Author Topic: Dems to rehang painting depicting police as pigs, after GOP rep took it down  (Read 1516 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems to rehang painting depicting police as pigs, after GOP rep took it down
Published January 09, 2017 FoxNews.com

Democratic lawmakers plan to rehang a controversial painting on Capitol Hill that angered law enforcement groups with its depiction of police officers as pigs, after Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter personally took down the picture last week.

A Monday press release from the Congressional Black Caucus and Rep. Lacy Clay, D-Mo., whose office for months had sponsored the display of the student artwork, announced that Clay and CBC members will “rehang” the piece Tuesday morning in the Cannon Tunnel.

“The rehanging of this painting for public view represents more than just protecting the rights of a student artist, it is a proud statement in defense of the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees freedom of expression to every American,” the statement said, noting it had been “removed without permission or proper authority” by Hunter.

more
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/09/dems-to-rehang-painting-depicting-police-as-pigs-after-gop-rep-took-it-down.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sooo, if a Republican hung a painting by a student depicting blacks as feral animals, it would receive the same defense of free speach by these demonrats? :whistle:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Then take it down again, this time "in force".
Take it outside and burn it.
With cameras recording..

After that they won't be hangin' it up again!

Offline dfwgator

Why Trump won reason #321,132

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rep. Clay Attempts To File Charges Over Removal Of Painting Depicting Cops As Pigs

Posted By Kerry Picket On 9:20 PM 01/09/2017

WASHINGTON — Democratic Missouri Rep. Lacy Clay wants to file a theft charge with Capitol Hill Police against Republican California Rep. Duncan Hunter for removing a painting in the capitol that depicts police officers as pigs.

Clay told reporters Monday night that police spoke to his chief of staff earlier in the day and have not been helpful to the congressman in his quest to file charges against Hunter.

“I think he was way out of bounds and he broke the law. It’s called theft,” Clay said. “I don’t think anyone up here is qualified to be an art critic. I’m not and no other member is an art critic except one—Alma Adams of North Carolina.”

“They are trying to figure out what they are going to do. So you call the police and ask them what they’re going to do,” Clay said, who noted he was looking for Hunter on the House floor. “Sound like politics to me,” he later said about the police on the hill.

A source on the hill familiar with the matter claims that Clay “asked for law enforcement protection to be present when he puts the painting back up at 10 a.m. [Tuesday].”

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/09/rep-clay-attempts-to-file-charges-over-removal-of-painting-depicting-cops-as-pigs/?print=1
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
With the police?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Rep. Clay Attempts To File Charges Over Removal Of Painting Depicting Cops As Pigs

WASHINGTON — Democratic Missouri Rep. Lacy Clay wants to file a theft charge with Capitol Hill Police against Republican California Rep. Duncan Hunter for removing a painting in the capitol that depicts police officers as pigs.

Clay told reporters Monday night that police spoke to his chief of staff earlier in the day and have not been helpful to the congressman in his quest to file charges against Hunter.

“I think he was way out of bounds and he broke the law. It’s called theft,” Clay said. “I don’t think anyone up here is qualified to be an art critic. I’m not and no other member is an art critic except one—Alma Adams of North Carolina.”

“They are trying to figure out what they are going to do. So you call the police and ask them what they’re going to do,” Clay said, who noted he was looking for Hunter on the House floor. “Sound like politics to me,” he later said about the police on the hill.

A source on the hill familiar with the matter claims that Clay “asked for law enforcement protection to be present when he puts the painting back up at 10 a.m. [Tuesday].”

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/09/rep-clay-attempts-to-file-charges-over-removal-of-painting-depicting-cops-as-pigs/?print=1

Well, bless her heart.  She's obviously looking out for our interests.

I can't imagine how that tacky painting got hung in the first place.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Wingnut

With the police?
Cap Cops I believe.  Probably told her/him to go pound sand up her/his.....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:49:22 pm by Wingnut »

Offline ScottinVA

So.. Rep. Lacy Clay wanted the police to arrest Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., after Hunter -- out of respect for the police -- removed a "police as pigs" painting from the House wall.

