Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209434 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1600 on: November 19, 2017, 07:23:19 pm »
Growing up, I remember seeing Mel Tillis on numerous talk and variety shows -- Mike Douglas Show, in particular.  His stutter didn't affect his musical talent. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Tillis.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1601 on: November 19, 2017, 07:25:48 pm »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:47:10 pm by Freya »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1602 on: November 19, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »
Earle Hyman, Russell Huxtable on ‘Cosby Show,’ dead at 91

Earle Hyman, best known as Russell Huxtable on “The Cosby Show” died Friday.

He was 91.

Hyman died at the Lillian Booth Actors Home in Englewood, N.J., according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The longtime actor played Cliff Huxtable’s (Bill Cosby) father on 40 episodes over the show’s nine-season run, earning him a 1986 Emmy nomination for Outstanding Guest Performer in a Comedy Series.

Excerpt.  Read more at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/earle-hyman-russell-huxtable-cosby-show-dead-91-article-1.3644200

Online libertybele

« Reply #1603 on: November 19, 2017, 09:30:55 pm »
Is it me, or does there seem to be an unbelievable amount of celebrities passing this year?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1604 on: November 19, 2017, 09:45:52 pm »
Is it me, or does there seem to be an unbelievable amount of celebrities passing this year?

What I'm noticing is how many of those leaving us are young.  Now, I think those in their 60s are young because that's my age bracket.  But so many are dying even younger. 

What was that about the average life expectancy is increasing?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1605 on: November 19, 2017, 10:03:02 pm »

It seems to me that a bunch of rockers and actors in my general age category are dying, probably due to complications from drug and alcohol abuse when they were young and foolish back in the 60's and 70's.

(Or perhaps old and foolish much more recently.......)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1606 on: November 19, 2017, 10:03:50 pm »
What I'm noticing is how many of those leaving us are young.  Now, I think those in their 60s are young because that's my age bracket.  But so many are dying even younger. 

What was that about the average life expectancy is increasing?

Apparently only if one takes care of one's body.  (And mind and soul).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1607 on: November 19, 2017, 11:02:21 pm »

Maybe, but to me it still doesn't seem to have matched how many passed in 2016. 
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1608 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:06 pm »
Apparently only if one takes care of one's body.  (And mind and soul).
@musiclady  @Applewood

I guess it never occurred to either of you that they may have had more fun before they were 40 than most people would have if they lived to be 200 BECAUSE they took chances?

Life is for living,not enduring.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1609 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »

Because of the promulgation of television in the 1960s, the number of celebrities ballooned over that time, now they are hitting their 70s and 80s, so it stands to reason why the number of celebrity deaths are much higher than before.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1610 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:12 pm »
Because of the promulgation of television in the 1960s, the number of celebrities ballooned over that time, now they are hitting their 70s and 80s, so it stands to reason why the number of celebrity deaths are much higher than before.

@dfwgator

Plus so many of US are hitting those numbers ourselves that we pay more attention to the deaths now than we used to. After all,how often do you remember seeing people in their teens or 20's reading obits?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1611 on: November 19, 2017, 11:19:44 pm »
@musiclady  @Applewood

I guess it never occurred to either of you that they may have had more fun before they were 40 than most people would have if they lived to be 200 BECAUSE they took chances?

Well, I can tell you that I have lived well and had great fun my entire life, taking care of myself, and I'm still feeling great at nearly 70.

On top of that, I can actually remember all the fun I had, and never did anything stupid because I wasn't in control of my faculties.

It's not a wise choice to destroy your present and your future in the name of "fun."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1612 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »
I blew up a crap ton of anthills.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1613 on: November 19, 2017, 11:31:20 pm »
@dfwgator

Plus so many of US are hitting those numbers ourselves that we pay more attention to the deaths now than we used to. After all,how often do you remember seeing people in their teens or 20's reading obits?
Turning 70 or more:

Elton John, Eric Clapton, Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt, Ringo Starr, Paul Williams, Joe Walsh,  and many more well known performers.

What do they have in common? Long term sobriety. (Or it would have likely killed them long ago.)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1614 on: November 19, 2017, 11:39:31 pm »
@dfwgator

I remember when Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald (and many others) died, and I was just a kid.

Lots of stars died early then too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1615 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:50 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1616 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:20 am »
@musiclady  @Applewood

Yeah, but some of these people did a little too much living, too fast and it seems their bodies couldn't take it. 

But who knows why all that fast living and risk taking kills some people so young, while others seem to go on and on?  Look at Willie Nelson.  That guy should have been dead a long time ago, but he's in his 80s and still touring.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1617 on: November 20, 2017, 12:58:24 am »
Well, I can tell you that I have lived well and had great fun my entire life, taking care of myself, and I'm still feeling great at nearly 70.

On top of that, I can actually remember all the fun I had, and never did anything stupid because I wasn't in control of my faculties.

It's not a wise choice to destroy your present and your future in the name of "fun."

@musiclady

I am now in my 7th decade of excellence,and have lived damn near my entire life wide-open. Enlisted in the army as "airborne unassigned" on my 17th birthday,volunteered for VN,volunteered for SOG/recon missions into Laos and Cambodia,and volunteered to extend my tour another 6 months.

If I ever wanted to do anything,I pretty much did it without giving any thought as to consequences,and as a result have led a life with a lot of adventures,some of which I enjoyed more than others. Still,I took the chance and always ended up learning something in the process.

I made some mistakes,some of them painful,but the only ones I regret at all are the mistakes I made that may have inadvertently caused harm or grief to others by accident. Not all the time,mind you. Some of those SOB's deserved everything that happened to them,and I take joy at having been able to dish it out to them.

When I lay dying,I won't be listing regrets over roads  untraveled in my mind,and genuinely feel sorry for those who lived their lives wearing red and marching in straight lines so they could be cogs in the machine and never have to take any chances. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:00:47 am by sneakypete »

Online libertybele

« Reply #1618 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:13 am »
Yeah, but some of these people did a little too much living, too fast and it seems their bodies couldn't take it. 

But who knows why all that fast living and risk taking kills some people so young, while others seem to go on and on?  Look at Willie Nelson.  That guy should have been dead a long time ago, but he's in his 80s and still touring.

I honestly believe that pot is helping Willie to obtain his longevity ...just my humble opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #1619 on: November 20, 2017, 01:23:33 am »
   That's some deep $hit @sneakypete, thanks for sharing

Your morsel below I find myself using when answering my family's questions about my current lifestyle.

Don't remember when, for me, it became about Quality NOT Quantity but no regrets, I'm happy and I'm not hurting anyone other than myself and possibly @Frank Cannon with my stupid Polls, Life is Good.
@musiclady  @Applewood

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1620 on: November 20, 2017, 01:40:03 am »
@musiclady

I am now in my 7th decade of excellence,and have lived damn near my entire life wide-open. Enlisted in the army as "airborne unassigned" on my 17th birthday,volunteered for VN,volunteered for SOG/recon missions into Laos and Cambodia,and volunteered to extend my tour another 6 months.

If I ever wanted to do anything,I pretty much did it without giving any thought as to consequences,and as a result have led a life with a lot of adventures,some of which I enjoyed more than others. Still,I took the chance and always ended up learning something in the process.

I made some mistakes,some of them painful,but the only ones I regret at all are the mistakes I made that may have inadvertently caused harm or grief to others by accident. Not all the time,mind you. Some of those SOB's deserved everything that happened to them,and I take joy at having been able to dish it out to them.

When I lay dying,I won't be listing regrets over roads  untraveled in my mind,and genuinely feel sorry for those who lived their lives wearing red and marching in straight lines so they could be cogs in the machine and never have to take any chances.

Your mistake is in thinking that people who don't do drugs, live lascivious lives or get drunk a lot live boring lives.

Not so.   Not even close.

I too have lived a life of adventure, and have taken chances........... and remember every moment of it.

No regrets.  No agonizing over life not lived well.

And definitely not wishing that, like Jack Cassidy, I burned myself to death in a drunken stupor.

Don't feel sorry for those of us who choose different kinds of adventure........... especially those of us who are still healthy enough to keep having them when our wild and reckless peers are dropping like flies.  ^-^

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1621 on: November 20, 2017, 01:53:15 am »
@musiclady  @Applewood

I guess it never occurred to a lot of people that there are those who can and do enjoy life (or as you refer to it, "have fun") by making intelligent choices about their lives. I'm always befuddled when people equate drinking (or drugging) with fun. Since I'm not sure what you are saying by your post, maybe we are talking past each other, but one thing I know for sure: One can live a life rich and full without having to alter their mind with a substance. It's also a good demonstration to kids who are watching adults (and they always are) for cues on how to function as an adult. If they can witness that substances aren't required in order to enjoy life, they can believe that sobriety is a valid choice when others try to tempt them with alcohol or drugs.

Good judgment isn't only limited to substances, either. Kids observe how adults comport themselves, whether they keep their word to others, whether they're kind or critical, whether they're moral, whether they're responsible, etc. Kids are always receiving messages from the adults around them even if they're not totally aware of it. If we could just manage to raise a good generation of kids into highly functioning adults, maybe there would be hope for this nation. Instead, we become less functional with every passing generation.

I wised up a little later than I would have preferred but I was still quite young. Never, for a single moment -- not even a nano-second -- did I have the sense that I was enduring life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og8dVo2WY1U

@musiclady

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1622 on: November 20, 2017, 01:56:37 am »
I honestly believe that pot is helping Willie to obtain his longevity ...just my humble opinion.

Based on...???

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1623 on: November 20, 2017, 02:08:46 am »
Projection. Look around you. There are more old drunks running around than there are old preachers. How many people,other than Cassidy,do you know of that burned up in a drunken stupor,most likely from a lit cigarette?
You ever heard of Steve Marriott?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:10:04 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1624 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:29 am »
You ever heard of Steve Marriott?

Yes, what a voice!