Author Topic: Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech  (Read 10854 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »
"We should not use positions of power to bully poeple," Meryl Streep said, "except when we can use the IRS to bully tea party groups, or when we can use the State authority in Oregon to bankrupt bakers, or when we can use the state supreme court of NM to bully photographers, or when we can get CEO's fired for donating to Prop 8 in California, or when we can jail a guy for making a youtube video, or when we can use the power of the press to attack pizza joints, or whenever we can call a conservative names!"

In other words, she is a hypocrite!  Just like all democrats.

Exactly!  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »
"We should not use positions of power to bully poeple," Meryl Streep said, "except when we can use the IRS to bully tea party groups, or when we can use the State authority in Oregon to bankrupt bakers, or when we can use the state supreme court of NM to bully photographers, or when we can get CEO's fired for donating to Prop 8 in California, or when we can jail a guy for making a youtube video, or when we can use the power of the press to attack pizza joints, or whenever we can call a conservative names!"

Wow!  Good post.  Sadly, she has no idea she is a hypocrite.... they do live in a bubble.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »

...or force Christian bakers to violate the tenets of their faith.

Wingnut

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »
Wow!  Good post.  Sadly, she has no idea she is a hypocrite.... they do live in a bubble.

In there natural habitat of hollyweird they are so cute dressed in their brightly colored clothes.  They really should stick to strutting like teenagers, peacocking and doing the Blue-footed Booby Boogie  trying to attract the same or opposite sex.....rather than opening their mouths. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:46 pm »

She was in an old movie called the Deer Hunter that was good.

Yeah, if you got 4 hours of nothing to do.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:48 pm »

It needed more cowbell.

Wingnut

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »

Amen.  The plot was horrible, the editing was horrible, the cast and acting was meh.   all in and the whole movie just plain sucked.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »
Amen.  The plot was horrible, the editing was horrible, the cast and acting was meh.   all in and the whole movie just plain sucked.

But if you've never witnessed a Russian wedding before, I highly recommend it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2017, 09:23:52 pm »

Quote from: SirLinksALot on January 09, 2017, 10:10:11 pm
RE: Trump Mocked a Disabled person.

You mean like what Meryl Streep did?

Just for the sake of truth, she wasn't mocking a disabled person there, disabilities didn't even come up. Not sure if the left is trolling getting this gif to spread with the wrong title or just natural viral mess. In this, she was talking about being scared of lions.
Actual video (actual point 6:20-6:30):
https://www.facebook.com/MerylStreepismylife/videos/139577239417492/

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:35 pm »

@CSM

Do you have a source for this quote?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:46 am »

I seriously doubt she said that stuff.  Provide a source...if you can. :tongue2:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:52 am »
@CSM

Do you have a source for this quote?
Looks like satire, to point out the hypocrisy of the left. I'm sure it wasn't presented as an actual quote.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »

Quote from: AbaraXas on January 10, 2017, 09:23:52 pm
Just for the sake of truth, she wasn't mocking a disabled person there, disabilities didn't even come up. Not sure if the left is trolling getting this gif to spread with the wrong title or just natural viral mess. In this, she was talking about being scared of lions.
Actual video (actual point 6:20-6:30):
https://www.facebook.com/MerylStreepismylife/videos/139577239417492/

The point in posting the GIF is to show that this is a TYPICAL Trump gesture when he makes fun or mocks his opponents. He has done this a LOT of times.

He is NOT specifically making fun of a person's disability.

See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYFC_7ZIn4

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JqT2atxD8

So, if Meryl Streep can make a similar gesture without being attacked, why attack Trump?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »
The point in posting the GIF is to show that this is a TYPICAL Trump gesture when he makes fun or mocks his opponents. He has done this a LOT of times.

He is NOT specifically making fun of a person's disability.

See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYFC_7ZIn4

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JqT2atxD8

So, if Meryl Streep can make a similar gesture without being attacked, why attack Trump?

Yeah and if you can't believe a guy who claimed Ted Cruz's father killed Kennedy, who can you trust right?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:40 pm »

Yeah and if you can't believe a guy who claimed Ted Cruz's father killed Kennedy, who can you trust right?

:beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

• Technical
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »
:beer:

It's the perfect rebuttal for all this stuff. Trump has zero credibility. None.

• Technical
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2017, 03:33:29 pm »
But if you've never witnessed a Russian wedding before, I highly recommend it.

It was Polish wasn't it? I thought the whole movie took place in a Polish enclave in Pittsburgh? (other than Vietnam parts of course)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:05 pm »

Correct.

And that character flaw hasn't changed just because he is now "President-elect."   No magic is performed on election day to alter the nature of the person who won.

People can hope for change all they want, but what was elected is what we get.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

• Technical
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
Correct.

And that character flaw hasn't changed just because he is now "President-elect."   No magic is performed on election day to alter the nature of the person who won.

My gut tells me that Trump is innocent of this stuff but... what goes around comes around right?

When you make insinuations and tell half truths and outright lies, don't be surprised when this stuff comes around full circle.

Trump can be exonerated, but not because we believe anything Trump says. Another more integral figure will have to do it.

This will dog Trump for the rest of his Presidency.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:45 pm »

That's it, give Trumpsters another opportunity to call him "Lyin' Ted". Their memories are long, but their hands are short...lol.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »

And neither do you, @Weird Tolkienish Figure

Does this mean that you no longer are "on the fence" regarding Trump?    :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online dfwgator

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:37 pm »

It was Polish wasn't it? I thought the whole movie took place in a Polish enclave in Pittsburgh? (other than Vietnam parts of course)

No. It was a Russian Orthodox Wedding.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2017, 04:30:16 pm »
Correct.

When Trump turns out to be one of the better presidents we ever had I'm gonna enjoy watching you both roll in agony. You will both find ways to criticize him even if he does what is right.

@musiclady
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »

I grew up in a steel town..the movie accurately depicted the blue collar steel steel workers and culture really well. I know local people who could have played each of those rolls.

Other than that it sucked.

@Wingnut

Online mountaineer

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2017, 04:34:22 pm »
Much of it was filmed in Weirton, W.Va., though. I believe the wedding scenes were filmed in Cleveland. The film is supposed to take place in the western Pa. area, as I recall, but then there are the inexplicably huge mountains in the hunting scenes that look more like Colorado.  :shrug:

As in so many of her movies, I believe Meryl was completely miscast in Deer Hunter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org