Author Topic: Sessions on Sotomayor: 'Post-Modern, Relativistic, Secular Mindset ... Contrary To The Founding of Our Republic'  (Read 1376 times)

rangerrebew

Sessions on Sotomayor: 'Post-Modern, Relativistic, Secular Mindset ... Contrary To The Founding of Our Republic'

In a speech about the Constitution and the Supreme Court, Senator Jeff Sessions -- the attorney general nominee picked by Donald Trump -- said Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in her speeches over many years, expressed a "post-modern, relativistic, secular mindset" that is "directly contrary to the founding of our republic."

During a June 10, 2016 speech at the Faith & Freedom Coalition Conference in Washington, D.C., Senator Sessions discussed the research that was done for the Senate confirmation hearing of Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, who was confirmed to the high court in August 2009.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/sen-sessions-judge-sotomayor-post-modern-relativistic-secular-mindset

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Which is why obama nominated her.

Speaking of which, any word on who will be nominated for the open seat?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
In a speech about the Constitution and the Supreme Court, Senator Jeff Sessions -- the attorney general nominee picked by Donald Trump -- said Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in her speeches over many years, expressed a "post-modern, relativistic, secular mindset" that is "directly contrary to the founding of our republic."

And he is entirely correct in saying that!  ENTIRELY correct!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

Many of our founding fathers were Masons.

Jefferson was pretty agnostic, going so far as to craft is own bible which eliminated all the supernatural elements (ie: miracles, etc).  Paine was an athest.

Pennsylvania was founded by Quakers as a religiously tolerant colony,   Relatively speaking, to the religious authorities of Europe, they were heretics who deviated from the true orthodoxy.

After our Revolution, our own government - that of a Republic, was also looked upon by the European powers as an aberration, a government that deviated from the true and proper monarchies.

Relatively speaking, we were the deviants.

So I'd say that relativism and secularism had a place in the founding of America. (to an extent)

---

We were the deviants that changed the world.  We made our deviations *THE* standard for the western world.  If not the entire world.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:14:43 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Many of our founding fathers were Masons.

Jefferson was pretty agnostic, going so far as to craft is own bible which eliminated all the supernatural elements (ie: miracles, etc).  Paine was an athest.

Pennsylvania was founded by Quakers as a religiously tolerant colony,   Relatively speaking, to the religious authorities of Europe, they were heretics who deviated from the true orthodoxy.

After our Revolution, our own government - that of a Republic, was also looked upon by the European powers as an aberration, a government that deviated from the true and proper monarchies.

Relatively speaking, we were the deviants.

So I'd say that relativism and secularism had a place in the founding of America. (to an extent)

---

We were the deviants that changed the world.  We made our deviations *THE* standard for the western world.  If not the entire world.

Two comments - for a semi-agnostic, Jefferson went to a lot of time and effort to study and compare religions.

And, Paine was NOT an atheist:

As he wrote, “I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches … appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.”

The fame of being a godless atheist followed Paine like a shadow forever afterwards. But the punch line in all of this is that Paine was anything but an atheist. It was precisely because he believed in God that he despised organized religions since—in his view—these turned the divine mystery into bad mythology, and projected onto God their own psychotic hopes and fears. In Paine’s brand of freedom-loving spirituality, God was something greater than any religion...

http://disinfo.com/2011/12/the-filthy-little-atheist-founding-father/

HonestJohn

Two comments - for a semi-agnostic, Jefferson went to a lot of time and effort to study and compare religions.

And, Paine was NOT an atheist:

Thank you for that!  Agnostic it is.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Thank you for that!  Agnostic it is.

No, just anti-religion.  He did believe deeply in God.  I empathize with him.

HonestJohn

No, just anti-religion.  He did believe deeply in God.  I empathize with him.

Isn't that agnostic?  A belief in G-d, but unsure as to which religion's.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I understand it to mean that knowledge of God is unknowable - as in, He/she/it may exist, but no way we can know that.  Sort of a cop-out.

Offline DB

Asset forfeiture without due process is also contrary to the founding of our Republic. Sessions is a big fan of that is he not?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Agnostic is more for people who don't know whether God exists or not.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

Agnostic is more for people who don't know whether God exists or not.

Hmm.  There needs to be a term for those who believe in G-d but don't believe/don't know in religion.

I call it "gnodab". ('Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist' reference)