Author Topic: Ringling Bros. Circus closing for good after 146 years, Ann Coulter knows why  (Read 452 times)

rangerrebew

Ringling Bros. Circus closing for good after 146 years, Ann Coulter knows why
January 15, 2017 | Carmine Sabia | Print Article   

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is closing its tent flap after 146 years in business citing high operational costs and low attendance.

The Feld family, who own what is known as “The Greatest Show on Earth,” said ticket sales fell drastically when the elephant acts were phased out at the behest of animal rights groups like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

“We know now that one of the major reasons people came to Ringling Bros. was getting to see elephants,” Juliette Feld told the Associated Press. “We stand by that decision. We know it was the right decision. This was what audiences wanted to see and it definitely played a major role.”

PETA heralded the decision as a victory.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/01/15/ringling-bros-circus-closing-good-146-years-ann-coulter-knows-435724
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:30:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Seems people also wanted to see 'Elephants' running the government too.     :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I saw a lot of Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus performances when I was a kid and
my parents took me to the old Madison Square Garden (8th Avenue) every other year. (I think
they figured it'd be different every other year, since it didn't exactly cost a week's salary
for tickets.) Personally, I loved the clowns the most. Though I wasn't quite old enough to have
seen the great Emmett Kelly, Sr., even if he did bequeath an inadvertent baseball legacy when
New York World Telegram cartoonist Willard Mullin---hopping a cab to Ebbets Field in the
mid 1930s and hearing his driver ask him, "So how'll those bums do today?"---got an idea
and sketched a caricature of Kelly's Weary Willie hobo clown persona to represent the Brooklyn
Dodgers (and the Los Angeles Dodgers after they moved, right up to Mullin's retirement):

Come to think of it, a lot of people don't seem to mind clowns running the government, too. Except
those clowns are about as funny as a screen door on a submarine . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.