Author Topic: As Trump Berates News Media, a New Strategy Is Needed to Cover Him  (Read 892 times)

Wingnut

imes. Watch in Times Video »
 Embed
Well, that sure escalated quickly.

“That” was Donald J. Trump’s inaugural news conference as a duly elected United States president-to-be, in which he called BuzzFeed a “failing pile of garbage,” called CNN “fake news” and more or less told the whole lot of reporters at Trump Tower to stuff it when it comes to his unreleased tax returns because everyday Americans don’t care and, anyway, “I won.”

There were two big lessons in the Wednesday morning melee at Trump Tower.

1. Mr. Trump remains a master media manipulator who used his first news briefing since July to expertly delegitimize the news media and make it the story rather than the chaotic swirl of ethical questions that engulf his transition.

2. The news media remains an unwitting accomplice in its own diminishment as it fails to get a handle on how to cover this new and wholly unprecedented president.

It better figure it out, fast, because it has found itself at the edge of the cliff. And our still-functioning (fingers crossed) democracy needs it to stay on the right side of the drop.

Journalists should know this by now: Mr. Trump’s gonna Trump. But it’s time for them to take a page from the 12-step playbook — accept the things they cannot change and then find the courage to change the things they can, in the right ways, not the wrong ways.

Given Mr. Trump’s past behavior, there was hardly any doubt that he was going to kneecap his inquisitors on Wednesday. It’s a passion, after all, if not a strategic imperative.

More:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/business/media/trump-media-news-conference.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:30:33 pm by Wingnut »

Wingnut

Re: As Trump Berates News Media, a New Strategy Is Needed to Cover Him
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »
I'm rather enjoying the whole thing.  Maybe the so-called press needs to be shaken up, made to feel uncomfortable.  There is a Sheriff in townand he has word of advice for the press: "You all stay right there...And don't play with yourself. Wouldn't look nice on my podium. You can think about it, but dooon't do it."   

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:39:59 pm »
I'm rather enjoying the whole thing.  Maybe the so-called press needs to be shaken up, made to feel uncomfortable.  There is a Sheriff in townand he has word of advice for the press: "You all stay right there...And don't play with yourself. Wouldn't look nice on my podium. You can think about it, but dooon't do it."   

I hate the MSM as much as the next conservative.  OTOH......   Looks like the orange turd wants to create an American version of Pravda.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:40:54 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 03:45:11 pm »

After watching 8 years of the Bush administration fall apart because they let the press destroy them with lies, I am excited to see someone get in their grill.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:15:49 pm »
After watching 8 years of the Bush administration fall apart because they let the press destroy them with lies, I am excited to see someone get in their grill.

Agreed.  They think their poop don't stank!   

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:55:08 pm »
I hate the MSM as much as the next conservative.  OTOH......   Looks like the orange turd wants to create an American version of Pravda.

Son, we've had an American version of Pravda for years.  We just divide it by major city: the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, the Los Angeles Times, etc.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!