Author Topic: Hearing derailed after senator suggests colleague needs Valium  (Read 852 times)

Online corbe

Hearing derailed after senator suggests colleague needs Valium
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:13 pm »
Hearing derailed after senator suggests colleague needs Valium

By Peter Schroeder - 01/19/17 10:55 AM EST

Steven Mnuchin’s confirmation hearing quickly went off the rails Thursday as Democrats and Republicans feuded over a GOP lawmaker's quip about giving antidepressants to the panel’s top Democrat.

Mnuchin, President-elect Donald Trump’s pick to head the Treasury Department, had yet to give his opening statement before the Senate Finance Committee when an offhand remark by Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) riled up committee members.

Roberts, who was permitted to ask a handful of questions before jumping to another hearing, jabbed at Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) after he gave a lengthy critique of Mnuchin’s experience.

“Sen. Wyden, I’ve got a Valium pill here that you might want to take for a second round,” he joked.

The crack did not go over well with Democrats. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) pounced on the remarks, calling it an inauspicious start to the committee’s work for the year. And Wyden accused Roberts of wasting precious time.
“I just can’t quite believe that the senator would say that,” said Brown. “I just hope that doesn’t set the tone for 2017.”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/315054-hearing-derailed-after-senator-suggests-colleague-needs-valium

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

Re: Hearing derailed after senator suggests colleague needs Valium
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:08 pm »
Sounds like the Democrat Party is  increasingly in need of safe spaces
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »
“I just can’t quite believe that the senator would say that,” said Brown. “I just hope that doesn’t set the tone for 2017.”

Heaven forbid.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:37:26 pm by skeeter »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:51 pm »

Most of the country hopes this sets the tone you effete piece of garbage.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »

Heaven forbid.

Senator, the tone was set a few days ago, when Lieawatha of the Flipping Tipi Tribe refused to shake the hand of Betsy DeVos.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »

Heaven forbid.

He had a spell of the vapours.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:17:14 pm »
Steven Mnuchin’s confirmation hearing quickly went off the rails Thursday as Democrats and Republicans feuded over a GOP lawmaker's quip about giving antidepressants to the panel’s top Democrat.

Valium is far from an antidepressant.  It's a benzodiazepine (think anti-anxiety, calming, sedative).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »
Valium is far from an antidepressant.  It's a benzodiazepine (think anti-anxiety, calming, sedative).
Exactly. It's not like Prozac or something was recommended. (Maybe Thorazine would have been in order for the writer).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:22:05 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:39 am »
Valium is a half measure.  Wyden needs a full frontal lobatomy. 

Offline beandog

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:12:43 am »
Valium is a half measure.  Wyden needs a full frontal lobatomy.
I thought you had to have one of those just to be a Rat. :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:03:22 am »

Beats the heck out of the tone the President set for 2009.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline rodamala

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 03:04:54 am »
Missing from the discussion is how this former Goldman exec-turned Hollywood producer, diverges from conservative fiscal policy boilerplate.

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:10:33 am »
  He was reaching into his pocket, as Brown went bat$hit crazy.
  Isn't it a Felony to transfer Valiums without a script? 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 03:11:55 am »
I thought you had to have one of those just to be a Rat. :laugh:

@beandog

I don't think any surgery is required.  The effect comes naturally to democrats.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien