Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209833 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1200 on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:21 am »
@Freya
The songs we've been talking about are almost enough to forgive him for "MacArthur's Park!" ;)
MacArthur Park...not MacArthur's Park.  Supposedly, Jimmy Webb went to Ireland to rehearse the song with Richard  Harris. No matter how many times they rehearsed it, Harris kept on saying "MacArthur's Park" instead of "MacArthur Park" which is the real name of the park.  It's also the name of the song on the record.
Webb finally gave up and allowed the song to go with Harris singing "MacArthur's Park."
By the way, it's one of my favorite songs although millions of people like you hate it...including my wife who threatens to brain me everytime I turn the volume up when it comes on the car radio.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1201 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:47 am »
MacArthur Park...not MacArthur's Park.  Supposedly, Jimmy Webb went to Ireland to rehearse the song with Richard  Harris. No matter how many times they rehearsed it, Harris kept on saying "MacArthur's Park" instead of "MacArthur Park" which is the real name of the park.  It's also the name of the song on the record.
Webb finally gave up and allowed the song to go with Harris singing "MacArthur's Park."
By the way, it's one of my favorite songs although millions of people like you hate it...including my wife who threatens to brain me everytime I turn the volume up when it comes on the car radio.

It's an incredibly complex song. Lots of chords. I'm learning how to play guitar and that's a song I don't think I'd want to tackle
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1202 on: August 09, 2017, 01:44:21 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_o7aSjl_E

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1203 on: August 09, 2017, 01:50:32 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1204 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:07 am »
It's an incredibly complex song. Lots of chords. I'm learning how to play guitar and that's a song I don't think I'd want to tackle
I used to have the piano sheet music. It's very fun to play, notwithstanding the fact that I really can't stand the song itself.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1205 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:29 am »
I've been playing guitar for more than forty years.  The chords I see in the songbooks with the song are almost impossible. I won't even try even though I love the third ryhthmic part.

debrawiest

« Reply #1206 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:04 pm »
Quite by accident my 1st Glen Campbell 45 I ever bought was "Wichita Lineman" 

I thought it was a football song.  Turns out it was a pretty good little song.  I kept it.

"And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time."

Haunting lyrics sung to perfection. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1207 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1208 on: August 09, 2017, 03:27:45 pm »
Either I am stupid,or that is the stupidest damn song I have ever heard.
:shrug: Apparently it refers to his fading memory.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1209 on: August 09, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »

I thought its meaning was quite clear.

And sad......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1210 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:55 pm »

@mountaineer

Thanks,I didn't pick up on that,but even then it's still a stupid self-centered song that is him basically getting in his wife's face and saying she no longer matters.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1211 on: August 09, 2017, 04:50:58 pm »
@mountaineer

Thanks,I didn't pick up on that,but even then it's still a stupid self-centered song that is him basically getting in his wife's face and saying she no longer matters.
This is what Julian Raymond, who co-wrote the song, says about its origin:

[Campbell] had a hard day of people asking him about Alzheimer's and how he felt about it. He didn't talk too
much about it, but came up to me and said, 'I don’t know what everybody's worried about. It's not like I’m going
to miss anyone, anyway.' The song by design is simple. I knew we couldn’t do something like "Wichita
Lineman" that had complicated key changes or bigger-range stuff.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Wingnut

« Reply #1212 on: August 09, 2017, 05:08:34 pm »

I thought its meaning was quite clear.

And sad......

The minute I saw the title and also knowing he had alzheimer's....  I knew exactlywhat he meant.  In fact it reminded me of the joke on the subject.
What's the best thing about living with alzheimer's? You get to meet new people everyday.

Any other interpretation of it is pure bunk and should be ridiculed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1213 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »
This is what Julian Raymond, who co-wrote the song, says about its origin:

[Campbell] had a hard day of people asking him about Alzheimer's and how he felt about it. He didn't talk too
much about it, but came up to me and said, 'I don’t know what everybody's worried about. It's not like I’m going
to miss anyone, anyway.' The song by design is simple. I knew we couldn’t do something like "Wichita
Lineman" that had complicated key changes or bigger-range stuff.

@EasyAce

Once again,the selfish "Me,ME,ME,DAMMIT!" attitude. Just because HE won't suffer doesn't mean those who love him won't suffer.

I may be/probably am wrong on this,but it is how I see it.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1214 on: August 09, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
For what it's worth -- an interview of Alice Cooper regarding Glen Campbell.  Alice and Glen were good friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6q2hsdXenQ

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1215 on: August 09, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »
@EasyAce

Once again,the selfish "Me,ME,ME,DAMMIT!" attitude. Just because HE won't suffer doesn't mean those who love him won't suffer.

I may be/probably am wrong on this,but it is how I see it.
My paternal grandmother spent the last decade of her life with Alzheimer's. (She died in 2002). Everything I saw,
everything I was told otherwise when I didn't talk to her, told me an Alzheimer's patient is trapped in a world where
he or she are both the center of that world and a lost soul in it. And they suffer accordingly, just as those who love
them suffer over it. It's not a "selfish" attitude, it's the attitude of a genuinely diseased mind robbing a person of
self and compelling that person to fight the robber, ever more futilely, even as the disease strips them of their
knowledge of those they've known and loved for decades to the point where they see even those people as perfect
strangers interfering in their lives. It's an insidious disease, for its victims and for those who love them alike.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:47:49 pm by EasyAce »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1216 on: August 09, 2017, 05:51:24 pm »
For what it's worth -- an interview of Alice Cooper regarding Glen Campbell.  Alice and Glen were good friends:

Great piece. I had forgot - and Alice is right - Campbell was an insanely good guitar player. One of the best ever.

