Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209916 times)

Online libertybele

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1225 on: August 09, 2017, 11:34:13 pm »
Two great ones, that died in the last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3NoFsaKQ0

I usually don't get emotional over celebrities; but Leon and Glen were absolutely amazingly talented and both are legendary.  Their stories each different, but similar in the aspect that few really know how talented they really were; being a part of the "Wrecking Crew" is a story all in it's own.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1226 on: August 09, 2017, 11:38:57 pm »
Sung in 2012 -- Alzheimer's had already set in.  He's still absolutely fantastic!!!!  It was incredible that his family helped him to continue to tour ... till he just couldn't!  Love it...  Yep ... I'm emotional over this one folks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufM9cICV_g
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:40:49 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1227 on: August 09, 2017, 11:43:10 pm »
Try A Little Kidness!!  Guitar pickin' at its best!!  Amazing! 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPCYoVEjv0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:45:09 pm by libertybele »

Online libertybele

« Reply #1228 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:59 pm »
Gentle On My Mind -- Last Live Performance

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTcAZyAzX4

Online libertybele

« Reply #1229 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:01 pm »
Glen Campbell - Adios     RIP!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQQoUx1oOU
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:58:39 pm by libertybele »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1230 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:14 am »

Wingnut

« Reply #1231 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:38 am »
Y'all should start a Glen Campbell thread over in the Music forum. Post up your favorite youtube videos and such  Then you could revisit it when you need a Rhinestone Cowboy fix!
Link to forum is:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/board,96.0.html

Online libertybele

« Reply #1232 on: August 10, 2017, 12:20:44 am »
Glen Campbell - Amazing Grace (with bagpipes)!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAiWDRh5tU

Offline corbe

« Reply #1233 on: August 10, 2017, 04:07:11 am »

Glen Campbell album sales soar 13,000 percent after singer's death
 Reuters
5 hrs ago

Analytics company BuzzAngle Music said Campbell's digital album sales rose more than 13,000 percent on Tuesday after news of the musician's passing at the age of 81.

Most of the sales came for Campbell's greatest hits albums, but streaming and sales of his hit songs were also up more than 6,000 percent, BuzzAngle Music reported on Wednesday.

Campbell's death in Nashville, following a nationwide farewell tour in 2012 following his Alzheimer's announcement, brought emotional tributes from country music stars and fans alike.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/glen-campbell-album-sales-soar-13000-percent-after-singers-death/ar-AApNjfT?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline anubias

« Reply #1234 on: August 10, 2017, 07:25:34 pm »
My personal favorite that always brings back some sweet memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1235 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:15 am »
Glenn Campbell has died.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/08/glen-campbell-dead/

I'm really bummed out about this. RIP, Rhinestone Cowboy

I was at the vet when I read it on Drudge. When the vet and her tech came back in the room, I told them that Glen Campbell had just passed. They looked at me blankly. "Who?"

Honestly! How do you go through life and not know who Glen Campbell is? She said that they were rockers and didn't listen to country stations. I explained to her that he wasn't limited to country stations. His music was Top 40. I named some of the songs he was well known for -- "Galveston" being one of them, and told them that he was in "True Grit." No light came on for them. I really kinda thought "Galveston" would trigger something they could recognize since the vet I visited was at Animal Alliance of GALVESTON County.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1236 on: August 11, 2017, 03:24:57 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI&feature=share

It stuns me when someone criticizes this song. I've only seen a handful of negative comments about it, so I understand that most people do get it. It's such a poignant and haunting lyric about such a devastatingly cruel disease. I remember feeling conflicted when Maureen Reagan passed. I was glad that her dad didn't have to experience the pain of losing her, and yet sad that he couldn't experience the pain of losing her. That's the tragic dichotomy of Alzheimer's.

One of my BFFs takes care of elderly folks, some of whom have dementia. One of her Alzheimer's patients sadly says of herself that she's just a blank sheet of paper. I'm sure in his moments of clarity before his mind completely succumbed to the disease, Glen knew exactly what was ahead of him.   

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1237 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:44 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cc7xNUA2w

My favorite version of this song.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1238 on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:37 am »
I was at the vet when I read it on Drudge. When the vet and her tech came back in the room, I told them that Glen Campbell had just passed. They looked at me blankly. "Who?"

Honestly! How do you go through life and not know who Glen Campbell is? She said that they were rockers and didn't listen to country stations. I explained to her that he wasn't limited to country stations. His music was Top 40. I named some of the songs he was well known for -- "Galveston" being one of them, and told them that he was in "True Grit." No light came on for them. I really kinda thought "Galveston" would trigger something they could recognize since the vet I visited was at Animal Alliance of GALVESTON County.

Netflix just put up that Alzheimer's movie about Glen Campbell so I would assume if you are of the generation who only knows bs like the kardashians, you might be  familiar with that.

Galveston was used as the closing on one of the episodes of that HBO special they did on Robert Hurst. Again, I would think people would recognize him for that.

