Author Topic: Rivalry brewing on Trump team  (Read 923 times)

Offline corbe

Rivalry brewing on Trump team
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:22 am »
Rivalry brewing on Trump team

By Kristina Wong - 01/07/17 04:00 PM EST

Donald Trump's nomination of James Mattis as Defense secretary is sparking questions about how well the retired Marine general will get along with Mike Flynn, the three-star general set to be national security adviser.

Trump has a history of setting up rivalries among his advisers, and it appears he’s likely to have a big one on his national security team.

Flynn reportedly sought to block Mattis's nomination because he did not want a general with higher ranking than him in the Cabinet.

And according to The Washington Post, a power struggle has already begun between the Trump transition team and Mattis over who should serve in top slots at the Pentagon.

The potential rivalry is almost certain to be raised at Mattis's confirmation hearings next week, especially since it gives Democrats an opportunity to express their misgivings about Flynn’s role in the White House.

Experts say that while Mattis and Flynn have things in common, there will inevitably be points of friction.

Both men are skeptical of Iran and worried about the danger posed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, said Retired Army Lt. Gen. Dave Barno, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. But the similarities may end there.

"Flynn by all indications believes that Islamic extremism is an existential threat to the future of the United States. I don't think Mattis views it that way at all," Barno said.

And whereas Flynn has criticized NATO allies for not “[paying] their bills,” Mattis sees alliances as one of the U.S.’s greatest strategic assets.

But perhaps the biggest point of debate between Flynn and Mattis will be President-elect Donald Trump's willingness to work more closely with Russia. 

Mattis will head a department whose top military leaders — including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford — have named Russia as the No. 1 threat to the U.S.

Mattis himself said May 2015 at The Heritage Foundation, “in the near term, I think the most dangerous might be Russia.”

Flynn, on the other hand, "doesn't seem to have interest in that," Barno said. 

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/313138-rivalry-brewing-on-trump-team

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Rivalry brewing on Trump team
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:12 am »
  Usually when Generals argue, Grunts die.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:29:57 am »
Why would Trump want rivalry within his team?  National security is crucial and of the utmost importance, it would seem to me that this kind of rivalry could fester into a situation that is counter productive. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:54 am »
Why would Trump want rivalry within his team?  National security is crucial and of the utmost importance, it would seem to me that this kind of rivalry could fester into a situation that is counter productive.

Just spitballing here but I'm guessing this rivalry exists in the hopes and dreams of the reporter. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:55 am »
Setting up rivalries was a Stalin tactic. After he died men around him said it was the only reason he remained in power. He set up rivalries so everybody would be suspicious of everybody else and no one trusted anyone enough to effectively plot against him.

The race to Berlin between Marshals Zhukov and Konev is a good example.

When Hitler invaded Poland, ranking officers found Stalin literally hiding under his desk because he was sure he was going to be assassinated.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
   I think you're worrying unnecessarily @libertybele , Trumps got us covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Mjy9ETtRY

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:53:59 am »

He reminds me of Zapp Brannigan.

Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it. On my command all ships will line up and file directly into the alien death cannons, clogging them with wreckage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85t3aLQzTsI

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 12:55:53 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Mjy9ETtRY

Ya, that's what I'm afraid of!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.