Author Topic: Donald Trump’s historic opportunity to remake the courts, in 1 chart  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald Trump’s historic opportunity to remake the courts, in 1 chart
The Washington Post, Jan 10, 2017, Chris Cillizza

Donald Trump's best day as a presidential candidate — prior to Nov. 8, of course — was May 18, 2016. That was the day Trump released the names of 11 people he would consider for the Supreme Court vacancy caused by the death of Antonin Scalia.

It was a very smart strategy. After all, conservatives had lots and lots of doubts about Trump — and some were even considering a challenge to him at the party's national convention. What he did by releasing those SCOTUS names was remind all of those conservatives of a very simple thing: If I'm president, we could tilt the federal judiciary — from the Supreme Court on down — conservative for a generation or more. If Hillary Clinton is president she could do the same but in the liberal direction.

In his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Trump declared that the Supreme Court “will be one of the most important issues decided by this election.” “The Supreme Court is what it’s all about,” Trump said in the third and final debate with Clinton, a sort of final reminder to conservatives of the stakes in the November election.

Unlike many things that Trump said during the course of the campaign, he wasn't exaggerating about the massive impact he can have on the federal judiciary. The chart below, which comes from the must-have quarterly PowerPoint slide decks of GOP lobbyist Bruce Mehlman, makes that point starkly.

<snip>

If you are looking for where Trump's presidency could matter most, it might not be in the legislative or even the executive branch. It could be the judiciary.

More:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/10/donald-trumps-massive-opportunity-to-remake-the-courts/?utm_term=.51d66e29b669

Re: Donald Trump’s historic opportunity to remake the courts, in 1 chart
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:58:49 am »
88devil 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:09:40 am »
In his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Trump declared that the Supreme Court “will be one of the most important issues decided by this election.” “The Supreme Court is what it’s all about,” Trump said in the third and final debate with Clinton

This is the same Donald Trump who lines up to the left of Bernie Sanders by supporting Kelo 100%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:07 am »
Not looking at Trump's opportunity in any branch of  government but rather this historic opportunity to fulfill his promises to the people who elected.  The people defeated an entire dynasty in order to hand him the keys to the White House. He needs to make good on his promises.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:18:07 am »
The people defeated an entire dynasty...

Or two.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:48 am »
This is the same Donald Trump who lines up to the left of Bernie Sanders by supporting Kelo 100%.

Explain, please @Hoodat --- with a link.

Thanks ever so.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:08 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

From July 19, 2005:

Cavuto: “What did you think of that decision? Was the court overdoing it with that decision?”

Trump: “Well, it’s sort of not a good one for me to say, because I noticed every article written about it said, ‘Will Donald Trump take over your home?’ sort of using me as the example, Neil. And it’s sort of — it’s an interesting situation to be in.

But I happen to agree with it 100 percent, not that I would want to use it. But the fact is, if you have a person living in an area that’s not even necessarily a good area, and government, whether it’s local or whatever, government wants to build a tremendous economic development, where a lot of people are going to be put to work and make an area that’s not good into a good area, and move the person that’s living there into a better place — now, I know it might not be their choice — but move the person to a better place and yet create thousands upon thousands of jobs and beautification and lots of other things, I think it happens to be good.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/conservative-group-attacks-trump-for-his-support-eminent-doman/akhgQXPNo00XUXNuWauARJ/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:51:27 am »
   Found photographic proof @Right_in_Virginia

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:40 am »
Explain, please @Hoodat --- with a link.

Thanks ever so.

Single Payer Healthcare ring a bell?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:52:03 am »
It would be nice if Trump would use the stunt that Dingy Harry pulled to pack the courts against the Dems and make them chome on it.

I'd also like to see him work with Congress to do away with some of the new judge positions that have been created in the last 8 years as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:05 am »
I'd also like to see him work with Congress to do away with some of the new judge positions that have been created in the last 8 years as well.

Here is the ultimate power.  It has been there since Day One.

Article 3, Section 1

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.

Congress can dissolve courts (except for the Supreme Court) any time it chooses, and start all over.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 03:52:38 am »
   Found photographic proof @Right_in_Virginia

Idiotic response @corbe , even for you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 04:05:13 am »
Idiotic response @corbe , even for you.

The respect you give me @Right_in_Virginia is way overblown. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 04:09:06 am »
   The respect you give me @Right_in_Virginia is way overblown.

I hope you're not looking for me to disagree @corbe

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 04:19:09 am »
I hope you're not looking for me to disagree @corbe

Not at all, Sweetheart. 
   It's been my life story that I seem to attract strong women that want to change me.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 06:05:31 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

I couldn't have said it better.

There is a lot of badness in the world today.  A lot of badness.  It's true, and I'm not the only one saying it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2NDf9LdDE