I've also come to respect Cooper and his music in later years. His songs are solid. Even the younglings like him.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #1217 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:46 pm »

I enjoyed that.

This is good too.  His last tour. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqRXOPJzgdY&ab_channel=CBSSundayMorning

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1218 on: August 09, 2017, 08:57:42 pm »
an Alzheimer's patient is trapped in a world where
he or she are both the center of that world and a lost soul in it. And they suffer accordingly, just as those who love
them suffer over it.
The sad thing is that we don't know how much - or whom - Alzheimers patients actually remember, because they can't express it. My grandmother and father had dementia (different varieties, as my grandmother died at 93 and my father at 69). Late in the process, my father remembered my mother and said, "I love you, sweetie." My grandmother spoke of things that had happened when she was a child. But the rest of us couldn't just ask what they remembered and get a coherent response. You're right, it's horrible. I feel sorry for Glen, because I know he suffered, but even more for his family.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1219 on: August 09, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
The sad thing is that we don't know how much - or whom - Alzheimers patients actually remember, because they can't express it. My grandmother and father had dementia (different varieties, as my grandmother died at 93 and my father at 69). Late in the process, my father remembered my mother and said, "I love you, sweetie." My grandmother spoke of things that had happened when she was a child. But the rest of us couldn't just ask what they remembered and get a coherent response. You're right, it's horrible. I feel sorry for Glen, because I know he suffered, but even more for his family.
I had a friend, a few years back. He had fairly rapidly advancing Alzheimer's. He was mostly a happy upbeat guy.

But I was seriously injured, arm in a sling. Twice in one hour, he slugged me in that arm.....as if the sling was not there.

I was unable at the time, to deal with it, so I let him go. He died within a few months. I still feel bad, that I didn't know how to handle it.

My mother is 92.5 and in fairly good physical health. But she is uneven, mentally. Remembers the distant past, better than yesterday. She is stuck on a few items.

For example, at a big get-together around the table, she will repetitively inform guests about me: "...you know, he is my first." As if my guests don't all know that.

She is a cable news junkie. My sister explains to her that CNN, repeats every hour or so. But the old gal insists, no it is "new."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1220 on: August 09, 2017, 11:08:17 pm »

The minute I saw the title and also knowing he had alzheimer's....  I knew exactlywhat he meant.  In fact it reminded me of the joke on the subject.
What's the best thing about living with alzheimer's? You get to meet new people everyday.

Any other interpretation of it is pure bunk and should be ridiculed.

Completely agree.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1221 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:13 pm »
My paternal grandmother spent the last decade of her life with Alzheimer's. (She died in 2002). Everything I saw,
everything I was told otherwise when I didn't talk to her, told me an Alzheimer's patient is trapped in a world where
them suffer over it. It's not a "selfish" attitude, it's the attitude of a genuinely diseased mind robbing a person of
self and compelling that person to fight the robber, ever more futilely, even as the disease strips them of their
knowledge of those they've known and loved for decades to the point where they see even those people as perfect
strangers interfering in their lives. It's an insidious disease, for its victims and for those who love them alike.

Thank you for that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1222 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:49 pm »
@mountaineer

No.  Not the point of the song at all; with Alzheimer 'victim's' they don't remember people whom they are close to ... she mattered to him and he loved her deeply; the disease caused him to forget her; her face being the last face he remembered and because he doesn't remember, he'll never know what his wife is going through as she loses him to Alzheimer's.

Very sad.  Watch the video of his last days of touring.  I've watched it twice and I cried through the whole thing.  It will make you appreciate how tremendously, incredibly talented Campbell was and even though the disease had taken hold, his music was one part of the brain that was amazingly still functioning.  From my understanding, music utilizes a different part of the brain.  For Glen Campbell, that part of the brain was so developed because of his tremendous musical talent, that it was the very last part of the brain that was consumed by Alzheimer's.

Lyrics - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone
I don't play guitar or sing my songs
They never defined who I am
The man that loves you 'til the end

You're the last person I will love
You're the last face I will recall
And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you
Not gonna miss you

I'm never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You're never gonna see it in my eyes
It's not gonna hurt me when you cry

I'm never gonna know what you go through
All the things I say or do
All the hurt and all the pain
One thing selfishly remains

I'm not gonna miss you
I'm not gonna miss you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6Vjzq8dAk
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:23:44 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1223 on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:49 pm »
Session Men offline: Glen Campbell & The Wrecking Crew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-FfwwXRDg&ab_channel=TheProductionCompanyUSA

It wasn't until I had watched the "I'll Be Me" documentary that I realized he was part of the "Wrecking Crew" ... he had tremendous natural born talent; and he played many instruments.  I was very moved by the documentary and hope it is the beginning in finding a cure for Alzheimer's.  It robs so many people of their lives and affects family members so adversely, so sad.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1224 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:21 pm »
No.  Not the point of the song at all; with Alzheimer 'victim's' they don't remember people whom they are close to ...

Correct. My sister looks after our mother, 92 yrs of age, and gradually slipping away..

She said within the last year, she has trouble remembering our father, husband of 49 years and father of her five children.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln