Author Topic: Trump hotel’s alleged unpaid bills top $5M: report  (Read 2377 times)

Offline corbe

Trump hotel’s alleged unpaid bills top $5M: report
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
Trump hotel’s alleged unpaid bills top $5M: report

By Mark Hensch - 01/06/17 01:10 PM EST

Trump’s hotel in Washington, D.C., allegedly owes over $5 million in unpaid bills, according to a new report.

A third lien was recently filed against the Trump International Hotel, The Washington Post reported Friday, claiming about $2.1 million in unpaid fees after two earlier filings claimed over $3 million combined.

AES Electrical, a company based in Laurel, Md., filed a Dec. 22 mechanic’s lien with the D.C. government when the Trump Organization and its construction manager, Lendlease, stopped paying it.

<..snip..>

Reports emerged Thursday two other liens have been filed against the Trump International Hotel following its completion.

A&D Construction Inc., a Virginia-based company that installed crown molding and wall base in the hotel, filed a lien on Nov. 9 claiming Trump owed $79,900.

Joseph J. Magnolia, Inc., a plumbing company, meanwhile, filed a claim in late December it is owed $2.98 million for more than two years of work.

The Trump Organization did not address the specifics of all three cases when responding to inquiries from the Post.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/313045-trump-hotels-alleged-unpaid-bills-top-5m-report
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump hotel’s alleged unpaid bills top $5M: report
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:22:38 pm »
The Art of the Deal

Make them sue for payment and settle for less.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:26:20 pm »
The art of the scam more likely.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:34:46 am »

What can you say about someone like that?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:31:20 am »
Nothing to see here, move along folks... :whistle:

Where have we heard of similar contractor schlonging?  :thud:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
So typical, yet there are still suckered out there who would trust this cretin.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:42:07 pm »
So typical, yet there are still suckered out there who would trust this cretin.

No....what's "typical" are our own "cretins' on the forum who react before they find out the reasons.

The first thing you do when you get an invoice....was the job and/or quality of the finished product satisfactory?

If not....you withhold payment until they remedy it.

Don't forget....unless he hires companies who vet their workmen's political ideology...in this climate sabotage isn't a foreign concept.

After all....there are at least a few here that I wouldn't let NEAR a Trump related job.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:43:35 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »
No....what's "typical" are our own "cretins' on the forum who react before they find out the reasons.

Nope. Unpaid bills are, indeed, typical of Trump.  Fact, regardens of reason.

He has a history of welching.
He has claimed workmanship was sub-part and then invited those same contractors onto later jobs without ever "fixing" the "poor" wprk.

He's a slime.  Ask -- behind closed doors -- those who've had business dealings with him. He's gutter sleaze.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:36:42 pm »

I say:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:34 pm »

Here is what this "cretin" learned from reading the article:

“We had people there well over 12 hours a day for weeks because [the hotel] had a hard opening of Sept. 12 and you can’t open if the lights don’t work and the fire alarms don’t work and the fire marshal can’t expect it,” said Tim Miller, AES’s executive vice president. "There is a lot of work that went into that hotel, and it didn’t happen by accident.”

AES claims it assigned 45 members of its staff to work 12-hour shifts for nearly 50 consecutive days to finish the electrical, fire and lighting systems at Trump’s hotel on time.

Miller said the company has a $17 million contract with Trump but is missing $2 million after the frantic schedule.

Was the work completed so that the hotel could open on time?  Yes.

The first thing you do when you get an invoice....was the job and/or quality of the finished product satisfactory?

But we're not talking about a single invoice here.  We are talking about two years worth of invoices.  Again from the article:

Joseph J. Magnolia, Inc., a plumbing company, meanwhile, filed a claim in late December it is owed $2.98 million for more than two years of work.

Two years of work?  Do you really believe Trump International Hotel would allow this company to continue working for TWO YEARS if the quality was substandard?

If this were a one-time thing, then it could be written off as a simple business dispute.  But Trump companies have developed a longtime history of this type of behavior.  They would rather pay lawyers to shave costs in court than pay contractors on time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Longiron

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
Nope. Unpaid bills are, indeed, typical of Trump.  Fact, regardens of reason.

He has a history of welching.
He has claimed workmanship was sub-part and then invited those same contractors onto later jobs without ever "fixing" the "poor" wprk.

He's a slime.  Ask -- behind closed doors -- those who've had business dealings with him. He's gutter sleaze.

And you are in the inner circle and are behind the closed doors to get this BS info. NOT! Sleaze is implying you know what you really do not know!!!! 22222frying pan

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 05:29:07 pm »

And you are in the inner circle and are behind the closed doors to get this BS info. NOT! Sleaze is implying you know what you really do not know!!!! 22222frying pan

Just because you don't know anyone personally who's dealt with Trump doesn't mean nobody has.

I grew up in NY, and have classmates and friends.

You probably think nobody died in the Twin Towers because you didn't know anyone there, eh?
+++++++++

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:26 pm »

On the one hand, he rarely pays his bills.  On the other, maybe he won't repay Putin for throwing the election.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 11:40:44 pm »

Don't forget....unless he hires companies who vet their workmen's political ideology...in this climate sabotage isn't a foreign concept.

After all....there are at least a few here that I wouldn't let NEAR a Trump related job.
:silly:
I like getting paid for my work. I wouldn't go near one anyway.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44:04 pm »

“We had people there well over 12 hours a day for weeks because [the hotel] had a hard opening of Sept. 12 and you can’t open if the lights don’t work and the fire alarms don’t work and the fire marshal can’t expect it,” said Tim Miller, AES’s executive vice president. "There is a lot of work that went into that hotel, and it didn’t happen by accident.”

AES claims it assigned 45 members of its staff to work 12-hour shifts for nearly 50 consecutive days to finish the electrical, fire and lighting systems at Trump’s hotel on time.

Miller said the company has a $17 million contract with Trump but is missing $2 million after the frantic schedule.

Was the work completed so that the hotel could open on time?  Yes.

But we're not talking about a single invoice here.  We are talking about two years worth of invoices.  Again from the article:

Two years of work?  Do you really believe Trump International Hotel would allow this company to continue working for TWO YEARS if the quality was substandard?

If this were a one-time thing, then it could be written off as a simple business dispute.  But Trump companies have developed a longtime history of this type of behavior.  They would rather pay lawyers to shave costs in court than pay contractors on time.
Every job site I have been on, the plumbing and electrical are inspected before the walls are finished. Those inspections have to occur before the drywall guys/plasterers close it up. If the work passes inspection--especially electrical work--it isn't "substandard"--it's up to code.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »

snip.....

From "The Hill"?    That's knee-slapping LOL, @Hoodat

Right there, you're going to only get a leftward slant/dive.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:12:58 am »
From "The Hill"?    That's knee-slapping LOL, @Hoodat

Right there, you're going to only get a leftward slant/dive.

So you are thinking that there really aren't liens filed, etc.?  That The Hill risks being caught at such simple facts as that a Trump company isn't paying its bills, as is typical for his business operations?
+++++++++

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 12:19:51 am »
So you are thinking that there really aren't liens filed, etc.?  That The Hill risks being caught at such simple facts as that a Trump company isn't paying its bills, as is typical for his business operations?

Where in the world did I suggest that?

My point is the article is written by a Leftist blog.

I've explained why there may be liens filed.   It happens on probably the majority of development projects and are not exclusive to Trump.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 01:04:31 am »
@DCPatriot

What I don't see in this or any of the previous reports of nonpayment for work performed is whether or not any effort was made to resolve whatever issues Trump had.  Did he pick up the phone and talk to the contractors to determine whether there was anything that could be done to remedy the problems? 

In my neck of the woods,  reputable parties would try to work out any problems themselves.  If the disputes can't be resolved, they go to arbitration or mediation. However things are done in New York or DC, you don't just simply welch on paying your bills.  You work out your differences.

Similar incidents were brought up during the campaign, but I was told by Trump supporters that they're no big deal and had no bearing on Trump's fitness for office.   I disagree.  Stiffing someone shows a lack of integrity. I don't know about you or any other Trump supporters, but after 8 years of Obama -- the epitome of low class and no integrity -- I would think people would want a president who has class and at least gives the appearance of honesty and integrity.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 01:09:49 am »
@DCPatriot

What I don't see in this or any of the previous reports of nonpayment for work performed is whether or not any effort was made to resolve whatever issues Trump had.  Did he pick up the phone and talk to the contractors to determine whether there was anything that could be done to remedy the problems? 

In my neck of the woods,  reputable parties would try to work out any problems themselves.  If the disputes can't be resolved, they go to arbitration or mediation. However things are done in New York or DC, you don't just simply welch on paying your bills.  You work out your differences.

Similar incidents were brought up during the campaign, but I was told by Trump supporters that they're no big deal and had no bearing on Trump's fitness for office.   I disagree.  Stiffing someone shows a lack of integrity. I don't know about you or any other Trump supporters, but after 8 years of Obama -- the epitome of low class and no integrity -- I would think people would want a president who has class and at least gives the appearance of honesty and integrity.

Sounds like you're weary of all this WINNING!!!  That's what it's all about, nothing else.   :thud:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 01:12:37 am »
@DCPatriot

I understand what you mean, @Applewood

But consider....if Trump had a decades-long reputation of stiffing his contractors...by tying up funds for years while lawyers send letters and suits are filed..only to 'settle' for pennies on the dollar for amounts unpaid...or if it went against him, subject to treble damages, etc., I would think he'd have a very difficult time functioning as a developer.

I'd just like to give the man the benefit of any doubt until it's proven otherwise.  That's all.   :shrug:

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 01:30:27 am »
Sounds like you're weary of all this WINNING!!!  That's what it's all about, nothing else.   :thud:

I think that's true.  Trump's core supporters don't care whether he acts with dignity or honesty or what kind of collateral damage he does, they just want to feel like they have won, at any cost.  Any event, regardless of circumstances, context, facts, or long-term consequences, must be spun as a victory for Trump.  If he is cut he doesn't bleed; His infallibility cannot be questioned.

The Democrats are so power hungry that they will destroy the country if they think that's the only way they can rule it; like Milton's Satan they think it better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.  Many Republicans are now so bent on getting a win that they'll destroy the country if necessary in order to feel that they've defeated the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself).

Although I relish the meltdown of the "progressives", applaud Trump cutting out the media and going direct to the people, and fervently hope that Democrats are soon hunted down with dogs, the Trump camp's "destroy the village in order to save it" approach is the reason I can no longer identify myself as a Republican.
James 1:20

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 01:33:34 am »
I'd just like to give the man the benefit of any doubt until it's proven otherwise.  That's all.   :shrug:

I believe you went far beyond that.  Giving benefit does not involve derogatory terms for posters, attacking sources, or inventing excuses for why Trump did what he did without even knowing what the charges were.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 02:08:29 am »
The Art of the Deal

Make them sue for payment and settle for less.

Word of advice:  Don't do anything for Trump without payment up front.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.