Got it.

Offline dfwgator

So.. Rep. Lacy Clay wanted the police to arrest Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., after Hunter -- out of respect for the police -- removed a "police as pigs" painting from the House wall.

Got it.

Clay should taste a nightstick.

Wingnut

Got it.

Clay even tried to file a police report against Hunter for theft when he took down the painting. The U.S. Capitol Police, which did not like the painting and thanked Hunter for its removal, refused to take the complaint

When it comes to the Rats Black or white..You can't make this shit up. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:20:29 pm by Wingnut »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Ryan to intervene in GOP-CBC artwork spat

The move by GOP leadership could escalate a row between black lawmakers and Republicans over a painting depicting police officers as animals.

By Rachael Bade and Kyle Cheney

01/10/17 12:46 PM EST

Speaker Paul Ryan is personally weighing in on an increasingly ugly spat between black lawmakers and Republicans over a painting on display in the Capitol that depicts police officers as animals.

House Republicans complained during a closed-door meeting Tuesday that the painting, which Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) personally removed last week, was being rehung in the Cannon Office Building tunnel by Congressional Black Caucus members. Ryan, in response, assured his conference that the painting, which addresses strife between African-Americans and police in Ferguson, Mo., will be removed.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/congress-artwork-animals-cops-congressional-black-caucus-gop-233409
Support the USO

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The subject depected aside, the painting was not Hunter's to remove. It was not on Hunter's property. From all indication, it was put up with all the correct approvals. The proper procedure for Hunter would be to put up something that made the point regarding his viewpoint on the matter, not remove something that isn't his on property that isn't his.

If someone removed a pro-police painting or a cross off a wall in the same manner, we would be up in arms.

Wingnut

01/10/17 12:46 PM EST

Speaker Paul Ryan is personally weighing in on an increasingly ugly spat between black lawmakers and Republicans over a painting on display in the Capitol that depicts police officers as animals.

House Republicans complained during a closed-door meeting Tuesday that the painting, which Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) personally removed last week, was being rehung in the Cannon Office Building tunnel by Congressional Black Caucus members. Ryan, in response, assured his conference that the painting, which addresses strife between African-Americans and police in Ferguson, Mo., will be removed.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/congress-artwork-animals-cops-congressional-black-caucus-gop-233409

Good for Ryan.

Offline libertybele

DEMS are racist PIGS!!  I am disgusted by this whole situation...(need to vent)...what the hell is wrong with these stupid aholes?? **nononono*
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

The subject depected aside, the painting was not Hunter's to remove. It was not on Hunter's property. From all indication, it was put up with all the correct approvals. The proper procedure for Hunter would be to put up something that made the point regarding his viewpoint on the matter, not remove something that isn't his on property that isn't his.

If someone removed a pro-police painting or a cross off a wall in the same manner, we would be up in arms.

It wasn't put up with the proper credentials and authority. The rules clearly state in clear English that the work of art CANNOT be controversial. If Hunter pissed on it and threw it in the garbage, he would be absolutely fine. Also the GOP is in control of what happens in that building, not the perpetual losing Rats.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Not equivalent at all.  Pro-something is not the same as portraying police as pigs.  Positive ≠ negative.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

more
Tell it to the merchants in Baltimore or Fergusson, just to name two places.

I have little doubt the Capitol Hill Police are far too professional to let their coverage lapse, even selectively, but one can wish.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

Yep.

It's no better than someone driving up to the public square and removing a nativity scene because it offended them.

Offline mountaineer

Black Caucus: ‘We May Just Have To Kick Somebody’s Ass’ As Anti-Cop Painting Repeatedly Removed
 January 11, 2017
Washington, DC – The anti-police painting in the U.S. Capitol that was re-hung Tuesday morning in a ceremony staged by Rep. Lacy Clay, D-MO, was taken down again Tuesday afternoon.  Actually twice, in two separate incidents. Rep. Doug Lamborn, R-Colorado, Rep. Brian Babin, R-Texas, and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-California followed the lead of Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-California, in removing the painting from the wall.

