Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209925 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1125 on: July 30, 2017, 02:31:29 am »
I could backtime like a pro.  Hated "stepping" on the lyrics!

Oh, yeah.  Cold, cold ending, landing right on a network feed.  Like a boss!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1126 on: July 30, 2017, 02:57:27 am »
Was it really not covered here yet? One of the Little Rascals passed away, leaving 5 remaining.

Our Gang/Little Rascals were discussed one time; and more expert-types insist the early show was a much better version.

Anyway, back to the subject, Leonard Landy passed away:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/obituaries-people-news/leonard-landy-died-dead-our-gang-little-rascals-1202508793/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1127 on: July 30, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »
Oh no! Oh no! She was, the best female in the voice over business ever! I'm really really bummed about this. She was a legend.

RIP. And thank you, for all the marvelous voices. I'm really going to miss you.
@Freya
I found out that another voice actress died the same day: Patti Deutsch.  In addition to Match Game way back when, she worked on The Smurfs, Monsters, Inc., and The Emperor's New Groove.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #1128 on: July 30, 2017, 04:43:48 pm »
Oh, yeah.  Cold, cold ending, landing right on a network feed.  Like a boss!

LOL.  Cool as a cucumber!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1129 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:22 pm »
LOL.  Cool as a cucumber!

Picture ELO Don't Bring Me Down ending right on the open of an ABC news feed.  That cold.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1130 on: July 30, 2017, 05:18:28 pm »
@TomSea

The Little Rascals probably mean nothing to the present generation.  June Foray's passing barely merited a short paragraph in my local paper. 

Rest in peace, Leonard Landy.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1131 on: July 30, 2017, 05:35:55 pm »
@Freya
I found out that another voice actress died the same day: Patti Deutsch.  In addition to Match Game way back when, she worked on The Smurfs, Monsters, Inc., and The Emperor's New Groove.
She was funny, I think I first saw her on Laugh In, which a retro channel Decades still runs twice a day during the week.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1132 on: July 30, 2017, 05:56:56 pm »
@Freya

I remember her on the Match Game. I think she was Smurfette?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1133 on: July 30, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »
I remember her on the Match Game. I think she was Smurfette?
She was indeed Smurfette---which got her a chance to work with the late great June Foray,
who voiced Jokey Smurf!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #1134 on: July 30, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
This was funny.  Some not so PC comments.  Out takes with June, Bill Conrad, Paul Freesand Bill Scot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUDzuGECfdQ

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1135 on: July 30, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
Lee May (baseball obituary)

One of the most feared hitters of his generation, Lee May is one of only 11 major leaguers to have 100-RBI seasons for three different teams. He also had 11 consecutive seasons (1968-1978) of at least 20 home runs and 80 RBIs. In an 18-year major-league career, the “Big Bopper of Birmingham” played for the Cincinnati Reds, Houston Astros, Baltimore Orioles, and Kansas City Royals. A three-time All-Star (1969, 1971, and 1972), he appeared in the postseason three times, including the 1970 World Series for the Reds and the 1979 Series for the Orioles. (The third was a Division Series in 1981 when he was with the Royals.)

May was a solid first baseman defensively (.994 career fielding percentage), but also struck out often (100 or more in ten seasons). What he was really known for, however, was his power. He slammed 354 home runs and drove in 1,244 runs the major leagues. He freely admitted, “I deliberately try to hit a home run every time up. That is what they pay me for.”1 Still, despite his power numbers, he lacks some recognition and, as sportswriter Jim Murray once wrote, “played in the undeserved obscurity of a bullpen catcher.”2

Lee Andrew May was born on March 23, 1943, in Birmingham, Alabama...

Lee May died on July 29, 2017.

