Author Topic: Democrats’ role for Mattis: The anti-Trump  (Read 907 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats’ role for Mattis: The anti-Trump
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:44:59 am »

Democrats’ role for Mattis: The anti-Trump

They sought assurances he will stand behind the Iranian nuclear deal and offer ‘frank advice’ to the new president.

By Austin Wright and Jeremy Herb

01/12/17 02:27 PM EST

James Mattis is the one Donald Trump Cabinet pick whom Democrats could unilaterally block. Instead, they made clear Thursday their resounding support for the retired Marine Corps general, touting him as their best hope for reining in a president-elect who has unorthodox views on matters of war and peace.

Mattis sailed through his confirmation hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, fielding mostly gentle questions and easily sidestepping the few attempts by senators to trip him up.

Immediately after the session, which lasted just over three hours, the panel voted to exempt Mattis from a law barring military officers from serving as defense secretary until they’ve been out of uniform seven years.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/james-mattis-confirmation-hearing-takeaways-233550
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: Democrats’ role for Mattis: The anti-Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:45:15 am »
Obviously it seems I got this one wrong.  If the DEMS are supporting Mattis, it can't be good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:15:15 am »
Obviously it seems I got this one wrong.  If the DEMS are supporting Mattis, it can't be good.

I think the are keeping their powder dry, we're gonna see a huge fireworks display when Pruitt for EPA chief comes up, for sure and the labor pick also, Environment whackos and the Union thugs must be placated.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:54 am »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:28 am »

Maybe they figure he'll roll back all those VERY popular social reforms and they and the MSM can have a field day.

And maybe they'll find out those social reforms weren't as popular as they thought.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 03:44:07 am »
They sought assurances he will stand behind the Iranian nuclear deal and offer ‘frank advice’ to the new president.

Anyone tell the Rats that it doesn't matter what Mattis stands behind? Donny will be in charge last time I checked.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:48:02 am »

Anyone tell the Rats that it doesn't matter what Mattis stands behind? Donny will be in charge last time I checked.

You're right Frank, Trump will be in charge.  However, it has always concerned me that as far as foreign policy goes, he doesn't have a clue.  Secondly, "Mattis offered reassurance to defense hawks in both parties that he was not changing his longstanding views on U.S. alliances, despite Trump’s “America First” approach. He offered a full-throated endorsement of NATO and other global partnerships — and denounced Russia as a belligerent actor that must be confronted."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:53:16 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 03:58:02 am »
You're right Frank, Trump will be in charge.  However, it has always concerned me that as far as foreign policy goes, he doesn't have a clue.

People keep saying he doesn't have a clue. Been saying that since he announced his candidacy. I know. I was one of them......but here we are. His picks for cabinet posts are fairly solid or generic GOP placeholders that don't concern me. Mexico is shitting their pants as their currency collapses to the point they are all for discussing the wall and NAFTA today. Companies right, left and center are stepping forward to shift production to the US. The first stages of the Obamacare repeal are underway. The MSM got their ass handed to them trying a smear that most other GOPers would have been mired in. Obama and the Rats are almost incoherent in their despondence as they leave office. All this and there is still a week until this dude takes office.

Forgive me if I don't muster the concern and worry others on this site seem to have. I usually only get bent out of shape when something real is going wrong.