Author Topic: President Trump Declares Independence  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
President Trump Declares Independence
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:47 pm »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/president-trump-declares-independence-1484956174

President Trump Declares Independence
His message to America: Remember those things I said in the campaign? I meant them. I meant it all.

Peggy Noonan
Jan. 20, 2017

I was more moved than I expected. Then more startled.

The old forms and traditions, the bands and bunting, endured. I thought, as I watched the inauguration: It continues. There were pomp and splendor, happy, cheering crowds; and for all the confounding nature of the past 18 months, and all the trauma, it came as a reassurance to see us do what we do the way we do it. A friend in the Southwest, a longtime Trump supporter, emailed just before the swearing in: “I have been crying all morning.” From joy.

I found myself unexpectedly moved during the White House meeting of the Trumps and the Obamas, at the moment Melania Trump emerged from her car. She was beautiful, seemed so shy and game. There are many ways to show your respect for people and events, and one is to present yourself with elegance and dignity.

The inaugural address was utterly and uncompromisingly Trumpian. The man who ran is the man who’ll reign. It was plain, unfancy and blunt to the point of blistering. A little humility would have gone a long way, but that’s not the path he took. Nor did he attempt to reassure. It was pow, right in the face. Most important, he did not in any way align himself with the proud Democrats and Republicans arrayed around him. He looked out at the crowd and said he was allied with them.

He presented himself not as a Republican or a conservative but as a populist independent. The essential message: Remember those things I said in the campaign? I meant them. I meant it all.

The address was bold in its assertion of the distance in America between the leaders and the led: “For too long, a small group in our nation’s capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished—but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered—but the jobs left, and the factories closed. The establishment protected itself but not the citizens of our country.”

It was an unmistakable indictment of almost everyone seated with him on the platform.

Then a stark vow: “That all changes—starting right here and right now.” Jan. 20 “will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.”

And these words were most remarkable, not because they were new, but because he didn’t back away from them, he repeated them in an improvisation: “From this day forward it’s going to be only America first—America first.” To American workers and families: “You will never be ignored again.”

The speech will electrify President Trump’s followers. They will feel satisfaction that they understood him and knew what they were backing. And it will deepen the Washington establishment’s unease. Republican leaders had been hoping the address would ameliorate their anxieties about the continued primacy of their traditional policy preferences. Forget that. This was a declaration that the president is going his own way and they’d best follow.

Throughout the speech, and much of the day, Mr. Trump looked stern. At first I thought it was the face he puts on when he’s nervous. I don’t think so now.

Anyway, it was a remarkable speech, like none before it, and it marked, I think, yet another break point in the two-party reality that has dominated our politics for many decades.

And so, now, it begins. And it simply has to be repeated: We have never had a political moment like this in our lives. We have never had a president like this, such a norm-breaker, in all the ways we know. We are in uncharted seas.

His supporters, who flooded Washington this week, were friendly, courteous—but watchful. Two Midwestern women told me separately that they used to be but no longer are Republican. They’re something new, waiting for a name.

They like Mr. Trump the way you learn to like someone you hired and will depend on. They judged him as exactly what’s needed to cut through the merde machine of modern Washington. He is a destabilizer; he shifts the tectonic plates; in the chaos that results, breakthroughs are possible.

And yet all admit that yes, we’re in uncharted waters.

The mood among Republicans in Washington is hopeful apprehension. Even Trump supporters, even his staff and advisers, feel it. No one knows what he’ll be like as president, how this will go. Including, probably, him. A GOP senator characterized his mood as “tentatively positive.” Another said, with a big grin: “I feel somewhat optimistic!”

We’ll find out a lot the next few months. How will Mr. Trump work with Congress, and what are his specific legislative priorities? How important will the cabinet be? Will the Trumps really live in the White House or just stay and do events a few days a week? Will they come to own the physical space, the psychic space, of the executive mansion and the presidency? Will they give Camp David—those rustic cabins that are a glass, brass and marble-free zone—a chance?

The big embassies this week gave receptions to celebrate the inauguration, and invited official Washington. Ambassadors made friendly speeches about their countries’ long, deep and unchanging ties to America. They approached the big change with sangfroid, even jolliness. But Washington still doesn’t know what to make of this thing America did.

At the Kuwaiti Embassy I looked out at hundreds of Washingtonians of both parties—diplomats, lobbyists, military brass, journalists—all networking, meeting, greeting, all handsomely dressed. As I surveyed the scene I turned to a social figure of 40 years’ standing. “Do they have any sense they’re living through big history?” I asked. “Noooooo!” she said. The look on her face—if it had been the late 19th century she would have said, “Pshaw!” History is not what they’re about, she was suggesting; satisfying their personal and immediate hungers is what they’re about.

The Trump Wars of the past 18 months do not now go away. Now it becomes the Trump Civil War, every day, with Democrats trying to get rid of him and half the country pushing back. To reduce it to the essentials: As long as Mr. Trump’s party holds the House, it will be a standoff. If the Democrats take the House, they will move to oust him.

Because we are divided. We are two nations, maybe more.

Normally a new president has someone backing him up, someone publicly behind him. Mr. Obama had the mainstream media—the big broadcast networks, big newspapers, activists and intellectuals, pundits and columnists of the left—the whole shebang. He had a unified, passionate party. Mr. Trump in comparison has almost nothing. The mainstream legacy media oppose him, even hate him, and will not let up. The columnists, thinkers and magazines of the right were mostly NeverTrump; some came reluctantly to support him. His party is split or splitting. The new president has gradations of sympathy, respect or support from exactly one cable news channel, and some websites.

He really has no one but those who voted for him.

Do they understand what a lift daily governance is going to be, and how long the odds are, with so much arrayed against him, and them?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: President Trump Declares Independence
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:32:06 pm »
He presented himself not as a Republican or a conservative but as a populist independent.

And still at TBR, we have a faction that thinks this guy is going to save us.   Poor duped fools.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »
He presented himself not as a Republican or a conservative but as a populist independent.

And still at TBR, we have a faction that thinks this guy is going to save us.   Poor duped fools.

Such nonsense.  But then again, nonsense seems to be all you've got.   :shrug:

BTW, @catfish1957 --- please stay in the exile you claim to be in.  We've got work to do.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:52:13 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:13 pm »

I've been thinking about this @catfish1957.  I think it would have been difficult for a "good guy" to win this go-round, and very, very difficult to have any effect in office had they done so.

The times call for a bombastic, belligerent, cunning, savvy, popularist, smashmouth, media creature.  I think that's why Cruz or Walker or whomever didn't win the nomination.   They don't do smashmouth.  Any one of them may have been otherwise close to perfect for the times and office, but people are frightened and angry, and their calm, reasoned approach just didn't give them what they think they need. They want metaphorical blood, and whatever we may think of him, Trump is that guy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:30:29 pm by Sanguine »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:39:59 pm »
I've been thinking about this @catfish1957.  I think it would have been difficult for a "good guy" to win this go-round, and very, very difficult to have any effect in office had they done so.

The times call for a bombastic, belligerent, cunning, savvy, popularist, smashmouth, media creature.  I think that's why Cruz or Walker or whomever didn't win the nomination.   They don't do smashmouth.  Any one of them may have been otherwise close to perfect for the times and office, but people are frightened and angry, and their calm, reasoned approach just didn't give them what they think they need. They want metaphorical blood, and whatever we may think of him, Trump is that guy.

Trump is not a "Man For All Seasons",  but this is the season for him. There's a lot of damage from the last eight years that needs to be undone, before we can get back to worrying about conservative 'purity.'

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »

Abortion law is going to be signed today to make less abortions.

You must love abortion. You are the name caller.

Maybe you love terrorists and open borders too' and Democrats.

The name-calling per the above post may be breaking forum rules.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:44:25 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:44:19 pm »
Trump is not a "Man For All Seasons",  but this is the season for him. There's a lot of damage from the last eight years that needs to be undone, before we can get back to worrying about conservative 'purity.'

Two points, @dfwgator - some damage can't be undone after it's been done, and secondly there will be damage left after the Trump presidency that will need to be addressed also.  It's like when the government "cuts" the budget - they merely slow the increase. 

But, we've got to play the hand we've been dealt.  It's not the worst hand, nor is it the best.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
I hope Trump doesn't put Christians in the firing line like ya'll know Bush did.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:25 pm »
If the Mexico City policy goes out today to de-fund Planned Parenthood International; the "duped fools" already have done something to limit abortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Policy

And the cult can have their Rush-Limbaugh like talking Senator and say how conservative they are.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »
Such nonsense.  But then again, nonsense seems to be all you've got.   :shrug:

BTW, @catfish1957 --- please stay in the exile you claim to be in.  We've got work to do.

Nonsense?  Please don't ever dare to call yourself a conservative here.  You are the leader of the "Orange Duped Lollipop Gang" here.

Work to do?  I'd liken it more to destruction to what Reagan envisioned.  Don"t worry.  You and your ilk will be held accountable to what this NY left wing Reality TV star envokes his trillion $ FDR type plans.  Count on it.

Cheers.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »

That's a recipe for dictatorship of a different kind than what we have grown accustomed.

And not a good one, because the concept of a Constitutional Republic will be forever undone and lost.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:52:24 pm »
Abortion law is going to be signed today to make less abortions.

You must love abortion. You are the name caller.

Maybe you love terrorists and open borders too' and Democrats.

The name-calling per the above post may be breaking forum rules.

Like the time you called ever non-Trump supporter here the same as AlQaeda and ISIS?  You are one hypocritical puke.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »
Two points, @dfwgator - some damage can't be undone after it's been done, and secondly there will be damage left after the Trump presidency that will need to be addressed also.  It's like when the government "cuts" the budget - they merely slow the increase. 

But, we've got to play the hand we've been dealt.  It's not the worst hand, nor is it the best.

I'm just curious what you think the "best hand" would have been?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 06:00:21 pm »
Like the time you called every non-Trump supporter here the same as AlQaeda and ISIS?  You are one hypocritical puke.

I remember when he did that.  Yes.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 06:09:38 pm »

The hand we have been dealt is the proverbial "Trojan Horse" NY liberal who has been portrayed as a GOP conservative by the MSM.  Lose-Lose.  He may throw a few morsels of red meat out there, but he is not to be trusted.

Hand?  We conservatives have been dealt an off-suited 2-7, in the Big Blind.  Fold rapidly, and look at our 2020 cards.

Or.....   Best shorter term best case, DJT resigns, and allows Pence to govern.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

Yes, that's a good question too.  One that I've pondered a bit.  Optimally, we would have elected a Constitutional conservative who would have gotten in there and led a charge to slash regulations, spending and seriously cut the size of government.  Appointed good, solid judges, and worked to restructure our tax system.  Would have closed the borders and helped those here illegally to repatriate.  Would respect and support our military and would have been very judicious as to what we got into outside of our borders.  Would have gotten out of the way of the economy and allowed it to flourish.

But, that may be irrelevant.  I think that if our deficit spending and debt catch up to us, we're screwed regardless of who's in the Whitehouse.  If the left continues to make gains, and islam continues to aggressively encroach, we're screwed.  This could well be the time our chickens come home to roost and in that case, we need a good crisis manager in the Whitehouse. 

I've also wondered if having a Republican president right now (no matter what kind of R he is) is a good thing or not.  Do we want what well may be around the corner to have an -R on it? 

So, what did you want? 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:38 pm »
Rick Perry who signed so many pro-ife bills into law was heavily criticized too;

I guess the ticket is to talk like Rush Limbaugh and cloak oneself in the constitution.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 08:07:37 pm »
Rick Perry who signed so many pro-ife bills into law was heavily criticized too;

I guess the ticket is to talk like Rush Limbaugh and cloak oneself in the constitution.

Tom, sorry to be so blunt, but that makes no sense.  What are you trying to say?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:34 pm »

NOW....you're feeling me, Sanguine!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »

Exactly what I've been preaching in here since June 2015.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 08:24:31 pm »
From reality?

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 02:13:53 am »
Nonsense?  Please don't ever dare to call yourself a conservative here.  You are the leader of the "Orange Duped Lollipop Gang" here.

Work to do?  I'd liken it more to destruction to what Reagan envisioned.  Don"t worry.  You and your ilk will be held accountable to what this NY left wing Reality TV star envokes his trillion $ FDR type plans.  Count on it.

Cheers.

It's LOLLIPOP!  An acronym!

LOLLIPOP (Legions of Oppressed Laborers, Loyal Industrious Peasants and Other Proletariat)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:14:31 am by HonestJohn »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 02:31:41 am »
The hand we have been dealt is the proverbial "Trojan Horse" NY liberal who has been portrayed as a GOP conservative by the MSM.  Lose-Lose.  He may throw a few morsels of red meat out there, but he is not to be trusted.

How many days has he been POTUS?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 02:40:21 am »
How many days has he been POTUS?

On Day 2 he is already balking on disclosing finances.  What is he trying to hide?  Does he intend to ride the COI route and get richer on the backs of taxpayers?

Does This sound like a POTUS to be trusted?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 03:19:25 am »

Cheers.

:yawn2:

More nonsense.  At least you never disappoint.  @catfish1957