Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209855 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1750 on: December 05, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
Herb Anderson also played John Hammond, Sr. in that badly-bowdlerised film
The Benny Goodman Story which had Steve Allen (who actually did
look a little like Goodman) in the title role and Donna Reed as the Alice
Hammond who married Goodman. The bowdlerising only began with
the fact that, unlike in the film, Goodman didn't play "Memories of You"
at Carnegie Hall as a way to propose to her . . .

Mmmmmm......... love that movie anyway!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1751 on: December 05, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »
@Restored

Not if I am quoting my personal hero,Foghorn Leghorn.
@sneakypete
You were actually quoting Sen. Beauregard Claghorn, the "Allen's Alley" character
(from radio's Fred Allen Show) from whom Foghorn Leghorn was ripped off
entirely . . . but let's not get technical . . . ;)

Kenny Delmar was a fine dramatic actor who appeared frequently in the Theatre
Guild radio productions and in many serious plays. Kenny was also an accomplished
dialectician. The Senator Claghorn character was only one of the vocal cartoons
culled from his gallery of comedy creations.

---Fred Allen, in his memoir Treadmill to Oblivion

The Fred Allen Show, "Les Miserables Reprise; Allen's Alley: The Chicken Surplus" (NBC, 3 December 1946)

Delmar created Senator Claghorn based on a blustery rancher he had known. But Delmar
never voiced Foghorn Leghorn---Mel Blanc (himself a considerable radio presence; he'd
first done the Happy Postman character on Burns & Allen's show, and played Jack Benny's
hapless violin teacher and other roles) did. Delmar actually made a feature film as Claghorn,
the comedy It's a Joke, Son in 1947.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1752 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:01 pm »
Mmmmmm......... love that movie anyway!
@musiclady
I loved it when I was younger . . . and hadn't yet read John Hammond's memoir, in which he
roasted the film's inaccuracies including and especially about the courtship of Benny Goodman
and Alice Hammond and the fact that Hammond's wealthy family weren't the musical snobs
they were portrayed to have been in the film. I still think it's entertaining, but I can't take it
seriously as a true story of Goodman's life and success.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1753 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:08 pm »
@musiclady
I loved it when I was younger . . . and hadn't yet read John Hammond's memoir, in which he
roasted the film's inaccuracies including and especially about the courtship of Benny Goodman
and Alice Hammond and the fact that Hammond's wealthy family weren't the musical snobs
they were portrayed to have been in the film. I still think it's entertaining, but I can't take it
seriously as a true story of Goodman's life and success.

I guess I don't take any Hollywood Biopic too seriously.  I like to hear the music, know the story is enhanced, and just enjoy it.  I also liked that Benny Goodman did his own clarinet stuff in it. (Heard him perform a Classical concert and he was phenomenal).

I liked when John Hammond started tapping his foot at the Carnegie concert.  I thought that was a nice touch.

Oh........ and I particularly enjoyed Jimmy Stewart as Glenn Miller.  Maybe my favorite Biopic.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1754 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:48 pm »
Oh........ and I particularly enjoyed Jimmy Stewart as Glenn Miller.  Maybe my favorite Biopic.
@musiclady
For bowdlerising that one was even worse---and it only began with the fact that, while the movie
kept using Miller's supposed aversion to the song as a kind of running gag, until his Army Air Force
band played it as a "new thing" in his memory, he actually recorded "Little Brown Jug" before
going into the AAF and had a big hit with it

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1755 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »
@musiclady
If you haven't seen it yet, I'll save you the trouble regarding Jersey Boys, the film based on the
musical based on the lives of the Four Seasons---it may be one of the worst Hollywood bowdlerisings
of them all, and the fact that Clint Eastwood (director) was the culprit makes it even worse. I'll send
you the review I wrote of it when the film came out.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1756 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/bowdlerize

Who knew I'd learn a new word today on an obituary thread?! Life is unpredictable to say the least.

BTW, can bowdlerizing also pertain to sculptures and statues? If so, I'd say that a whole bunch of them are being bowdlerized because they've been deemed offensive.  :silly:8888crybaby

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1757 on: December 05, 2017, 11:09:57 pm »
BTW, can bowdlerizing also pertain to sculptures and statues? If so, I'd say that a whole bunch of them are being bowdlerized because they've been deemed offensive.  :silly:8888crybaby
I'm pretty sure it could.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1758 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:51 am »
@musiclady
For bowdlerising that one was even worse---and it only began with the fact that, while the movie
kept using Miller's supposed aversion to the song as a kind of running gag, until his Army Air Force
band played it as a "new thing" in his memory, he actually recorded "Little Brown Jug" before
going into the AAF and had a big hit with it

I know the Glenn Miller story isn't authentic, but it's so much fun, doncha think??  (Well, until he dies, that is).

I can't think of anything that Jimmy Stewart's been in that I didn't like.  Our whole family went into mourning when he died.  (Not really, but we were sad at his passing).

I'll take your advice on Jersey Boys and avoid it.  I heard the language was pretty bad, but if it's not even the real story in this day and age (I give old Hollywood some slack), then it's really not worth seeing.

(Thanks for the review.  I'll get to it when I have a few moments).

@EasyAce
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:09:31 am by musiclady »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1759 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:47 am »
I know the Glenn Miller story isn't authentic, but it's so much fun, doncha think??  (Well, until he dies, that is).
Actually . . . no, it wasn't that much fun even with Jimmy Stewart. He was more wooden in that
film than Glenn Miller actually was, and from what I've read about Miller he wasn't exactly
the life of the party himself. And I didn't much like the over-presence of Chummy MacGregor
(Harry Morgan) in the film, when anyone who knew anything about the Miller operation deeper
than buying his records knew MacGregor was actually a marginal musical influence while
being one of Miller's few true intimates. (It's said MacGregor was so fond of dragging the tempos
that he drove half the musicians in the band to the nearest rye bottle. MacGregor himself was
made a consultant on the Miller film, which is kind of like inviting James Carville to be a consultant
on a film biography of Bill Clinton . . .)

The most fun I ever had with Glenn Miller in fact or fiction was finding in a second-hand shop
a two-album set of the Miller band's recordings for the two films they made before Miller went
into the AAF. They cut the stuff fresh on the 20th Century Fox sound stage and, for whatever
reason, delivered performances that provided the only time in Miller's recording history that
you could actually say the Miller band kicked. ass. Close your eyes, remove the Modernaires
and Tex Benecke's vocals, and you'd swear you were listening to Tommy Dorsey when Sy Oliver
was his arranger. I hope those recordings get a reissue soon.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:02:43 am by EasyAce »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1760 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:44 am »
He was best known as the dad of  Dennis the Menace before he entered politics.
No, come on, everyone knows he was the founder of Anderson's Split Pea Soup.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1761 on: December 08, 2017, 02:22:35 am »
James Moody; History Department, Lake Superior State University
Well-loved by his students.
His last class was Monday. Tuesday night he was in hospice care, and this morning he died.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1762 on: December 08, 2017, 03:06:08 am »
Dedicated to the end.  May he rest in peace.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1763 on: December 08, 2017, 03:37:40 am »
That's the way to go. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1764 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:59 pm »
Well-loved by his students.
His last class was Monday. Tuesday night he was in hospice care, and this morning he died.

When ya gotta go,that's the way to do it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1765 on: December 08, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
That's the way to go.

I want to go peacefully in my sleep.  Unlike the screaming passengers in my car.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1766 on: December 08, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »
Well-loved by his students. His last class was Monday. Tuesday night he was in hospice care, and this morning he died.
Sure, now who has to box up all those books?!?

(Sorry, still a little stressed from having so much of my mother's stuff in our basement three years after her death.   ^-^ 8888spinning cat )
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1767 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
I want to go peacefully in my sleep.  Unlike the screaming passengers in my car.

Credit: Jack Handey
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:56:55 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1768 on: December 09, 2017, 03:29:33 pm »
Sure, now who has to box up all those books?!?

(Sorry, still a little stressed from having so much of my mother's stuff in our basement three years after her death.   ^-^ 8888spinning cat )
I'd volunteer if I could haul them home!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1769 on: December 09, 2017, 03:53:02 pm »
From a few days ago....

Thousands of fans and celebrities bid au revoir to 'French Elvis' Johnny Hallyday
https://news.sky.com/story/thousands-of-fans-and-celebrities-bid-au-revoir-to-french-elvis-johnny-hallyday-11163027

A very talented performer, and Frenchman who loved America and American culture.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1770 on: December 09, 2017, 04:13:08 pm »
I just saw a story about Hallyday's funeral and was unaware of his passing. He was such a big star in France, but nearly unknown in the US.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1771 on: December 09, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »
I just saw a story about Hallyday's funeral and was unaware of his passing. He was such a big star in France, but nearly unknown in the US.

I liked this one....

! No longer available

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1772 on: December 09, 2017, 06:34:58 pm »
Ken Shapiro, Whose ‘Groove Tube’ Satirized TV, Dies at 75

Ken Shapiro, a former child television actor whose hit 1974 film, “The Groove Tube,” anticipated “Saturday Night Live” by a year with sketches that wickedly satirized TV, died on Nov. 18 at his home in Las Cruces, N.M. He was 75.

His daughter, Rosy Rosenkrantz, said the cause was cancer.

Mr. Shapiro’s film, with a cast that included Chevy Chase, a future “S.N.L.” star, and the comedian Richard Belzer, was simultaneously inspired by Sid Caesar and Ernie Kovacs’s TV comedy shows of the 1950s and invigorated by the nudity, profanity and raunchiness commonplace in 1970s movies.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Videos

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1773 on: December 09, 2017, 06:52:36 pm »
Ken Shapiro, Whose ‘Groove Tube’ Satirized TV, Dies at 75

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Videos

It's time for Koko the Clown!

! No longer available
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:55:27 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1774 on: December 11, 2017, 04:02:46 pm »
RIP: Bruce Brown, 1937-2017: Iconic California surf filmmaker passes away (The Endless Summer)

Drew Kampion
Surfline
December 11, 2017

Bruce Brown, longtime surf filmmaker and director of the seminal “Endless Summer” just passed at 80 years old.

Drew Kampion wrote the following for our Surfing A-Z entry on Brown:

Prior to 1964, the media saw surfers as rebellious thugs, and Hollywood made them out to be a bunch of idiots. Filmmaker Bruce Brown single-handedly changed that with The Endless Summer. It portrayed the wave as a kind of Holy Grail and surfers as knights on a quest. In one stroke, he replaced Hollywood's buffoonery with the popular mythology that endures today.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official site