Author Topic: Tech Founder: Middle America Is Too ‘Violent, Stupid And Racist’ For New Jobs  (Read 2775 times)

Oceander

Due to the fact that now these jobs are associated with illegals, nobody wants to do those jobs. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Get rid of the stigma of those jobs being associated with illegals and that will change.

Baloney. Illegals started taking these jobs because no "native" Americans would.  Not the other way around.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of high school kids with a mower cutting the lawns in their neighborhoods for cash?  My best friend and I may some decent cash each summer doing that - with that money and the money from my paper route I bought my first car at the age of 17, and for $800, which was a shitload of money back in the early 80s.  There wasn't any stigma attached to it then, so your premise is false.  The illegals came in because regular Americans wouldn't do it any longer.

Offline mountaineer

Baloney. Illegals started taking these jobs because no "native" Americans would.  Not the other way around.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of high school kids with a mower cutting the lawns in their neighborhoods for cash? 
I believe you still may find such kids in (surprise!) the middle America/flyover country this woman finds so reprehensible.

Granted, children everywhere are less hard-working than in years past, so I doubt anyplace is as it was in the days of our youth.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That time liberals decided they weren’t condescending enough
By: Steve Deace | January 09, 2017
Conservative Review

@mountaineer

She goes on to say that corporations like hers will only want to bring jobs to flyover country if it does things like “elect a progressive city council and commit to not being bigots.” Because there are many progressives, she says, who would enjoy a less urban lifestyle but are deterred by native riff raff who “are still voting for things that are against their own interests just because they don’t want brown people to thrive.”

Sounds like good reasons to pretend you are a bigot,even if you're not,doesn't it?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Baloney. Illegals started taking these jobs because no "native" Americans would.  Not the other way around.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of high school kids with a mower cutting the lawns in their neighborhoods for cash?  My best friend and I may some decent cash each summer doing that - with that money and the money from my paper route I bought my first car at the age of 17, and for $800, which was a shitload of money back in the early 80s.  There wasn't any stigma attached to it then, so your premise is false.  The illegals came in because regular Americans wouldn't do it any longer.

@Oceander   @dfwgator

Back in the 80's I had health issues that for all practical purposes made me a cripple and shut in. About the only time I left the house was to go to the grocery store once a week. I have several acres so cutting my grass isn't such a simple thing,even if you have a riding mower and weed whackers. Long story short,the yard right around my house got up to about 3 feet high once,with a short path cut from where I parked my truck to the front door so I could walk without stepping on a snake. I couldn't cut it myself so I contacted a local friend that was a Boy Scout Troop leader,and asked  him to see if any of his Boy Scouts would be willing to cut it for me for 10 bucks a  hour in cash,with me providing the mowers,weedwhackers,and even the gas.

Not a single one of them was interested. Not even with me offering to go to their houses to pick them up and bring them here,and then take them home. My friend told me the most common answer was "No. My mom cuts our grass."

I eventually got it cut by hiring a local adult with a part-time job at a gas station to cut it for me. He said he didn't know how much to charge because he didn't do this for a living,but it would be "reasonable". When he was done,he charged me 30 bucks a hour,and that's using my equipment and burning my gas.

The good news (apart from me mostly recovering) from this story was it taught me who my friends really were,and I don't do squat for ANY of those people now,and I used to fix a lot of cars and guns for free, only charging for parts.

Offline CSM

From the article:

So all we have to do to keep progressive bigots like Byerley out of our towns and states is to continue to observe traditional American values?  Who know it would be that easy?  Works for me!

I have no idea who this person is that you are referencing, but my question for her is this:  If you leftists have created such a Utopia, why would you consider moving to an area filled with people you hate?  I don't understand.

Offline skeeter

He hired Hispanics because the native Americans did not want to do the job..has nothing to  do with illegals. Americans for the last few generations look down upon people who work with their hands.

@dfwgator

The funny thing is children of illegals don't want the work, either.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@skeeter  @mirraflake

That's mostly the fault of our politicians,who tell them "If you vote for me,you won't have to work because I'll make sure all your living expenses are paid for by the fools that work and pay taxes."

Offline dfwgator

Eventually that attitude leads to a "Day of Reckoning."

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
First off, there are countless people in my community, all WASP American citizens, who do this work regularly and proudly. They don't have a college education (they're not fit for it), so that's the life they face. I think the reason they do is because there is a sense of pride and unwillingness to collect welfare unless they absolutely have to, and even then they try to keep working.

Second, riding lawnmowers have made the art of mowing the lawn easier, so people don't need to hire some teenage punk they don't trust. Automation, once again, is to blame. Another example: with the Internet cutting into newspaper sales, the hometown paperboy (and I, too, briefly served as a substitute paperboy as a kid) gave way to longer routes that require a car beforehand.

Third, if there were a realistic promise that that low-end work would lead to a better opportunity, such as a career in their field, you'd see a lot more college-educated folk paying their dues that way. The problem is, there isn't. Those jobs are dead-end jobs. They may provide some general work ethic skills, but as far as career advancement, they're worthless. This screed is a perfect example: no California tech company wants to hire Joe the Groundskeeper.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

First off, there are countless people in my community, all WASP American citizens, who do this work regularly and proudly. They don't have a college education (they're not fit for it), so that's the life they face. I think the reason they do is because there is a sense of pride and unwillingness to collect welfare unless they absolutely have to, and even then they try to keep working.

Second, riding lawnmowers have made the art of mowing the lawn easier, so people don't need to hire some teenage punk they don't trust. Automation, once again, is to blame. Another example: with the Internet cutting into newspaper sales, the hometown paperboy (and I, too, briefly served as a substitute paperboy as a kid) gave way to longer routes that require a car beforehand.

Third, if there were a realistic promise that that low-end work would lead to a better opportunity, such as a career in their field, you'd see a lot more college-educated folk paying their dues that way. The problem is, there isn't. Those jobs are dead-end jobs. They may provide some general work ethic skills, but as far as career advancement, they're worthless. This screed is a perfect example: no California tech company wants to hire Joe the Groundskeeper.

My next door neighbor employs a gardener who's as white as I am. My other neighbor on the other side uses a white lady house cleaner.

And this is in the SF bay area.

That tells me that customers are now willing to pay enough to attract a wider slice of the labor pool.

Oceander

I believe you still may find such kids in (surprise!) the middle America/flyover country this woman finds so reprehensible.

Granted, children everywhere are less hard-working than in years past, so I doubt anyplace is as it was in the days of our youth.

Fair enough.  We lived in the suburbs around D.C.   That made it easier for us because most of the houses were townhouses with little postage stamp front yards. 

I got my first speeding ticket - actually a reckless driving ticket - while doing my newspaper routes. I had two and they were separated by about two miles.  Usually i delivered the Sunday inserts on Saturday afternoon so that all I had to do Sunday morning was the headsheets.  But that weekend I didn't do the inserts on Saturday because we had something to do that day. So there I was Sunday morning trying to make it the papers together, stick them in the car and deliver them.  Of course, being so heavy I couldn't just fling them out the window because the bag'd break and scatter the paper all over. So, I finished the first route, pulled out on to the four lane, 40 mph road that separated them, and floored it.  The cop pulled me over and said he got me at 62, which was reckless driving, not speeding; damned fool wouldn't cut me a break even though I was totally honest with him.  I had to waste a weekend doing drivers ed on that one to keep my Mom's insurance from going through the roof (this was before I bought my own car).

Oceander

I learned plenty enough from mowing lawns and delivering newspapers, including the pleasure of having your own money to spend -  no handouts from mommy and daddy - and the benefits of hard work: earning enough to buy my own car, at a price that would equal about $1,800 today.  These things stood me in good stead even though I never made a career out of mowing lawns.  And those are things that helped me the rest of my life. 

Stop moaning and whining.

Offline mirraflake

Not the other way around.  When was the last time you saw a bunch of high school kids with a mower cutting the lawns in their neighborhoods for cash?

You don't because young kids refuse to cut grass that is why the hundreds of professional lawn care service companies popped up over  the last 20 years in every local. Same reason companies are forced to hire Hispanics. The native Americans think it is beneath their dignity to do these types of jobs.

Do you really think Grandma wants to pay the lawn care service $50-75 each week when she remember not that long ago the neighborhood boy would do it for $10?

Riding lawn tractors have nothing to so with it @jmyrlefuller  My neighbor has 7 acres with 2 sons- late teens. They would never cut the grass so the dad hires  a lawn car service

@Oceander
@jmyrlefuller
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:17:01 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wow, things are really different in rural Texas.  Kids work up to and including mowing lawns. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

My neighbor has 7 acres with 2 sons- late teens. They would never cut the grass so the dad hires  a lawn car service

@Oceander
@jmyrlefuller

@mirraflake

We all know whose fault that is,it's Dads fault for not ordering them to cut it. Chances are that's because the little whiners whine to mom who then screams at dad for being mean to her babies,but the truth is it is still dads fault for not standing up to all of them.

Back when I was a kid,everytime I cut our lawn I would push the mower maybe 50 yards up the road and cut the lawn for the window in her 80's that lived alone up there. My mother told me to do it once,and it never occurred to me to not do it every time after that. Didn't even charge her gas money,because that was the sort of neighborly thing expected of people back then. Then again,there wasn't one single time she didn't invite me in the house for a home-cooked lunch and about a gallon of home-brewed sweet tea when I was done. That woman surely loved to cook,and I think she may have enjoyed having someone to cook for as much as I did eating it.

I think America started losing something special when that sort of thing went out of fashion and it became more about "Me,ME,ME,DAMMIT!" than being neighbors. After all,I was just a 13-14 year old kid. What else did I have to do with my "valuable" time?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:24:11 pm by sneakypete »

Offline GrouchoTex

I saw this on twitter last night, and I cracked up.

I mean, think about it.

The person saying they could not live among us because we are racist hayseeds, is in fact, being a bigoted racist by pointing out all the stereotypes associated with being us, fellow Americans, no less.

2 quick stories:

(1)I recently transplanted from California lady at my local Pack-n-sack store was going on about gun control, asking the clerk, who didn't speak English enough to care, talking about how Sandy Hook would have never happened in California. (This was pre-San Bernardino).
Looking for affirmation, she asked what I thought, and I said "Ma'am, I am a Texan, and I strongly defend the 2nd amendment. Of course, she called me a "redneck" and stormed out. The store clerk, it turns out, spoke better English than he let on, and we both had a good laugh at that.

(2)For all the redneckedness (is this a word? Maybe, rednekkidness is better?), my little company has 5 employees here in Texas.
Me, a Colombian, an Englishman, a Croatian, and a Vietnamese man.
(Sounds like a joke is fixin' to break out, doesn't it?).
We contract an African-American programmer, that we will probably take on full time, if we can pay him more than his own private business earns him, eventually.
So, we are just too stupid to know that we are supposed to be racist, I guess.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
He hired Hispanics because the native Americans did not want to do the job..has nothing to  do with illegals. Americans for the last few generations look down upon people who work with their hands.

@dfwgator
Some look down, but others do not look down. I do not look down. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Some look down, but others do not look down. I do not look down.

@truth_seeker, are you a Gilmore Girl?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:05:39 pm by Sanguine »

HonestJohn

It looks like this "CEO" has two people working for her.

Just another leftist blowhard who thinks her opinion matters to anyone but herself.

And it only made the press when the Daily Caller wrote about it.

Had the Daily Caller not penned this article, the only people who'd have given two s@#ts about it would have been her Twitter followers (which, I expect, is quite small).

But now a good number of people are up in arms over it.

(That's how propaganda works.)

Wingnut

And it only made the press when the Daily Caller wrote about it.

But now a good number of people are up in arms over it.

(That's how propaganda works.)

News Pablum...  masquerades as having substance then spoon-fed to even quite young babies and the uneducated..

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
(1)I recently transplanted from California lady at my local Pack-n-sack store was going on about gun control, asking the clerk, who didn't speak English enough to care, talking about how Sandy Hook would have never happened in California. (This was pre-San Bernardino).
Looking for affirmation, she asked what I thought, and I said "Ma'am, I am a Texan, and I strongly defend the 2nd amendment. Of course, she called me a "redneck" and stormed out. The store clerk, it turns out, spoke better English than he let on, and we both had a good laugh at that.

If you see her (or any leftist) again and she calls you a redneck (and means the term pejoratively), tell her, "Ma'am, down here we don't say 'redneck.' We prefer the term 'the majority.'"
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you see her (or any leftist) again and she calls you a redneck (and means the term pejoratively), tell her, "Ma'am, down here we don't say 'redneck.' We prefer the term 'the majority.'"

I like it!