Author Topic: Priebus says Iran deal is 'on life support'  (Read 1476 times)

Wingnut

Priebus says Iran deal is 'on life support'
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:50:36 pm »
Incoming White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said Sunday that the Iran nuclear agreement is on life support, but refused to say whether President-elect Donald Trump's administration would get rid of the deal.

“I think it’s on life support. I’ll put it that way. But I’m not here to declare one way or another ultimately where this is going to go,” Priebus told ABC’s “This Week.”

During the campaign, Trump slammed the Iran deal, vowing to make renegotiating or tearing it up completely a top priority of his administration.

But Trump’s choice for secretary of Defense recently said the United States must maintain its commitment to the deal, which was negotiated with Iran and international powers.
“I think it is an imperfect arms control agreement. It's not a friendship treaty,” James Mattis said during his confirmation hearing last week. “But when America gives her word, we have to live up to it and work with our allies.”

http://thehill.com/policy/international/314394-preibus-iran-deal-on-life-support

Offline dfwgator

Re: Priebus says Iran deal is 'on life support'
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »
Kill It!

Wingnut

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »
The Rubio-haters are probably happy Russia with their man Vlad just sent a load of uranium to Iran.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »
Sure.  And I've got some gently used urban infrastructure in Brooklyn I can sell ya.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:11:17 pm »
“I think it is an imperfect arms control agreement. It's not a friendship treaty,” James Mattis said during his confirmation hearing last week. “But when America gives her word, we have to live up to it and work with our allies.”

America didn't give its word.  That would require approval of the Senate.  The only one responsible for the promises made in that treaty is 0bama.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:46 pm »
The damage has been done.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 08:34:00 pm »
America didn't give its word.  That would require approval of the Senate.  The only one responsible for the promises made in that treaty is 0bama.

What Mattis stated, was to get confirmed. Later it is up to Trump AND the Senate, to revisit the subject.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:45:13 pm »

It impliedly passed muster with Congress given that the Congress didn't undo it when it was under consideration.  And until and unless someone has the cojones to actually undo it, it stands as an agreement the U.S. is expected to live up to.

Good luck with getting it chucked.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:45:33 pm »
What Mattis stated, was to get confirmed.

Agreed. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:45 pm »
What Mattis stated, was to get confirmed. Later it is up to Trump AND the Senate, to revisit the subject.

The Republicans who helped Obama get this travesty through Congress won't undo it.  Starting with Mitch McConnell.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:13:06 am »
It impliedly passed muster with Congress given that the Congress didn't undo it when it was under consideration.  And until and unless someone has the cojones to actually undo it, it stands as an agreement the U.S. is expected to live up to.

It's easy for us to chuck it. 

What's not so easy is that everyone else involved; Russian, the EU, Iran... do all consider it a valid agreement and have acted accordingly.

If we breach it, then Iran can do what it wants - *WITH* the understanding of all the other players - that Iran is the aggrieved party.

And that's not good for America.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 03:49:17 am »

Durn it, what are you waiting for?

Pull the plug!

(Well, ok, January 20 isn't quite here yet...)

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:40 am »

Durn it, what are you waiting for?

Pull the plug!

(Well, ok, January 20 isn't quite here yet...)

How does our pulling the plug affect the deal in place with other nations? (Serious question)

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 01:38:29 am »

Treaties either pass a vote in the Senate with 2/3 of the Senators present confirming the treaty, or it doesn't exist.  Everything else is just tap dancing around the Constitution.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.