Author Topic: A New Joint Message from the Kremlin and the Trump Administration  (Read 1152 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Amid a calculated and proactive realignment by Russia and China ahead of the inauguration of Donald Trump, Europe appears tense and scattered. The Gulf states seem to be waiting in limbo, without a preemptive strategy. Iran appears vigilant, eager to preserve its regional gains and protect itself from the new U.S. administration that seems intent to scrutinize its every action. The UN has launched a new era with the inauguration of its new Secretary General Antonio Guterres earlier this month, amid reinvigorated efforts by the Security Council and international envoys in conflict zones from Libya to Yemen via Syria. Russia has commandeered the Syrian issue from the UN in Geneva, and taken it to its backyard in Astana, Kazakhstan, deliberately excluding the international organization from the Syrian peace process. The Gulf countries have responded by clinging to the UN role and resolutions, and by renewing their wager on the partnership with Europe in rejecting Russia’s hijacking of the issue and refusing to reward Moscow by allowing the talks in Astana to succeed, betting instead on their failure.

Washington is still familiarizing itself with the new president as it bids farewell to the 44th president, Barack Hussein Obama, amid a deep division among Americans regarding the identity of their country at home and its foreign policy, especially with regard to its leadership of the world and US-Russian relations. The 45th president, Donald J Trump, will enter the White House next week, in the middle of a storm of controversy, apprehension, but also enthusiasm from his uncritical supporters. He enters the White House armed with threats against the media and his ability to stir up social media. Meanwhile, the unprecedentedly public rift between the president-elect and U.S. intelligence services over alleged leaks and Russian hacking shows no sign of healing.

All indications suggest Trump will keep his campaign promises, unless his cabinet and the establishment manage to restrain his arbitrary tendencies. His nominee for secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, has given the House of Representatives a glimpse of his attitudes and convictions, but also made it clear that he had not coordinated in advance those positions with Trump, and that the final decision will be in the president’s hands. The priorities listed by Tillerson indicate that he desires a partnership with Russia against the terrorism of ISIS and similar groups, and fighting the rise of Sunni and Shiite radicalism alike including the Muslim Brotherhood, unlike the Obama administration which he blamed for supporting radical Islamism and the rise of ISIS, and the implications of the U.S. abandoning its global leadership and traditional alliances especially in the Middle East. Tillerson vowed that Iran would be under a microscope, whether with regard to its support for extremists and militias, or its implementation of its commitments under the nuclear deal, which will be kept in place apparently contrary to what was suggested on the campaign trail, but will be reviewed. The nominee appeared to be a pragmatist, well verses in the language if strategic interests, bringing to the post his experience in energy and geography. Tillerson also had a lot to say about Russia and China.

www.huffingtonpost.com/raghida.../a-new-joint-message-from_b_14180560.html

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:05:25 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

HonestJohn

Re: A New Joint Message from the Kremlin and the Trump Administration
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 07:32:41 pm »
Gag!  Formatting, please!!!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »
Gag!  Formatting, please!!!

I know, right? That happens to be the first "paragraph" in the article at the time I posted it.

Looks like it changed. Fixing...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:28:38 pm »
I'd say that China's got a limited amount of wiggle room with North Korea.

It's a bit like this, in that China:

1. Doesn't want to see North Korea collapse
1a. Doesn't want the mass refugees from a collapse
1b. Doesn't want their weapons in the hands of NK generals looking to gain control in a collapsed state.

2. Knows that North Korea is starving and isn't that far from a collapse in the first place.

Which, despite their dominance, really limits them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:29:55 pm by HonestJohn »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »
Related. Zombie nation.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/754100/north-korea-opium-drugs-hermit-state-pyongyang-nuclear-drugs-empire

Also, I think China is happy with the sabre-rattling of NK. Something about the movement of one hand keeps others blind to the movement of the right.

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:45:14 pm »
Related. Zombie nation.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/754100/north-korea-opium-drugs-hermit-state-pyongyang-nuclear-drugs-empire

Also, I think China is happy with the sabre-rattling of NK. Something about the movement of one hand keeps others blind to the movement of the right.

China really hates North Korea.  The only good thing about North Korea, to them, is that it's a buffer state between them and the USFK/PACOM forces.

They'd prefer a unified Korea under Seoul's control... but without any US forces on the peninsula or any relationship between the US and South Korea.

In essence, a return to the Imperial Chinese international relationship with Seoul.  Korea as a capitalistic client state.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:48:17 pm by HonestJohn »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:53:53 pm »
China really hates North Korea.  The only good thing about North Korea, to them, is that it's a buffer state between them and the USFK/PACOM forces.

They'd prefer a unified Korea under Seoul's control... but without any US forces on the peninsula or any relationship between the US and South Korea.

In essence, a return to the Imperial Chinese international relationship with Seoul.  Korea as a capitalistic client state.

As capitalism has risen in China, would a unified Korea be of use as a client state or a big competitor? And as a competitor that would (probably) mean in increased US presence.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:13 pm »

@HonestJohn

I lived in South korea for 3 years and never met anyone who thought China hates the North.  At most they consider them a tool. 

China has very little respect for anyone not chinese.   Heck they don't treat their own people very well.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:03:03 pm »
@HonestJohn

I lived in South korea for 3 years and never met anyone who thought China hates the North.  At most they consider them a tool. 

China has very little respect for anyone not chinese.   Heck they don't treat their own people very well.

Check out the microblogs on Sina Weibo.  You'll see the vitrol the ordinary Chinese have for North Korea.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:03:43 pm »
The one thing that both China and South Korea have in common is a fear of being overrun with refugees should North Korea collapse.   That's why to a degree they both want to keep the status quo.