Author Topic: Rick Perry: ‘I regret’ calling for the elimination of the Energy Department  (Read 5694 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

As he tries to convince the Senate to put him in charge of the Energy Department, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry will tell lawmakers Thursday that he was wrong to recommend eliminating that same department.
During his 2012 presidential campaign, Mr. Perry, President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for energy secretary, advocated getting rid of the Energy Department, along with several other federal agencies. At one GOP primary debate he was unable to remember all of the departments he sought to scrap, leading to his infamous “Oops” moment.
More than four years later, Mr. Perry now is a full-throated supporter of the Energy Department and said he’s learned a great deal about the agency’s role through conversations with current Secretary Ernest Moniz and others.
“I have learned a great deal about the important work being done every day by the outstanding men and women of the DOE. I have spoken several times to Secretary Moniz and his predecessors. If confirmed, my desire is to lead this agency in a thoughtful manner, surrounding myself with expertise on the core functions of the department,” Mr. Perry will tell the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Thursday morning, according to excerpts released by the Trump transition team.
“My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking,” the former governor will say. “In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination. If confirmed, I will enter this role excited and passionate about advancing the core missions of the DOE, and drawing greater attention to the vital role played by the agency and the hard working men and women who dedicate themselves in pursuit of these missions.”
Mr. Perry also will tell lawmakers he believes climate change is real. Rep. Ryan Zinke, Mr. Trump’s nominee for Interior secretary, and Scott Pruitt, tapped to
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/19/rick-perry-i-regret-calling-elimination-energy-dep/

In article he also says climate change is real.

One sorry politician who am glad did not make it to the top of the heap.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
But yet he has made it to the top of the heap...hes going to be the head of an agency in the executive branch of the Federal government. 

And Governor Good Hair is proving he's willing to say and do anything to get the job.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

But yet he has made it to the top of the heap...hes going to be the head of an agency in the executive branch of the Federal government. 

And Governor Good Hair is proving he's willing to say and do anything to get the job.

IMO, it won't take long for them to learn that they are merely figureheads for the Donald, Trump's his own kitchen cabinet.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
IMO, it won't take long for them to learn that they are merely figureheads for the Donald, Trump's his own kitchen cabinet.

I agree. It will look something like this:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:45:36 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline SirLinksALot

He should be part of the inauguration entertainment....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'm sure the Conservative Firebrand Perry will figure it out, his experience is in doing not talking.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm sure the Conservative Firebrand Perry will figure it out, his experience is in doing not talking.

The former Texas campaign chair for Algore isn't as Conservative as you think.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He should be part of the inauguration entertainment....

Why do we always have to see the Perry-haters post this? He's one of the most accomplished politicians in the nation and bar none, not even Ron Paul; the top conservative out of the Lone-Star state in the last 30 years.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Why do we always have to see the Perry-haters post this? He's one of the most accomplished politicians in the nation and bar none, not even Ron Paul; the top conservative out of the Lone-Star state in the last 30 years.

The fact you consider RINO Ron Paul "conservative" should answer your question. 

Online corbe

h3ll, @TomSea probably thinks Trump is Conservative.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SirLinksALot

I don't hate Perry, I just found this entertaining.

But on a serious note....

The Dept. of Energy was formed in 1977 under Jimmy Carter. Prior to that we DID NOT have an energy department, neither did we have a Federal Department of Education. All of these functions were done by the STATES ( as they should be if we are to follow the constitution ).

Speaking of the Dept. of Energy, It's purpose for being created was to help ween the U.S. off of the use of FOREIGN oil.

That was better than 39 years ago and today the DOE has a 30 plus BILLION dollar budget, thousands and thousands of employees and does NOTHING in regard to its initial goal.

If things don't change.. they stay the same!

Oceander

The Dept. of Energy was formed in 1977 under Jimmy Carter. Prior to that we DID NOT have an energy department, neither did we have a Federal Department of Education. All of these functions were done by the STATES ( as they should be if we are to follow the constitution ).

Speaking of the Dept. of Energy, It's purpose for being created was to help ween the U.S. off of the use of FOREIGN oil.

That was better than 39 years ago and today the DOE has a 30 plus BILLION dollar budget, thousands and thousands of employees and does NOTHING in regard to its initial goal.

Energy is crucial to the national economy and is therefore in the Constitutional sweet spot for things Congress should have a major hand in. 

Offline SirLinksALot

Energy is crucial to the national economy and is therefore in the Constitutional sweet spot for things Congress should have a major hand in.

Energy is crucial, yes. It has been crucial since the times the Department of Energy DID NOT exist.

When the DOE was non-existent, I did not see America LACKING in this resource at all. In fact if any it was GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION and Price control that caused the energy crisis and the long lines on gas stations in the 1970's.

Leave it to the states and let the free market work.

HonestJohn

While that was one reason for the formation of the Department of Energy, the other big reason was to have one Department handle all aspects of the nation's nuclear program (from reactors to bombs to disposal of waste).  In essence, have a "one-stop shop" where anyone that needed a nuclear expert could go.

That's why they handled the development and production of our nuclear weapons and currently handle their maintenance. (and would design and build more if we were doing that)

And, I think, they are also responsible for helping develop nuclear power plants.  Or at least, having their nuclear scientists set the safety standards.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:47:04 pm by HonestJohn »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

**nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

While that was one reason for the formation of the Department of Energy, the other big reason was to have one Department handle all aspects of the nation's nuclear program (from reactors to bombs to disposal of waste).  In essence, have a "one-stop shop" where anyone that needed a nuclear expert could go.

That's why they handled the development and production of our nuclear weapons and currently handle their maintenance. (and would design and build more if we were doing that)

And, I think, they are also responsible for helping develop nuclear power plants.  Or at least, having their nuclear scientists set the safety standards.

Two things come to mind:

1) We don’t buy nuke material anymore since FERC won’t approve new permits. U.S sits on one of largest uranium reserves. DOE isn’t needed for that. We should allow fuel rods to be reprocessed, like France.

2) If the government needs to be responsible for the safety of nuclear power plants,

A) I don't see why we need a huge $30 billion department for that
B) Why can't the function be transferred to the Defense Department?

Thinks about it ... prior to Jimmy Carter, we had WWII nukes, nuclear power plants, SS Savannah, USS Nautilus, USS Enterprise and the rest .... Can someone really tell me that the the US  Navy simply could not have existed prior to the formation of DOE?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:21:08 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline beandog

Why shouldn't it be posted.  At least unlike what you post it's the truth.

Offline Just_Victor

Check with anyone from Texas, Perry is a lot of things, but "Conservative Firebrand," isn't one of them.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I agree. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

HonestJohn

Two things come to mind:

1) We don’t buy nuke material anymore since FERC won’t approve new permits. U.S sits on one of largest uranium reserves. DOE isn’t needed for that. We should allow fuel rods to be reprocessed, like France.

2) If the government needs to be responsible for the safety of nuclear power plants,

A) I don't see why we need a huge $30 billion department for that
B) Why can't the function be transferred to the Defense Department?

Thinks about it ... prior to Jimmy Carter, we had WWII nukes, nuclear power plants, SS Savannah, USS Nautilus, USS Enterprise and the rest .... Can someone really tell me that the the US  Navy simply could not have existed prior to the formation of DOE?

Are you really going to say that you'd rather have our nuclear facilities not guarded by our government?

As for the rest, prior to the DoE, there was the Atomic Energy Commission, which as a civilian government organization in control of designing/producing/maintaining our nukes.  That was around since 1946 before it was folded into the DOE.

Even if we got rid of the DOE, we'd likely still have a civilian government agency in charge, albeit one without a direct line to the President.

---

The rest I agree with.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:37:56 pm by HonestJohn »

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SirLinksALot

Are you really going to say that you'd rather have our nuclear facilities not guarded by our government?

Please re-read what I wrote ( and you quoted ). My post clearly said THE OPPOSITE.

Here's what going to happen... See here:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/01/19/oh-baby-dramatic-cuts-are-coming-to-federal-government/

TITLE:  “Dramatic” cuts are coming to federal government

EXCERPT:

The cuts to the departments of Transportation, State and Justice were already expected. Several of their functions can easily be streamlined or combined into other departments. The Department of Energy under Rick Perry can have several of its more expensive functions reduced or transferred as well. (One possibility which has been under discussion this week is moving the control and maintenance of the nuclear arsenal into Defense where it would seem to make a lot more sense anyway.)

Liberal drivel.

Food is crucial to national security too so are you advocating that we let the feds control that?

You are delirious in thinking that we need a federal entity to control our energy.

Have you read the Constitution?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

BS - He may be ranked as a conservative by those outside Texas, there are many more conservatives here in this state that would rank as more conservative nationally.

Does Ted Cruz ring any bells at all? How about Louie Gohmert?

Offline Vulcan

Check with anyone from Texas, Perry is a lot of things, but "Conservative Firebrand," isn't one of them.

Yet many of the same people who believe he is also believe the same of lifelong liberal Donald Trump.

RINO Rick is an embarrassment, as is Trump.   His exchange with Al Franken was downright pathetic. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:07:15 am by Vulcan »