Author Topic: Here’s The One Senator Who Voted Against Mattis For SecDef  (Read 1569 times)

rangerrebew

Here’s The One Senator Who Voted Against Mattis For SecDef
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:39:29 pm »
Here’s The One Senator Who Voted Against Mattis For SecDef
Photo of Rachel Stoltzfoos
Rachel Stoltzfoos
Reporter
6:34 PM 01/20/2017

Marine Gen. James Mattis, commander, U.S. Central Command, testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, March 5, 2013, before the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing to review of the Defense Authorization Request for Fiscal Year 2014 and the Future Years Defense Program. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Only one senator voted “no” on the confirmation of Gen. James Mattis as the next secretary of defense.

The Senate overwhelmingly confirmed the popular retired Marine Corps general Friday, following the inauguration of Donald Trump as president, 98-1. New York Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand was the sole no vote.

Mattis is the first member of Trump’s cabinet to be confirmed. His approval process required the extra step of a special waiver from Congress because he has not been out of the military for the required seven years.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/20/heres-the-one-senator-who-voted-against-mattis-for-secdef/#ixzz4WOonKKST

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
Re: Here’s The One Senator Who Voted Against Mattis For SecDef
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Mattis IS a civilian.  How long do you have to be retired before you become a civilian?  Who decided seven years was the average decompression time needed?

I retired October 31st, 1998.  On November 1st, I was a civilian.  There is only one military related item in my office, my shadow box.  My husband retired June 30, 2002.  He's still not a "civilian" (one look at his man cave will confirm that.)  He never will be.

I swear, if I hear "civilian control of the military" one more time I will begin shrieking.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
On a different note, who were the 11 who voted against General Kelly for Homeland Security?

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:28:09 pm »
On a different note, who were the 11 who voted against General Kelly for Homeland Security?
Good question.  I'm delighted to wave buh-bye to Jeh Johnson. 
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »
I got the vote tally from the Senate's website:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00030

These were the NAY votes against Gen. John Kelly for Homeland Security

NAYs ---11

Blumenthal (D-CT)
Booker (D-NJ)
Cortez Masto (D-NV)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Harris (D-CA)
Heinrich (D-NM)
Merkley (D-OR)
Udall (D-NM)
Van Hollen (D-MD)
Warren (D-MA)
Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 1
Sessions (R-AL)

It looks like my senator ( shaking my head in disgust) , Kirsten Gillibrand voted NAY both times.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:34:07 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »
It looks like my senator ( shaking my head in disgust) , Kirsten Gillibrand voted NAY both times.
And she'll get re-elected with flying colors in 2018. I Love New York! **nononono*
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:42 am »

...foreign AND domestic   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald