Author Topic: Mental Health Problems in Teens Linked to Lower IQ  (Read 1003 times)

rangerrebew

Mental Health Problems in Teens Linked to Lower IQ
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
Mental Health Problems in Teens Linked to Lower IQ
Association strongest for bipolar, behavioral disorders

by Molly Walker
    Staff Writer, MedPage Today
    December 29, 2016

Action Points

Note that this cross-sectional study of adolescents demonstrated an association between various psychiatric disorders and lower fluid intelligence (IQ) scores.
    In contrast to prior studies, post-traumatic stress disorder diagnoses were not associated with lower IQ.

Teenagers with various psychiatric disorders were linked with having lower average levels of "fluid intelligence," or IQ, compared with teens without these disorders, data from a large national survey found.

The study, by Katherine M. Keyes, PhD, co-director of the Psychiatric Epidemiology Training Program at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, and colleagues, found that after adjustment for confounders, adolescents ages 13 to 18 with bipolar disorder, various disruptive behavior disorders, substance use disorders, and specific phobias were associated with significantly lower mean IQ levels than their counterparts without these disorders.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/pediatrics/generalpediatrics/62303
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:54:37 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline mirraflake

Re: Mental Health Problems in Teens Linked to Lower IQ
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:21 pm »
In my life, what i have seen the people with high IQ's have always had the mental health problems.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:28:13 pm »
In my life, what i have seen the people with high IQ's have always had the mental health problems.

I have had the opposite experience, and I actually work with the top 3% in terms of IQ. 

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 04:51:58 pm »

Remember this article is about adolescents.  We can see from the congress that these, mostly intelligent, people do sink into madness after experiencing all the perks that go with the job.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »
Remember this article is about adolescents.  We can see from the congress that these, mostly intelligent, people do sink into madness after experiencing all the perks that go with the job.

You're conflating IQ with entitlement and greed.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »

I'm going to agree with you on this.

Certainly more creative the person they are usually crazy or leaning towards it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️