Unfortunately I think people are indeed getting dumber and dumber, and Mike Judge was correct a decade ago with his movie. We are culturally illiterate
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1239 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »
It stuns me when someone criticizes this song.
I hope you didn't take any of my comments as criticism of the Campbell video. As one with family members who have had dementia, I certainly wouldn't do that. It's a sad song.

Also sad is that people in Galveston could be unfamiliar with him!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:44:02 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1240 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »

How old did they look?  If they were at least in their late thirties or early forties, they haven't gotten out much.
But then again I'm nearing seventy, and I'd probably wouldn't recognize many famous, young entertainers today. Never listen to any of them.
However, when I was in my teens many of the people/entertainers I liked (such as Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, etal) were as much as fifty years or more older than I was.  We didn't care what age they were.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1241 on: August 11, 2017, 07:31:45 pm »
Unfortunately I think people are indeed getting dumber and dumber...

I agree. And isn't it ironic that that's happening in such an era as this one where people have access to more information at their fingertips than any previous generation ever has. :shrug:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1242 on: August 11, 2017, 07:36:08 pm »
I agree. And isn't it ironic that that's happening in such an era as this one where people have access to more information at their fingertips than any previous generation ever has. :shrug:

Because people think they don't have to learn anything, because if they actually do need to know something they can just "Google" it.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1243 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »
I hope you didn't take any of my comments as criticism of the Campbell video. As one with family members who have had dementia, I certainly wouldn't do that. It's a sad song.

Also sad is that people in Galveston could be unfamiliar with him!

Not at all did I consider you to be critical of Glen's song. I had seen someone on this thread say some rather ugly things but then I considered the source.

I remember viewing the song for the first time on YouTube the night he passed. Even, on YouTube -- where people say some of the most hideous, vile things behind their masks of anonymity -- about 98% of the commenters understood the song's message. I think it's a rather remarkable song.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1244 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:13 pm »
How old did they look?  If they were at least in their late thirties or early forties, they haven't gotten out much.
But then again I'm nearing seventy, and I'd probably wouldn't recognize many famous, young entertainers today. Never listen to any of them.
However, when I was in my teens many of the people/entertainers I liked (such as Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, etal) were as much as fifty years or more older than I was.  We didn't care what age they were.

The vet wasn't a spring chicken but wasn't as old as I am (this year I reached that 7th decade that you're nearing). The tech was quite young. She did know of Glen Campbell but only because of her parents. Both drew a blank when I sang a few notes of "Galveston." (Yes, I sang in the exam room. I'm eccentric that way.)

Like you, I don't have much knowledge of today's singers, except for the few whose work is present in many media venues. Before the groping trial, I knew who Taylor Swift was. The only song I know of hers is from that viral video of the policeman lip syncing it in his car, which I thought was just a hoot. Reminded me of myself and some of my own "performances" behind the wheel. Also, like you, I was well acquainted with the names of the entertainers you mentioned.

Policeman performing Taylor Swift song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XFBUM8dMqw

Offline berdie

« Reply #1245 on: August 12, 2017, 05:17:10 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI&feature=share

The first time I heard that song I broke down in tears. He was still at the point that he knew what was happening @mountaineer

Offline berdie

« Reply #1246 on: August 12, 2017, 05:29:38 am »
Sung in 2012 -- Alzheimer's had already set in.  He's still absolutely fantastic!!!!  It was incredible that his family helped him to continue to tour ... till he just couldn't!  Love it...  Yep ... I'm emotional over this one folks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufM9cICV_g

I saw a concert on tv he did with his family as back up. His son was feeding him the lyrics. But Glenn, ever the performer, kept a smile on his face and his voice sounded true.

I'm emotional about it as well.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1247 on: August 12, 2017, 01:54:37 pm »
World's oldest man, Auschwitz survivor Yisrael Kristal dies
    11 August 2017

The world's oldest man - the only member of his immediate family to survive the Holocaust - has died at the age of 113.

Polish-born Yisrael Kristal died on Friday, a month before he was due to turn 114, Israeli media reported.

Mr Kristal, who lived in Haifa, Israel, hit the headlines last year after deciding to celebrate his bar mitzvah a century late.

The original celebration had not taken place because World War One broke out.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40904907

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1248 on: August 13, 2017, 03:14:07 am »

The world's oldest man - the only member of his immediate family to survive the Holocaust - has died at the age of 113.

Polish-born Yisrael Kristal died on Friday, a month before he was due to turn 114, Israeli media reported.

Mr Kristal, who lived in Haifa, Israel, hit the headlines last year after deciding to celebrate his bar mitzvah a century late.

The original celebration had not taken place because World War One broke out.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40904907

@TomSea

He WAS the Worlds Oldest Man yesterday.

Today it's someone else.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1249 on: August 13, 2017, 02:02:19 pm »
Blanche Blackwell, mistress and muse of James Bond's creator, dies at 104
By Matt Schudel The Washington Post 17 hrs ago

Fascinating... http://www.roanoke.com/news/blanche-blackwell-mistress-and-muse-of-james-bond-s-creator/article_92d89725-1768-5ea9-8945-6c2381bb0a19.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn