Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209974 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1825 on: December 17, 2017, 06:29:13 am »
I think it was Ronnie Van Zandt of Lynyrd Skynyrd who once said he wanted to die at age 90 being shot by a jealous husband.

I prefer Will Rogers:

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1826 on: December 17, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
We are ever assured they are all caring couples, faithful to the last, just like the folks next door...

**nononono* *****rollingeyes*****

@Smokin Joe

Uhhhhhhh...........
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1827 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:06 pm »
Iconic vocalist Keely Smith dies from apparent heart failure at 89

Keely Smith has died at age 89. Here is a press release regarding her death:

“Keely Smith, the iconic singer/performer known for her many solo recordings as well as her musical partnership with first husband Louis Prima died in Palm Springs, CA on Saturday, December 16.  She was 89 and under physicians’ care at the time of her passing from apparent heart failure. Born Dorothy Jacqueline Keely in Norfolk VA on March 9, 19 28 of Native American (Cherokee) and Irish parentage, Smith showed a natural aptitude for singing at a young age. At 14, she sang with a naval air station band and at 15, she got her first paying job with the Earl Bennett band.

Smith, still a teenager, auditioned to be the “girl singer” in Prima’s band, got the job and hit the road with them in 1948.  She and Prima married in 1953 and had two children together, Toni Prima and Luanne Prima, both of whom survive their mother.  The Smith and Prima combination was a potent one both on stage, on television, in films and on records and made Keely Smith a household name.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1828 on: December 17, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »
Didn't realize Miss Smith was still alive.  She sang with her first husband, Louis Prima's band.  This is my favorite:

! No longer available

Rest in peace, Miss Smith.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:33:17 pm by Applewood »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1829 on: December 17, 2017, 05:34:54 pm »
It's a good thing Louis Prima never ran for Senator as a Republican, he'd have been ripped to shreds by the press.... ^-^
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1830 on: December 17, 2017, 07:59:06 pm »
Half Mast Erections?

Not a problem for some of us  :silly: 60+ crowd.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1831 on: December 17, 2017, 10:43:56 pm »
I prefer Will Rogers:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”
@Cyber Liberty

That's actually by Jack Handey.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:51:00 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1832 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:07 am »
It's a good thing Louis Prima never ran for Senator as a Republican, he'd have been ripped to shreds by the press.... ^-^
She was his wife - does he still get in trouble?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1833 on: December 18, 2017, 01:07:21 am »
She was his wife - does he still get in trouble?

Yeah, if he's in the wrong Party.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1834 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:54 am »
Iconic vocalist Keely Smith dies from apparent heart failure at 89

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

She and Louie were so good I tried to never miss their appearances on the Ed Sullivan show back in the 50's,and I was just a little kid. They were the prefect match for the tv era. She,with her bored robotic appearance and GREAT voice,along with Prima,the dancing clown with a great voice were hard to beat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1835 on: December 18, 2017, 08:01:32 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

That's actually by Jack Handey.
I have also heard it attributed to British comic Bob Monkhouse.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #1836 on: December 18, 2017, 08:11:41 pm »

Abraham Lincoln said it first
Countdown to Resignation

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1837 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:25 pm »
She and Louie were so good I tried to never miss their appearances on the Ed Sullivan show back in the 50's,and I was just a little kid. They were the prefect match for the tv era. She,with her bored robotic appearance and GREAT voice,along with Prima,the dancing clown with a great voice were hard to beat.
I remember our first TV. We received two fuzzy channels. Period.

I died and went to heaven, when we moved to California, and saw TV on my grandparents set. Seven clear channels.

And adults determined what was watched, and for how long. That meant adult programs and children's' programs.

Adult meant variety shows, and this couple typified good televised entertainment.

That couple were popular with both my anglo-nordic-American parents, and my wife's Italian-American parents.

That "Black Magic" song still stirs me.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1838 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29:21 pm »
Abraham Lincoln said it first

Yes, but he said "two horse carriage", not "car".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1839 on: December 18, 2017, 09:06:03 pm »
Yes, but he said "two horse carriage", not "car".

I thought it was "Surrey with a fringe on top"
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1840 on: December 19, 2017, 03:46:42 am »
I remember our first TV. We received two fuzzy channels. Period.

I died and went to heaven, when we moved to California, and saw TV on my grandparents set. Seven clear channels.

And adults determined what was watched, and for how long. That meant adult programs and children's' programs.

Adult meant variety shows, and this couple typified good televised entertainment.

That couple were popular with both my anglo-nordic-American parents, and my wife's Italian-American parents.

That "Black Magic" song still stirs me.

@truth_seeker

Here she is singing with The Jive Aces in 2008.  Can you imagine how thrilled they were to perform with her live?

! No longer available

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1841 on: December 19, 2017, 04:26:09 am »
@truth_seeker

Here she is singing with The Jive Aces in 2008.  Can you imagine how thrilled they were to perform with her live?

Yep. The Brits have loved American music from way, way back. Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country.
@sneakypete

And I have loved theirs, too. Notably Van Morrison, Sade to just mention a couple faves. (plus many of the usual suspects)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1842 on: December 19, 2017, 10:19:43 am »

Yes, but it was Jack Handey, one of his "Deep Thoughts" when he was a writer for SNL.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1843 on: December 19, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »
Yes, but it was Jack Handey, one of his "Deep Thoughts" when he was a writer for SNL.

No, it was Will Rogers, and he predates Handey by at least a few decades.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/466354-when-i-die-i-want-to-die-like-my-grandfather

It's also on Cheezeburger

I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1844 on: December 19, 2017, 04:16:41 pm »
Not sure how many of you are familiar with Mark Gungor...he does a great series on couples and relationships with an especially hilarious piece on how men's and women's brains are wired differently. 

! No longer available

His wife...and high school sweetheart...passed away over the weekend of cancer. she was 63.

I firmly believe the experiences he talked about were probably based on experiences with him and his wife.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1845 on: December 19, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »
Tom Zenk, of Can-Am Connection, dies at 59 (professional wrestler)

Tom Zenk, known for time teaming with Rick Martel as the Can-Am Connection in the 1980s, died Dec. 9 at 59 years old.

Trained by Eddie Sharkey, Zenk was a bodybuilder turned wrestler who earned the title Mr. Twin Cities in May 1981 after coming in at third place in October 1980 for the Mr. North Country championship. In July 1981, Zenk earned the Mr. Minnesota triple crown, securing titles in the overall, heavyweight and most muscular divisions.

Road Warrior Animal discovered Zenk at a bodybuilding competition and suggested he make the journey to professional wrestling.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1846 on: December 19, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »
No, it was Will Rogers, and he predates Handey by at least a few decades.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/466354-when-i-die-i-want-to-die-like-my-grandfather

It's also on Cheezeburger

Yes, enough decades that his grandfather certainly wasnt driving a car!!

Note your source...goodreads...which is loaded with garbage, sonce anone can post whate very they want.  You'll not find a primary source for it in Rogers, because it's spurious.  OTOH, Handey has published it under his own name, since he wrote it.

Will Rogers also said "don't believe everything you read on the internet".
                                --Sedorner at
from r/quotes

https://www.reddit.com/r/quotes/comments/4sbqkl/when_i_die_i_want_to_die_like_my_grandfather_who/
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1847 on: December 19, 2017, 11:25:53 pm »
Yes, enough decades that his grandfather certainly wasnt driving a car!!

Note your source...goodreads...which is loaded with garbage, sonce anone can post whate very they want.  You'll not find a primary source for it in Rogers, because it's spurious.  OTOH, Handey has published it under his own name, since he wrote it.
                                --Sedorner at
from r/quotes

https://www.reddit.com/r/quotes/comments/4sbqkl/when_i_die_i_want_to_die_like_my_grandfather_who/

Got it.  I will never again challenge your assertions that a SNL actor wrote something that was known for eons before.  Will rogers, after all, never engaged in hyperbole in his life.
I will NOT comply.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1848 on: December 20, 2017, 04:13:37 am »
Heather North dies at 71

North is perhaps most famous for voicing the role of Daphne Blake on the cartoon Scooby-Doo, a role she took partway through the first series and held onto for most of the 1970s and 1980s. She had a few bit parts on live-action television series, mostly in the 1960s and 1970s, including the soap opera Days of Our Lives, whose producer, Wes Kenney, would later marry North (despite him being 19 years her senior). North died November 30 of a long but unspecified illness; her death was not made public until December 19.

Obituary from Entertainment Weekly

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:26:59 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1849 on: December 20, 2017, 04:22:39 am »
@Suppressed @Cyber Liberty

I'm pretty sure it's Bob Monkhouse. This article, which was printed around the time of his death in 2003, attributes it to him as an established gag of his, although I've had a hard time finding a date for when he first said it:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/dec/29/arts.artsnews1