Author Topic: US Senator John McCain proving to be thorn in Trump's side even before he assumes office  (Read 1689 times)

Offline corbe

US Senator John McCain proving to be thorn in Trump's side even before he assumes office

Published Jan 7, 2017, 2:02 pm SGT

WASHINGTON (AFP) - At 80, Mr John McCain has begun his sixth term in the US Senate by proving to be a thorn in Mr Donald Trump's side even before the president-elect takes the oath of office.

The maverick lawmaker is a long-time national security hawk and he has positioned himself as less an adversary of Mr Trump, 70, than an enemy of President Vladimir Putin.

But that posture has put him at odds with the incoming administration and Mr Trump's coziness with the Kremlin, as Mr McCain blasts Mr Putin as "a thug and a murderer" and calls for stricter sanctions on Moscow.

Mr Trump, who takes power on Jan 20, has repeatedly cast doubt on Russia's role in cyber attacks against the United States, which intelligence chiefs say was conducted in order to help Mr Trump win the election.

Mr McCain by contrast minces no words, calling Russia's alleged hacking "an act of war".

During the bitter 2016 presidential race, Mr McCain was criticised by some Republican voters for refusing to formally support the Republican nominee.

In Washington, he offers a national security reality check to Mr Trump, who is often accused of being in denial about Russia.

On Thursday (Jan 5), Mr McCain presided over a closely watched Armed Services Committee hearing in which senators grilled intelligence chiefs about Russia's role in hacking the Democratic National Committee.

Several of Mr McCain's staunch political adversaries in Congress now look to him as a bulwark against Mr Trump's perceived naivete about Russia.

"John's in a strong position," number two Senate Democrat Dick Durbin said. "Many of the statements that have been made during the course of the transition do not reflect the reality of America's national security, and I think John has brought that point home when it comes to our relations with Russia and the value of our intelligence agencies."

Republican Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman Bob Corker hailed him as "an important voice".

The political novice and the warrior-senator are polar opposites.

Mr Trump, a billionaire businessman, never served in the military, and has struck a condescending tone when discussing America's generals or Gold Star families.

Mr McCain is a US Navy veteran, a pilot who was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967, beaten by an angry mob and bayoneted.

He spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war, and his treatment was so brutal he still can not raise his arms high enough to comb his hair.

And yet Mr Trump belittled Mr McCain's experience when he was asked in 2015 whether he considered him a hero.

"I like people who were not captured," Mr Trump said.

The disdain appears to be mutual. Mr McCain bristles when asked about the incoming president.

<..snip..>

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-senator-john-mccain-proving-to-be-thorn-in-trumps-side-even-before-he-assumes

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

McCain is going all Maverick (democrap) on us, again

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

Poor john.  He's the Harry Reid of AZ.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
McCain is going all Maverick (democrap) on us, again

I can't stand McCain but Trump should never have minimized his heroic service.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

@Emjay
 :beer:

Trump is the first Republican president since Herbert Hoover to not have served in the US Military.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I can't stand McCain but Trump should never have minimized his heroic service.

What heroic service?  GRRRRRR!!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

@Emjay

Trump is the first Republican president since Herbert Hoover to not have served in the US Military.

In all fairness to Trump ...He fought his own private 'nam back here trying to avoid contracting STDs.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:40:04 am by Wingnut »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Here's the truth about John Sidney McCain.  You can like it or not it is still the truth.

There are exactly two reasons he even managed to graduate from Annapolis.

The exact same reasons are the only way he ever found his way into the pilot seat of an F4 ov e r Hanoi.

Those reasons are his Admiral  father and grandfather. 

And lastly, within half an hour of his being pulled out of that l as ke in North Vietnam his captors knew exactly who he was because HE t old them.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

@Emjay

But...but...  Trump told biographer Michael D’Antonio of his time at the New York Military Academy, a private prep school he attended during his teens. Trump said he received more military training in prep school than most actual soldiers did, and he had been required to live under the command of men who had gone on to careers as real officers and soldiers.

“I felt like I was in the military in a true sense,” Trump said. “Because I dealt with the people.”

....and there you have it folks ...

I so am hoping and praying that he actually listens to his military advisers!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

In all fairness to Trump ...He fought his own private 'nam back here trying to avoid contracting STDs.

Yes in all fairness

These were a lot heavier to wear and offered less protection in country

Than These

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Here's the truth about John Sidney McCain.  You can like it or not it is still the truth.

There are exactly two reasons he even managed to graduate from Annapolis.

The exact same reasons are the only way he ever found his way into the pilot seat of an F4 ov e r Hanoi.

Those reasons are his Admiral  father and grandfather. 

And lastly, within half an hour of his being pulled out of that l as ke in North Vietnam his captors knew exactly who he was because HE t old them.

Another brave keyboard warrior disparages a man who served his country, honorably. Just like Trump.

You should be proud.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Another brave keyboard warrior disparages a man who served his country, honorably. Just like Trump.

You should be proud.

Like I  said. You can like it or not it is still the truth. And BTW; I have done more for my country in uniform and out than you can imagine you frigin jerk!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:53:24 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I have done more for my country in uniform and out than you can imagine you frigin jerk!

Jerk? You're the one slandering a guy who spent years in a POW camp.

I have my difference too, but your post was out of line.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Jerk? You're the one slandering a guy who spent years in a POW camp.

I have my difference too, but your post was out of line.

The truth is NEVER slander!  Not ever!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I apologize for calling you a jerk. My temper got the better of me for a moment.

I should have just said that you are entitled to you opinion and that I stand by every single word I wrote.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
What heroic service?  GRRRRRR!!!!

Everybody hates somebody.  No matter what pull McCain used, he still served and endured horrific abuse in captivity.

For that little fop Trump to dismiss that was wrong.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You're required to give name, rank, and service number.  As soon as McCain gave that, they knew who he was.  Dude came out of the camps a physical wreck, never made a propaganda video, etc..

The man served honorably regardless of good a pilot he was.

That being said, a President has more authority in foreign affairs than anywhere else.  There truly isn't much McCain can/will do about Trump and Putin.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:53:30 am by Maj. Bill Martin »