Author Topic: ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ considered throughout Georgia  (Read 812 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
‘Sanctuary Campuses’ considered throughout Georgia
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »

In the wake of last year’s presidential election, multiple colleges in Georgia have expressed interest in becoming “sanctuary campuses” as a means of protecting undocumented immigrants studying there, sparking conflict with the Board of Regents (BOR) as well as state legislators.

Emory University is one of the colleges in question, having received a petition from hundreds of students and faculty in November 2016 which requested that administrators consider making Emory a hospitable and safe environment for undocumented students; among other things, the petition requests that Emory supply legal support for students who need assistance with immigration law, as well as that it work with local police to provide protection from federal immigration officials.

Administrators from Emory responded with a press release in which they reaffirmed the institution’s support for admitting and providing financial aid to students currently protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) program.

Furthermore, the administrators — among them, President Claire Sterk and Emory’s Dean of Campus Life — stated that they would be “evaluating” the request and meeting with students to determine “how best to serve those in [their] community
whose immigration status puts them at risk” in the near and uncertain future.

Emory media relations employees later gave a statement to FOX 5 news reiterating that they follow and will continue to follow federal law, and that they utilize private funds to give undocumented students scholarships based on need and merit.

Other private institutions in Georgia, such as Agnes Scott College in Decatur, have expressed similar support for accepting undocumented students.

Excerpted: nique.net

By Maura Currie on January 13, 2017

http://nique.net/news/2017/01/13/sanctuary-campuses-considered-throughout-georgia/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ considered throughout Georgia
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »
I wonder what the citizens of Georgia think about that? Aw, heck, who cares?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »
I wonder what the citizens of Georgia think about that? Aw, heck, who cares?
@Sanguine

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:59:18 pm »
Fine.  No more federal funds for these universities, or federal loans for their students.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
Fine.  No more federal funds for these universities, or federal loans for their students.

And any resumes from graduates of those schools go straight into the trash.