Author Topic: Behind Closed Doors, House GOP Vote Overwhelmingly to Eviscerate Ethics Watchdog  (Read 577 times)

rangerrebew

Behind Closed Doors, House GOP Vote Overwhelmingly to Eviscerate Ethics Watchdog
January 3, 2017 | Common Dreams | commondreams.org | 10 views

corruption

By Jon Queally

Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives didn’t even wait for the new congressional session to begin before betraying President-elect Donald Trump’s key promise “to drain the swamp” of political corruption.

On Monday evening, in a closed-door party meeting, GOP lawmakers in the House voted overwhelmingly (119 to 74) to neutralize and reconfigure the Office of Congressional Ethics by stripping its independent authority and making it subservient to the very members of congress it was designed to oversee.

Though Trump himself has already showed (repeatedly) how the “drain the swamp” mantra was nothing more than empty campaign rhetoric, the Republican Party’s decision to ditch independent oversight of themselves looked to many like an ominous way to kick off the New Year or the 115th Congress, whose members will be sworn in Tuesday.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/behind-closed-doors-house-gop-vote-overwhelmingly-to-eviscerate-ethics-watchdog_012017
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:36:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Lando Lincoln

On its face, this is troubling - but I readily admit I don't know what is driving it.  I suspect there is a fatal flaw to the Committee's charter. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

How about something about the rationale for doing this, rather than simply a bald statement of what was done along with speculative aspersions about why it was done.

Online Lando Lincoln

How about something about the rationale for doing this, rather than simply a bald statement of what was done along with speculative aspersions about why it was done.

Bingo. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

It doesn't matter.  Their "bravado," as usual, turned out to be all talk.  They backed off the first time this year already.