According to Fox News, Rep. Doug Lamborn, R-Colorado, took the painting down again Tuesday, and returned it to Rep. Lacy’s office, stating that “it didn’t belong in the Capitol.”

In a statement, Rep. Lamborn said “Just yesterday, we honored Law Enforcement Appreciation Day. I could not, in good conscience, continue to walk by a painting that so flagrantly disrespected the brave police officers that protect us here in the Capitol and in our communities across the country.  I decided to continue the protest started by my colleague Congressman Hunter and I hope that permanent action is taken to remove this brazen attack on the brave men and women who make up the thin blue line.,” according to Politico.

Rep. Clay then rehung the painting.  A short time later, Rep. Rohrabacher took action.  The painting was taken down from the wall in a Capitol hallway later in the afternoon by Rep. Babin and Rep. Rohrabacher, who returned it to Rep. Clay’s office.  Rep. Clay then took the painting back and replaced it on the wall.  He stated that he was an “expert at hanging artwork.”

Rep. Rohrabacher responded and said that the painting was “an insult to all police.”   Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-LA, said “We may just have to kick somebody’s ass and stop them.” Rep. Clay said that he would be seeking a meeting with House Speaker Paul Ryan to address the issue.  It is unclear at this point whether House leaders or some other office will step in to try to resolve this divisive issue.

The painting had hung largely unnoticed for about seven months and is part of a student art competition on display along a Capitol Hill corridor.  It is untitled and the artist is David Pulphus. When the subject of the painting became apparent, many groups and individuals expressed outrage and demanded that it be removed.  Rep. Lacy refused to remove the painting.

On Friday afternoon, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-California, took the painting down after stating its depiction of police angered him, and took it to Rep. Lacy’s office.  Rep. Lacy called the removal “blatant censorship” and had the painting rehung this morning along with other members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Rep. Clay has asked Capitol Police to file charges against Rep. Hunter for theft but said he has not heard back from police. Although no formal statement has been issued, Capitol Police are not investigating further Rep. Lacy Clay’s whining about Rep. Duncan Hunter.

What is even more interesting is Rep. Clay’s comment that he is not “anti-police” but merely supporting the First Amendment rights of the artist.  In a later statement, he said that “the artist’s world view has been shaped by the ‘animalistic’ behavior of police officers, particularly the recent, high-profile cases in which unarmed black males died in confrontations with police.”  Apparently he supports the artist’s view in light of his actions and words.

House Republicans had a closed-door meeting to discuss proper channels to have the painting permanently removed, including investigating whether the painting violated the rules of the competition. Tuesday morning, before the painting was rehung, Rep. Hunter said “It doesn’t belong in the U.S. Capitol. It’s that simple. It violates the rules of the art competition. You cannot have offensive things in the competition and this does.”  He said that the rules do not allow paintings with “sensationalistic” subjects or those that depict “contemporary political controversy.”

His chief of staff, Joe Kasper said that the Capitol was not an Art Museum and that “It’s not the right place to have anything that calls attention to police officers as swine”, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.  He also said that Rep. Clay’s attempts to have Rep. Hunter arrested was “a punk move.”

Rep. Gary Loudermilk, R-Georgia, weighed in on the controversy and said today that he wants Congressional officials to replace the painting with a poster of all of the names of police officers who have been shot and killed. The latest statement from Rep. Hunter: “The Capitol Police aren’t going to arrest me for taking down a picture that portrays them as pigs.”   And that he plans to ask the Architect of the Capitol to have the painting removed. ...
Blue Lives Matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

I say: let them keep it there, on display, with a large label underneath announcing that it represents the Democrat Party's official position about members of the law enforcement community.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn