Author Topic: House GOP Votes To Strip Independence From Congressional Ethics Office  (Read 397 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: House GOP Votes To Strip Independence From Congressional Ethics Office
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:32 am »
Ya can't fix stupid.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:46 pm »
http://www.npr.org/2017/01/02/507955013/house-gop-votes-to-strip-independence-from-congressional-ethics-office

:shrug:

My guess is the House with flips back in 2 years.

Good guess, I wouldn't bet against it. Pubbies have 2017 to accomplish the goals set for them by their voters. If that doesn't happen, we're staying home in 2018. They let us down in 2015 & 2016, so this is their last chance.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »
Remember, any organization not overtly conservative will over time become leftist.  This is due to leftists gravitating toward political and charitable organizations as vehicles for their control of society, and conservatives gravitating toward business and private organizations.  So I have no doubt at all that the CEO, started by Democrats, became more and more (over time) a vehicle for the excoriation of non-leftists rather than what it claims to be.  That being  the case, GOP oversight of the office is certainly appropriate.  If the Dems retake the House at some time in the future, they'll retake control of the CEO for the left, which will only return things to the current status quo.  So where's the downside of this action?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:37:19 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

This should be fun.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:40:41 pm »
Remember, any organization not overtly conservative will over time become leftist.  This is due to leftists gravitating toward political and charitable organizations as vehicles for their control of society, and conservatives gravitating toward business and private organizations.  So I have no doubt at all that the CEO, started by Democrats, became more and more (over time) a vehicle for the excoriation of non-leftists rather than what it claims to be.  That being  the case, GOP oversight of the office is certainly appropriate.  If the Dems retake the House at some time in the future, they'll retake control of the CEO for the left, which will only return things to the current status quo.  So where's the downside of this action?

Optics. But any reforming of corrupt federal agencies  - EPA, DOE, CIA etc etc - will have the same problem, and be met by the same charges.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:47 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

This should be fun.

Good trump but he needs to tend to his own house as well.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:25:44 pm »

Good trump but he needs to tend to his own house as well.

The house has already backed down and the Trump crowd are claiming credit but I see congressmen are saying that their offices were being flooded with calls.

I don't care how or why but I'm glad to see them drop it.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
When Newt said the ethics rules had to change for Trump, I guess he meant the whole new Trump Party