Author Topic: Trump Issues Executive Order Scaling Back Parts of Obamacare  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Vulcan

Trump Issues Executive Order Scaling Back Parts of Obamacare
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:13:31 am »
WASHINGTON — In his first executive order, President Trump on Friday directed government agencies to scale back as many aspects of the Affordable Care Act as possible, moving within hours of being sworn in to fulfill his pledge to eviscerate Barack Obama’s signature health care law.

The one-page order, which Mr. Trump signed in a hastily arranged Oval Office ceremony shortly before departing for the inaugural balls, gave no specifics about which aspects of the law it was targeting. But its broad language gave federal agencies wide latitude to change, delay or waive provisions of the law that they deemed overly costly for insurers, drug makers, doctors, patients or states, suggesting that it could have wide-ranging impact, and essentially allowing the dismantling of the law to begin even before Congress moves to repeal it.

more here

geronl

Re: Trump Issues Executive Order Scaling Back Parts of Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:49:32 am »
In other words, written law is meaningless in this country and can be changed on a whim

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »
In other words, written law is meaningless in this country and can be changed on a whim

The past 8 years proved that statement true. 

Offline beandog

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:26:11 pm »
If one Preident can make law by issuing Executive Orders than another can get rid of a law by issuing Executive Orders.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »
Its pretty vague and doesn't really scale anything back. It looks like it just says things can be scaled back whatever that means.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »
If one Preident can make law by issuing Executive Orders than another can get rid of a law by issuing Executive Orders.

Every democrat president from now to eternity will use EOs to change existing law.  While I understand the concept of two wrongs don’t make a right, Republicans will have to do the same and should as they fight the tyranny of the left.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:06:17 pm »
Every democrat president from now to eternity will use EOs to change existing law.  While I understand the concept of two wrongs don’t make a right, Republicans will have to do the same and should as they fight the tyranny of the left.

That way leads to perpetual chaos and wild policy swings and eventual civil war. Law must be made by constitutional legislative methods or we may as well drop the pretense of the presidency being anything more than a dictatorship.

Mike Lee is on the right track with his Global Trade Accountability Act.

Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced the Global Trade Accountability Act Friday, a bill that would subject all Executive Branch trade actions (including raising tariffs) to congressional approval.

http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=press-releases&id=8DA8C6CF-3413-4D60-9985-3CB8CAE83157

A president does need executive orders in his tool box but they should be hidden in the bottom and nearly forgotten and when a president does sign an EO they should be followed up by legislative action.

When Ted Cruz won the Medellin vs Texas case in front of the supreme court the court ruled that the president may make treaties but those treaties didn't bind the state if there was no accompanying legislation to bind the states. My state and others are now using that precedent to keep our state imposed sanctions against Iran in place.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »

EO's are not law. They are supposed to be used to organize the executive branch of government.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »

So, you are saying the GOP should just act like Democrats. Wow. The GOP today is the left too.

This is why I'm not a Republican

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:17 pm »
Interesting, I guess they are still working through some of the technical details of keeping the WH website updated. It used to be the text of EOs and such was posted within the hour of being signed. Still blank even though several have already been signed.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions

Hard to really make a comment on it without knowing what is in it.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »

So, it really is 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'?

Offline beandog

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
So, it really is 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'?
So would you prefer we just let the Rats do it and we be "above" it.  Until the Courts or Congress stop it, it is what it is.

Offline beandog

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 05:43:24 pm »
EO's are not law. They are supposed to be used to organize the executive branch of government.
What they are supposed to be used for and what they are used for have become two different things.  Like I said, until the Courts or Congress put a stop to it, it is what it is.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 05:58:34 pm »
I'm not wringing my hands over this one. Obama delayed numerous provisions of ACA after it was signed into law. Many onerous provisions were delayed until after he was to leave office.

The Legislative Branch has failed to act as a co-equal branch of our federal government, maybe they'll regrow their backbones during this Administration.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 06:01:28 pm »
So would you prefer we just let the Rats do it and we be "above" it.  Until the Courts or Congress stop it, it is what it is.

If we subvert the Constitution (and I'm not saying that's what happened here as we don't actually know what's in the EO yet), then we are no better than the Dems. Just because they did it that way is no excuse.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:05 pm »
Its pretty vague and doesn't really scale anything back. It looks like it just says things can be scaled back whatever that means.
It's very vague.  No specifics, no teeth.  It doesn't require anyone to do anything.  Just passes the buck to "the agencies."

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 08:12:05 pm »
So, you are saying the GOP should just act like Democrats. Wow. The GOP today is the left too.

This is why I'm not a Republican

I'm not a Republican either and haven't been since Jorge Bush tried foisting his 2007 amnesty on the nation.

The RATs play dirty.  If you believe the Republicans can defeat them by playing by the rules you are mistaken.  The Kenyan has established a new era where laws appear meaningless and every RAT president to follow will do the same.  Either the Republicans change the law to prevent such things from occurring again in the future or they play by the same rules.  There is no other option.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 08:16:28 pm »
That way leads to perpetual chaos and wild policy swings and eventual civil war. Law must be made by constitutional legislative methods or we may as well drop the pretense of the presidency being anything more than a dictatorship.

There was no civil war when the RATs did it.

Perhaps we need a new law that limits what can and what cannot be done using the EO.  Because you can bet every RAT president will follow Hussein's lead.   Either Republicans find a way to stop that or they do the same.

Offline beandog

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 08:25:43 pm »
If we subvert the Constitution (and I'm not saying that's what happened here as we don't actually know what's in the EO yet), then we are no better than the Dems. Just because they did it that way is no excuse.
If the Constitution is being subverted that is what the Courts are for.  I'm sure the Rats will have know problem taking Pres. the Donald to Court if they think they have a chance.