Author Topic: The inauguration hasn't happened yet, and already Trump has started wearing out his welcome  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
David Lauter
Los Angeles Times
January 13, 2017

As a developer and a reality TV star, Donald Trump seemed to believe there was no such thing as too much publicity.

Already, as president elect, he’s finding that’s not so.

Trump is still a week away from being sworn in as president, but judging by the latest polls, he’s already started to wear out his welcome...

Only 44% of Americans approve of Trump’s transition so far, according to the latest Gallup figures, released Friday. A poll earlier in the week by Quinnipiac University pegged the number even lower — only 37% approved of Trump in that survey.

In either case, Trump stands far below the norm for a new president. In Gallup’s surveys, for example, 68% of Americans approved of Bill Clinton’s transition just before he took office, 61% approved of George W. Bush and a whopping 83% approved of Barack Obama.

Polls don’t say precisely why Trump’s standing has dropped, but there’s strong reason to think over-exposure plays a part...
Full article

Offline endicom

And he will surely lose to Hillary in the November election.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
And he will surely lose to Hillary in the November election.
Both lost. Neither achieved a majority, and both were hated by just about everyone. So if you liked either one, yes, that means you're a nobody.

There is no honeymoon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline endicom

There is no honeymoon.

It takes two. Which are you?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
LA Times - 'nuff said.  Wishful thinking feeling on their part.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
LA Times - 'nuff said.  Wishful thinking feeling on their part.

This is one man's opinion. It's not an editorial from the LAT editorial board.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is one man's opinion. It's not an editorial from the LAT editorial board.

Yes, but he's part of the collective.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Both lost. Neither achieved a majority, and both were hated by just about everyone. So if you liked either one, yes, that means you're a nobody.

There is no honeymoon.

:thumbsup:

I'm waiting and seeing what Trump does. Been mixed so far I would say. I would say he's done a lot better than I thought back in November right after the election.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Quoting the Los Angeles times is like reading an article from a pile of garbage.

Obama is so jealous of what Trump has already made happen prior to his official swearin - Lockheed and other companies promising jobs to remain American, Taiwan and Israel making contacts, the sanctuary cities' anxiety.

The only thing Obama was able to do prior to the election was to get awarded a worthless Nobel prize for doing nothing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

There is no honeymoon.

The way this country actually operates is not from some fanciful meme you drum up.  As per the Constitution, there was a clear winner as yes, Trump did receive a majority of the Electoral College, which is how a President is elected.

Did you get taught some other way?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

Who's reading this crap? Anyone can see the MSM is butthurt mightily and is impotently venting its rage.

The only purpose of stories like this is to make the soiled shorts crowd feel better.

Offline corbe

This has to be Liberal dribble, and I'm getting tired of being rounded up with the usual suspects that hate Trump for all the wrong reasons, They hate him cause he's got an (R) behind his name, I distrust his roots in NY liberalism.
    So far, some of his picks have given me room to breath, I just hope he listens to them.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

• Technical
The way this country actually operates is not from some fanciful meme you drum up.  As per the Constitution, there was a clear winner as yes, Trump did receive a majority of the Electoral College, which is how a President is elected.

Did you get taught some other way?

Nothing you said invalidates what jrmy said.

Nothing you said invalidates what jrmy said.
Wrong.  Trump did achieve a Constitutional majority and actually won.  Those are two points that are facts, not whims or preferences like he whistles about.

• Technical
Wrong.  Trump did achieve a Constitutional majority and actually won.  Those are two points that are facts, not whims or preferences like he whistles about.

Fine believe what you want.

Oceander

Ahh yes, what the holder of the indefensible position does:  plays with words.  What, pray tell, is a "constitutional majority"?  A majority of the electoral college?  If so, then there is no argument, that's obvious, duh.  A majority of the popular vote?  No.  And it seems that is what you're trying to imply, which makes you a liar.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
But @endicom specifically stated the NOVEMBER election. The electoral votes were in DECEMBER. So he must have been referring to the popular vote, in which case neither one "won" the popular vote.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:10:39 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
But @endicom specifically stated the NOVEMBER election. The electoral votes were in DECEMBER. So he must have been referring to the popular vote, in which case neither one "won" the popular vote.

So, with you, it depends on what the definition of "is", is?

Come on, @jmyrlefuller

The electoral votes in your column on the night of November 8th are designated to the one who got the majority of the popular vote in that respective State.

Geesh......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quirky ideas from that statement.

Are you possibly suggesting that the November election was not 'won' by Trump and the only 'win' is when the Electoral college meets?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:26:17 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Ahh yes, what the holder of the indefensible position does:  plays with words.  What, pray tell, is a "constitutional majority"?  A majority of the electoral college?  If so, then there is no argument, that's obvious, duh.  A majority of the popular vote?  No.  And it seems that is what you're trying to imply, which makes you a liar.
So you are stating the fact that Trump won the Presidential election is an 'indefensible' position?

I am unsure of even how to respond to something as idiotic as that.

And if you read the Constitution, you will determine that a majority of the votes cast by the Electoral College constitutes a 'constitutional majority'.

It is most decidedly not what is a majority of the popular vote.  That is mentioned no where in the Constitution that decides elections.

Going through all of that plays right into the hands of those who wish to dissolve the Republican Form of Government that our Founders created by eliminating the Electoral College and is simply not even important at all on how this election was run or won.

And calling someone a bald-faced liar does not win very many arguments.  No reason to reduce yourself to that type of language.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Both lost. Neither achieved a majority, and both were hated by just about everyone.

Essentially, the election was between Caligula and Queen Athaliah. One of them won the Electoral College without
being the overwhelming popular favourite. It wasn't the first time that happened in a presidential election and
it won't be the last, but it is fair to say it was an election between the two least liked candidates our country has
yielded up in an extremely long time, which speaks only too ill of those who rushed to make them the candidates
in the first place as well as their parties who yielded up nothing much better to challenge them.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Hoodat

The inauguration hasn't happened yet, and already Trump has started wearing out his welcome

What welcome?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
We still have a few days left before the inauguration.  After that I'm sure I'll be bitching about the Trump administration's wrong moves.  Until then I'm keeping the blinders on and enjoying a few more days of ignorant bliss. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We still have a few days left before the inauguration.  After that I'm sure I'll be bitching about the Trump administration's wrong moves.  Until then I'm keeping the blinders on and enjoying a few more days of ignorant bliss.

:beer: