Author Topic: The Biggest Media Trend of 2016? Abject Humiliation of the Media  (Read 599 times)

rangerrebew

The Biggest Media Trend of 2016? Abject Humiliation of the Media
By Zach Schonfeld On 12/31/16 at 12:11 PM

Donald Trump

There were times in 2016 when I was staring mindlessly at my Twitter feed and a tweet by Ross Douthat, the conservative-in-residence of the New York Times op-ed page, would materialize on the screen. Not just any Douthat tweet—I don’t follow Ross Douthat—but an old Douthat tweet, an infamous Douthat tweet, a tweet of particular notoriety and tragicomic hubris:

If you also like to stare at Twitter every day until your eyes glaze over, chances are you saw it, too. It is one of those tweets that has taken on a life of its own, the way Olympic-level bad tweets sometimes do. When this particular bad tweet appeared upon my screen in 2016, it was usually being retweeted mockingly on the evening of some caucus or primary, as Donald Trump continued his inexorable rise and Marco Rubio continued his relentless slide into late night punchline territory.

http://www.newsweek.com/biggest-media-trend-2016-abject-humiliation-media-537496
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:27:04 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: The Biggest Media Trend of 2016? Abject Humiliation of the Media
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »
More amazingly they have started the new year the same way they left it - people rejecting their "news."  And they don't seem to have even investigated themselves to see what went changed.  Total arrogance.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: The Biggest Media Trend of 2016? Abject Humiliation of the Media
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:02:36 pm »
I worked as a reporter in regional daily newspapers, regional news radio, and Internet journalism
for many years. One thing I found myself having to resist on a constant basis was pressure to write
prediction stories. I could never pound into the heads of anyone I worked with that if there was one
irrevocable rule politics shared with baseball*, it was Berra's Law: it ain't over until it's over.

Somehow I prevailed, but such disagreements usually got entered into my files in red ink. In my
radio days, I was hit with the same thing on election day one year, when I was asked to co-anchor
the day and night coverage. During the day, I refused yet again to fall into the prediction trap.
The station owner happened to be co-anchoring with me. During a break, he accused me of
abject cowardice. My only reply was, "Dewey Defeats Truman." It went so far over his head you
could have flown a 747 between it and his scalp.

(* I wrote a baseball column for one newspaper for whom I worked until the editor in chief objected
to my calling someone who used choplogic---wait for it!---a choplogician; he bawled me out for trying
to invent a word and killed the column when I reminded him someone had to have invented all the
words we use in the first place. Not long afterward, I was fired over a complaint that I hadn't
written a story from a feminist point of view, when one woman I interviewed for the story complained
violently about it and I refused to back down. I was never so proud to have been fired in my life.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:05:39 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.