Author Topic: Obama Could Attempt Hail Mary to Put Garland on Supreme Court  (Read 964 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
Obama Could Attempt Hail Mary to Put Garland on Supreme Court
Monday, January 2, 2017 11:48 AM

By: Jeffrey Rodack

President Obama could try to sneak Merrick Garland onto the Supreme Court on Tuesday in a high stakes legal gamble that many say isn't worth the fight, The Washington Times reports.

There will be a 5-minute window open just before noon when the Senate gavels the 114th Congress out of session and the time the 115 Congress begins, according to the Times. During those 5 minutes, Obama could test his presidential authority and put his Garland, his nominee, on the high court.

The Times notes it would be a legal gamble since the Supreme Court overturned some of Obama's 2012 recess appointments, saying the Senate was actually in session and the president could not use his recess powers.

more
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Obama-Garland-Supreme-Court/2017/01/02/id/766415/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mom MD

Re: Obama Could Attempt Hail Mary to Put Garland on Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:22:04 pm »
I wouldn't put it past him   His bloated oversized ego is really smarting right now.  Fortunately if he tries it it would likely backfire in a big way and do even more to destroy his "legacy"
God is still in control

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »
Christmas is over.  It's time to take garland off, not put it on.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:51:19 pm »

I hope he does it. Just like Hillary first lost the election, then she lost the recount, then she had electors refusing to vote for her, in that sense this would be just another self inflicted loss for Obama. I think Congress would slap him in the face politically if he tried this stunt.

Also, it would get Congress all agitated and motivated to get rid of even more of Obama's political stunts once Trump assumes office. It would not go well for him to try to do this in his last couple of days in office.

All of D.C. seems to have the impression that 'party time' is over and the parents are going to be home soon. Obama needs to accept this.

All he should be worried about at this point, like every President before him, is packing up his shit and getting the hell out of the way.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:35:02 am »
As I said in a different thread, this is a load of bull.  Even if Obama tries this (and he's tried it before and been slapped down), the recess appointment only applies until the end of the next Congressional session.  All Congress has to do is to go into session, declare the session over, adjourn, and then go into a new session. Voila, recess appointment voided.

From the WaPo: "The real problem with trying to make such an intersession recess appointment is that the Supreme Court has held that such an appointment would be unconstitutional in Noel Canning v. NLRB. Dayen and Kilgore purport to address Noel Canning — claiming it does not apply since the case concerned only intrasession recess appointments — but they ignore what Justice Breyer’s opinion for the court actually says. As Seth Barrett Tillman points out, Noel Canning clearly precludes such an appointment. From Justice Breyer’s opinion:

'we conclude that the phrase “the recess” applies to both intra-session and inter-session recesses. If a Senate recess is so short [i.e., less than 3 days] that it does not require the consent of the House, it is too short to trigger the Recess Appointments Clause. See Art. I, § 5, cl. 4. And a recess lasting less than 10 days is presumptively too short as well.'

"If a three-day recess is too short, a three-second recess would certainly be as well and, contrary to Dayen’s and Kilgore’s suggestion, Justice Breyer’s opinion makes no distinction between intrasession and intersession recesses. All told, every justice on the court embraced an opinion rejecting the idea that such an intersession recess appointment would be constitutional."
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!