Author Topic: Killer with a conscience: Could this former death squad member bring down Duterte? - CNN  (Read 482 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Killer with a conscience: Could this former death squad member bring down Duterte?
By Euan McKirdy, Will Ripley and Pamela Boykoff, CNN

He's been under witness protection and remains in hiding. He has an outstanding case against his former boss and the Philippines' current president, Rodrigo Duterte, who is under investigation by the country's Human Rights Commission.

Warrant Pending

The government also has an arrest warrant out for him -- for not showing up in court on charges of possession of illegal firearms -- and has also charged him with a kidnapping in 2002.
Even though he's claimed to have killed dozens of people, they wouldn't dare charge him with murder, he says, as that would be an admission of wrongdoing on the part of the Duterte administration.

After decades in the employ of the Davao City government -- as an assassin, he says -- Matobato has now turned against his former paymaster.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/29/asia/philippines-ex-duterte-death-squad-member/index.html

Offline montanajoe

It's impossible for people in the US to understand how cheap life is in the Philippines. Anyone can be killed for a few hundred dollars and often for a lot less. Every politician there is corrupt and I find this guys story credible. I don't find Duterte's claim that the the Davao Death Squads are just legend credible.

Assassination of your political, business or personal enemies is the way of life there. I'm also sure that most would be lived to see another day if they had the money to pay their killers...