Author Topic: Trump takes aim at House Republicans, and they run for cover  (Read 1298 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump takes aim at House Republicans, and they run for cover
« on: January 04, 2017, 03:36:43 am »

Trump takes aim at House Republicans, and they run for cover
Paul Kane

The Trump effect has landed forcefully on Capitol Hill.

Less than two hours after President-elect Donald Trump criticized House Republicans — in a tweet, of course — for trying to gut an ethics investigative unit on the first day of business in the new Congress, those plans lay in shambles in the Republican conference’s meeting room.

The immediate outcome was to keep intact the independent Office of Congressional Ethics — exactly the status quo that House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and his leadership team had hoped to protect. That result, however, appeared largely to be the result of Trump’s intervention rather than Ryan’s maneuvering.

more at:     http://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-takes-aim-at-house-republicans-and-they-run-for-cover/2017/01/03/fb530ad2-d1fb-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Trump takes aim at House Republicans, and they run for cover
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:40:26 am »

But lurking behind it all was the prospect that Trump’s political power, now aimed at Capitol Hill, can instill fear and force action.

By aiming his social-media fire hose on fellow Republicans — even as he assembles a Cabinet filled with billionaires and insiders — Trump made clear that he intends to continue giving voice to the anti-establishment outsiders who propelled him through the Republican primaries against much more seasoned politicians and to an electoral-college win against Democrat Hillary Clinton.

The people he's gathered are all top-flight, goal-oriented winners.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:06 am »
This may look good on the surface—after all, that was a terrible idea in the first place—but the idea that the notoriously unstable Trump can browbeat Congress into doing whatever he wants, what we Trump opponents had warned against this whole campaign, was demonstrated clearly right here.

May God help us should Trump go off the rails and Congress bows down like they bowed today.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:36 am »

This may look good on the surface—after all, that was a terrible idea in the first place—but the idea that the notoriously unstable Trump can browbeat Congress into doing whatever he wants, what we Trump opponents had warned against this whole campaign, was demonstrated clearly right here.

May God help us should Trump go off the rails and Congress bows down like they bowed today.

You miss the entire point here, @jmyrlefuller

He outflanked them.  "Trump", no less....because he KNEW what the visual would be.

The man might have picked up another million fans with this strategy.

THE BEST ELECTION EVER!!!!!

@Cyber Liberty...if I'm not mistaken....please forgive the exclamation marks     :patriot:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:41:22 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:03 am »

This IS good --on the surface and to its core.  The PEOTUS just saved the Republican Party from Republican malfeasance.

Yeah .. we might even see the Republican Party expand,  lower taxes, the repeal and replacement of Obamacare , the end of business-stifling regulations and control of our borders.   ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:57:01 am »

@jmyrlefuller

Don't worry

Congress didn't scrap the idea because of Trump, they scrapped the idea because they were immediately swamped with calls from angry constituents.

The media’s Trump ethics failure: Crediting the president-elect for an anti-corruption stand he didn’t make

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/03/the-medias-trump-ethics-failure-crediting-the-president-elect-for-an-anti-corruption-stand-he-didnt-make/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:11:40 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:20:47 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Don't worry

Congress didn't scrap the idea because of Trump, they scrapped the idea because they were immediately swamped with calls from angry constituents. 

Trump voters.  #DTS   888blackhat

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:28:48 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:39:55 pm »
@Cyber Liberty...if I'm not mistaken....please forgive the exclamation marks     :patriot:

If you got 'em, flaunt 'em.... :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »
If you got 'em, flaunt 'em.... :beer:

:laugh:    My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.   I smiled at a non-malicious post a few weeks ago where...I thought it was you...asked why "some Trump supporters use all caps and so many exclamation points".     

:beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »
:laugh:    My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.   I smiled at a non-malicious post a few weeks ago where...I thought it was you...asked why "some Trump supporters use all caps and so many exclamation points".     

:beer:

I thought that's what it was, but it wasn't me.  I usually just laugh at them.   :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: