Author Topic: Rep. Richmond: Scheduling Black Senator, Congressmen Last at AG Nominee’s Hearing Like ‘Being Made to Go to the Back of the Bus’  (Read 760 times)

rangerrebew

Rep. Richmond: Scheduling Black Senator, Congressmen Last at AG Nominee’s Hearing Like ‘Being Made to Go to the Back of the Bus’

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-La.) expressed outrage Wednesday that the Senate Judiciary Committee scheduled him, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) to testify last during a panel of witnesses at Sen. Jeff Sessions’ (R-Ala.) confirmation hearing for attorney general.

“First, I want to address my concerns about being made to testify at the very end of the witness panels,” Richmond said in his opening statement. “To have a senator, a House member, and a living civil rights legend testify at the end of all of this is the equivalent of being made to go to the back of the bus. It is a petty strategy, and the record should reflect my consternation at the unprecedented process that brought us here.

“My record on equality speaks for itself, and I don’t mind being last, but to have a living legend like John Lewis handled in such a fashion is beyond the pale, and the message sent by this process is duly noted by me and the 49 members of the Congressional Black Caucus and the 78 million Americans we represent and the over 17 (million) African-Americans that we represent,” he added.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/rep-richmond-scheduling-black-senator-congressmen-last-ag-nominees

Offline GrouchoTex

"Rep. Richmond: Scheduling Black Senator, Congressmen Last at AG Nominee’s Hearing Like ‘Being Made to Go to the Back of the Bus’"....

...and moving them to the front of the line would be the "soft bigotry of low expectations", meaning that some would feel that they could not find the front of the line on their own without help.

When every little thing is "racist", it begins to lose its meaning.

Offline Victoria33

I agree with Richmond.  The usual process is to have a Rep., then a Dem, then a Rep., etc..  I have watched Senate confirmation committee hearings for years and never seen ones against a person grouped together like this, and at the end.

Offline goatprairie

It would be easier to count the things these people don't call racist than what they call racist because for them virtually everything is racist.
 If you think I'm exaggerating a few months ago I was watching ESPN personage Michael Wilbon who stated that there is not one aspect of America life that is not affected by race. Not one. That means 80 year old, white Mrs. Smith in Minot, N.D. planting her tomatoes in the spring is thinking about doing something racist.  Which is why liberals are mentally disturbed.

Wingnut

Obama had the CBC in a trailer.... behind the bus for 8 years.  Now they are bitching?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Wait, let me guess.  Not being allowed to testify when you desire to, but being forced to abide by a schedule, is a racist microagression.  Am I right?  Did I win anything?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!