Author Topic: The Good and Bad Of The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act  (Read 10321 times)

Offline thackney

The Good and Bad Of The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
« on: January 05, 2017, 03:43:20 pm »
The Good and Bad Of The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/04/the-good-and-bad-of-the-concealed-carry-reciprocity-act/

North Carolina Rep. Richard Hudson introduced a bill yesterday that would make a concealed carry permit issued in any state valid in every state.
epublican Rep. Richard Hudson (N.C.) on Tuesday introduced a bill that would require states to recognize each other’s gun carry permits.

The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 would address the patchwork nature of the country’s gun carry laws. Currently, each state decides which other states’ gun carry permits it will recognize. Some states recognize all other states’ permits, other states recognize no other states’ permits, and many fall somewhere in between. Gun rights advocates have long decried the web of local laws as confusing and unfair–one in which a wrong turn or missed exit could end in an otherwise law abiding gun owner unintentionally committing a felony.

“Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and this legislation guarantees that,” Hudson said in a statement. “The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 is a common sense solution to a problem too many Americans face. It will provide law-abiding citizens the right to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits.”

Sources within the major gun rights organizations have consistently said that a national reciprocity law is among their top priorities, along with a pro-gun Supreme Court pick and reform, for the upcoming congress. Now, after announcing the bill had been drawn up before the new year, Hudson has introduced his take on the proposal.

think that the odds of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 (PDF) passing both houses of Congress with minimal changes/amendments and being signed into law by President Trump by this summer are fairly high.

And yet, I’m of very mixed feelings about it.

While I’d be thrilled that I’d no longer be disarmed and treated like a second class citizen when I visit my friends in the Northeast (other than needing to acquire some “NY legal” downloaded magazines, and another few boxes of Federal Guard Dog 9mm to get around New Jersey’s ignorant ban on hollowpoint ammunition), I frankly am opposed to federal gun laws.

All of them.

I don’t want more federal gun laws, but instead want the federal gun laws that exist (the National Firearms Act of 1934, Gun Control Act of 1968, etc) repealed or declared unconstitutional.

Why?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline kidd

Re: The Good and Bad Of The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 03:52:56 pm »

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Any man too dangerous to own a gun is a man who shouldn't be walking free in the first place.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »
Conservatives clamor for the states to be restored to their historic roles defining marriage and regulating abortion.   So why the clamor here for a federal rule that will allow state law restrictions on the concealed carrying of firearms in public to be swept away?   Shouldn't each state be allowed to make its own decisions about a matter so consequential to the safety of its citizenry?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:24:08 pm »
Conservatives clamor for the states to be restored to their historic roles defining marriage and regulating abortion.   So why the clamor here for a federal rule that will allow state law restrictions on the concealed carrying of firearms in public to be swept away?

Careful with that broad brush...

Shouldn't each state be allowed to make its own decisions about a matter so consequential to the safety of its citizenry?

Absolutely.  The author (and I) does not want this law, even though it may personally benefit him today.  The federal position should only be defense of the constitution on this issue.  The only legal action I desire on this topic for federal legislation is the removal of federal laws that conflict with the 2nd Amendment.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Careful with that broad brush...

Absolutely.  The author (and I) does not want this law, even though it may personally benefit him today.  The federal position should only be defense of the constitution on this issue.  The only legal action I desire on this topic for federal legislation is the removal of federal laws that conflict with the 2nd Amendment.

Our state constitution is pretty unambiguous on the issue.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 05:39:43 pm »

... and another few boxes of Federal Guard Dog 9mm to get around New Jersey’s ignorant ban on hollowpoint ammunition) ...

Out of curiosity, if a person carrying a weapon with a CCDW were to be pulled over for speeding can the officer check to see what kind of ammunition is contained within the speeder's weapon?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:40:47 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
@thackney

Do you think that states should have the complete freedom to pass whatever gun laws they want?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 06:01:39 pm »
Out of curiosity, if a person carrying a weapon with a CCDW were to be pulled over for speeding can the officer check to see what kind of ammunition is contained within the speeder's weapon?

No he cannot. But if you were forced to shoot someone in New Jersey with a weapon loaded with hollow points it would become an issue real fast!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:04 pm »
@thackney

Do you think that states should have the complete freedom to pass whatever gun laws they want?

As long as they do not conflict with the U.S. Constitution the answer is yes!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »
Conservatives clamor for the states to be restored to their historic roles defining marriage and regulating abortion.   So why the clamor here for a federal rule that will allow state law restrictions on the concealed carrying of firearms in public to be swept away?   Shouldn't each state be allowed to make its own decisions about a matter so consequential to the safety of its citizenry?

The citizenry of the United States' Constitutional rights regarding firearms are not defined by 'penumbras' and 'emanations'. They are spelled out in black and white.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:05:01 pm by skeeter »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 06:10:53 pm »
The citizenry of the United States' Constitutional rights regarding firearms are not defined by 'penumbras' and 'emanations'. They are spelled out in black and white.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 06:25:15 pm »
No he cannot. But if you were forced to shoot someone in New Jersey with a weapon loaded with hollow points it would become an issue real fast!

No doubt.   Thanks for the info.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 06:28:01 pm »

The 2nd Amendment is meant to apply to all states, equally.  Since the right to keep and bear arms is explicitly declared in the Constitution, the 10th amendment doesn't apply here.  So, no, the states don't get to write their own laws in violation of the Constitution.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 06:29:01 pm »
@thackney

No.  Personally I see that the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right, making it applicable to the States.  McDonald vs. City of Chicago (2010) seems to confirm this.

I accept the reality of the current world that every state is no where near a position to accept that as law.  In that I'm blessed to have chosen Texas as my home, but wish we could gain the wisdom of Alaska and others in true Constitutional Carry.

But I see a federal government that can force New York to accept Texas Conceal Carry rules no different than forcing Texas to accept New York's.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 06:35:38 pm »
There are in the neighborhood of 513,000 elected officials in the United States of which 537 are federal office holders (less than 1/10th of 1% of the total). My question is why do we need the the other 512,463 if those folks in Washington D.C. are going to insist on running every facet of our lives?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »

In that I'm blessed to have chosen Texas as my home, but wish we could gain the wisdom of Alaska and others in true Constitutional Carry.

But I see a federal government that can force New York to accept Texas Conceal Carry rules no different than forcing Texas to accept New York's.

How would National Reciprocity where my KY CCDW is valid in every state mesh with Constitutional Carry where I don't need a CCDW in my state?  Does that imply I can travel to any other state also without a permit?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
The 2nd Amendment is meant to apply to all states, equally.  Since the right to keep and bear arms is explicitly declared in the Constitution, the 10th amendment doesn't apply here.  So, no, the states don't get to write their own laws in violation of the Constitution.

I'm not suggesting that a state be able to violate the Constitution.  But that's not the issue here.  Local laws regarding concealed carry in public are, whether wise or not, perfectly Constitutional.   ("Time, place and manner" restrictions and all that.)   But there's no conservative principle that requires the federal government to force a state to conform to another state's laws on a matter of its own citizens' safety.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:09 pm »
How would National Reciprocity where my KY CCDW is valid in every state mesh with Constitutional Carry where I don't need a CCDW in my state?  Does that imply I can travel to any other state also without a permit?

I am confident a national reciprocity law would force states to eliminate constitutional carry, which is why I will never support a Federal law.  I live in AZ, BTW.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 07:00:13 pm »
I'm not suggesting that a state be able to violate the Constitution.  But that's not the issue here.  Local laws regarding concealed carry in public are, whether wise or not, perfectly Constitutional.   ("Time, place and manner" restrictions and all that.)   But there's no conservative principle that requires the federal government to force a state to conform to another state's laws on a matter of its own citizens' safety.   

The only way a Federal reciprocity law could be made to work would be if the Federal government established uniform requirements for CCW, and I see absolutely nothing good in having Schumer and McConnell writing them.  As I said in the post above, this is one more reason I won't support Federal reciprocity.  The Feds need to keep their grubs off of it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »
The Constitution says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."  Any state that creates a restriction for the law abiding citizens' right is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.  The problem here is as @thackney pointed out, we have had to create a new law confirming what the Constitution already says.  The Constitution implies the reciprocity in that the 2nd Amendment applies equally, and the states cannot infringe upon it.  But we have accepted that states get to restrict our rights in violation of the Constitution, so the law restoring those rights is necessary.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
...But we have accepted that states get to restrict our rights in violation of the Constitution, so the law restoring those rights is necessary.

I would be most pleased to see that law only use the words:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 07:19:27 pm »
I just wish they would fix the "patchwork nature" within States. One carrying could walk in and out of businesses, and bounce back and forth between being within the law and breaking the law. And many businesses like movie theaters and the Malls do not post clearly at the entry's when guns are prohibited  - instead hiding the rule in a long list of rules in an hard to find location.  And why many legal concealed carriers play the don't ask don't tell scenario - keeping it hidden and your mouth shut.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:30 pm »

In a word, no.  Marriage and abortion aren't concepts covered (or even mentioned) in the U.S. Constitution, and as such are reserved by that document for state consideration if the states desire to do so.  The bearing of arms is most definitely covered, and the Constitution is unequivocal in saying that that right shall not be infringed, either by the federal government (the 2nd Amendment) or by state or local governments (the 14th Amendment).  The states do not have the authority to restrict the bearing of arms where the federal government doesn't.  That principle is inarguable.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!