/conservative who will break with the new administration .  .  .

If you stand for tyranny, then you are neither libertarian nor Conservative.

.  .  .  if it favors the legal "rights" of fetuses over women.  Yes, abortion is wrong .  .  .

According to you, it is not wrong since you believe the right of a woman to murder a fetus supersedes the right of that unique living individual fetus to live.

but this is something that women have the right to decide for themselves.   

Again, based on what?  Is there something in the Constitution which prohibits states from regulating abortion?  Not even Roe says that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:06 pm »
Hoodat,  I have no interest in arguing abortion with you.   I think it's wrong just as you do, but I oppose the government imposing my or your morality on others.   This is a decision that every adult woman in America has had the right to make FOR HERSELF for over 40 years now.   That is how is should be, and must remain.   

I am sick of this issue keeping conservatives and libertarians from advancing their agendas.  It has been a millstone around our necks for years.   It is a narrow issue pushed by religious social conservatives,  and they simply cannot be permitted to have their way, at the expense of the rest of our issues.   Why should any woman agree to the abrogation of the most precious right she possesses?   Of course women will fight this tooth and nail - with good reason.

There are all kinds of tools for persuading women to do the right thing, short of utilizing the police  power of the state.   Use them.  Use persuasion.  Support adoption.  Support better contraceptive options.  Preach abstinence.  But leave a woman's legal right the hell alone.     
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:43:31 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »
It's easy (though welcome/a good thing) to do it overseas. And while it's again, a good thing, Lets see what he does about it HERE in America where he will face the wrath of all liberalism.

This is...IIRC merely reimplementing legislation that W had put in place that was reversed by EO under Obama.

I'm with you....lets see what he does in the U.S. first before we cheer him on this.

Like start with defending the states that have taken it upon themselves to cut off funding to the abortion mills within their own borders.

Hell I'd be happy if his DoJ decided to go after the ghouls that were busted selling baby parts.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:02 pm »
Hoodat,  I have no interest in arguing abortion with you.   I think it's wrong just as you do, but I oppose the government imposing my or your morality on others.   This is a decision that every adult woman in America has had the right to make FOR HERSELF for over 40 years now.   That is how is should be, and must remain.   

I am sick of this issue keeping conservatives and libertarians from advancing their agendas.  It has been a millstone around our necks for years.   It is a narrow issue pushed by religious social conservatives,  and they simply cannot be permitted to have their way, at the expense of the rest of our issues.   Why should any woman agree to the abrogation of the most precious right she possesses?   Of course women will fight this tooth and nail - with good reason.

There are all kinds of tools for persuading women to do the right thing, short of utilizing the police  power of the state.   Use them.  Use persuasion.  Support adoption.  Support better contraceptive options.  Preach abstinence.  But leave a woman's legal right alone.   

@Jazzhead
WOW, so the right to kill another human is the most precious right for women?  Why are so many women against abortion then?

Why do  you seek to eliminate men from this critically important issue?  Should our right to vote be restricted?  Should there be a gender test on every issue?

The fact is that abortion is big business.  Young children must be encouraged to have sex to continue the pipeline.  They will not accept anything that detracts from that goal.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »

Let's cut to the chase and substitute a word in your argument.

The slavery issue is a snakepit.    If Trump wades in,  he'll be unnecessarily jeopardizing the rest of his agenda.

Slaveryis legal in this country - has been for 87 years.  The task should be to persuade slave-owners to do the right thing, not take away long-established rights. 

I'm not the only libertarian/conservative who will break with the new administration if it favors the legal "rights" of slaves over slave-owners.  Yes, slavery is wrong - but this is something that slave-owners have the right to decide for themselves.

The issue is exactly the same -- denying humanity and human rights. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »

@truth_seeker Your understanding is correct.  Justice Brennan set the groundwork for this mythical "right" in his decision in two separate cases...Griswold v Connecticut and Eisenstadt v. Baird. 

The first one created the mythical "privacy right" for married couples and the second one extended it to unmarried couples.

It should be up to the individual sates to determine whether abortion is allowed within their borders or not.  Just as several other found "rights" should be left to the states...but instead the Libs...via the courts...have forced it upon us via the myth of the "living Constitution".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:55:36 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!