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1136 on: July 31, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: Oscar-nominated actor, director and playwright Sam Shepard dies, aged 73, surrounded by his family at home in Kentucky after battling ALS

Sam Shepard passed away on July 30 at his home in Kentucky aged 73
    Shepard had been ill with ALS for sometime and was surrounded by his children and sisters at the time of his death
    He is the author of 44 plays as well as several books of short stories, essays and memoirs
    He received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1979 for his play Buried Child
    Shepard was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1983's The Right Stuff for his portrayal of pilot Chuck Yeager

By Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:12 EDT, 31 July 2017 | Updated: 11:23 EDT, 31 July 2017

Full story
---------------------
More at NYT:
... One of the most important and influential early writers in the Off Broadway movement, Mr. Shepard captured and chronicled the darker sides of American family life in plays like “Buried Child,” which won the Pulitzer Prize for drama in 1979, and “Curse of the Starving Class” and “A Lie of the Mind.”

He was widely regarded as one of the most original voices of his generation, winning praise from critics for his searing portraits of spouses, siblings and lovers struggling with issues of identity, failure and the fleeting nature of the American dream. He was nominated for two other Pulitzers, for “True West” and “Fool for Love,” which both received Broadway productions.

Mr. Shepard was also an accomplished actor, nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in “The Right Stuff.” His most recent work was in the Netflix show “Bloodline,” where he appeared as the character of Robert Rayburn. He also appeared on New York stages, winning strong reviews for his performance in the Off Broadway production of Caryl Churchill’s “A Number” in 2004.  ...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:45:30 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1137 on: July 31, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
Jeanne Moreau: French screen icon and star of Jules et Jim, dies at 89
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40774985
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1138 on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »
@Freya
Comedienne, voice actress and game show panelist Patti Deutsch dies at 73

As a member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy troupe, Deutsch got her big break on Tom Jones's variety show in 1969, then moved on to one season with Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and several years as a regular panelist on the hit game shows Tattletales and the Match Game. She had a career renaissance in the late 1990s and into the 2000s as a voice actress.

Deutsch died of an unspecified form of cancer July 26.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1139 on: July 31, 2017, 05:01:38 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: Oscar-nominated actor, director and playwright Sam Shepard dies, aged 73, surrounded by his family at home in Kentucky after battling ALS

Shepard had been ill with ALS for sometime and was surrounded by his children and sisters at the time of his death
    He is the author of 44 plays as well as several books of short stories, essays and memoirs
    Shepard was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1983's The Right Stuff for his portrayal of pilot Chuck Yeager

By Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:12 EDT, 31 July 2017 | Updated: 11:23 EDT, 31 July 2017

Full story
---------------------
More at NYT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgR-KadhgMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4eE_eOUwyQ

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1140 on: July 31, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »

@mountaineer

Ok,that was a life well-lived,regardless of your standards.

Well done,Sam!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Wingnut

« Reply #1141 on: July 31, 2017, 05:36:44 pm »
Comedienne, voice actress and game show panelist Patti Deutsch dies at 73

As a member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy troupe, Deutsch got her big break on Tom Jones's variety show in 1969, then moved on to one season with Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and several years as a regular panelist on the hit game shows Tattletales and the Match Game. She had a career renaissance in the late 1990s and into the 2000s as a voice actress.

Deutsch died of an unspecified form of cancer July 26.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB

She had nice "Upper Frontals"!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1142 on: August 02, 2017, 01:24:26 pm »
Ara Parseghian, college football coaching legend, dies at 94

Parseghian had a brief stint as a running back in the NFL before turning his sights on coaching, beginning his career at his alma mater Miami of Ohio, then going to Northwestern University.

From 1964 to 1974, Parseghian served as head coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, where he compiled a record of 95-17-4, never having a losing season, and earned two national championships (1966 and 1973). Health problems forced him to abandon the post, and he spent much of the rest of his career as a broadcaster.

Parseghian is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He died from complications of a hip infection.

Obituary from ABC's affiliate in South Bend

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1143 on: August 02, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
Ara Parseghian, college football coaching legend, dies at 94

Parseghian had a brief stint as a running back in the NFL before turning his sights on coaching, beginning his career at his alma mater Miami of Ohio, then going to Northwestern University.

From 1964 to 1974, Parseghian served as head coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, where he compiled a record of 95-17-4, never having a losing season, and earned two national championships (1966 and 1973). Health problems forced him to abandon the post, and he spent much of the rest of his career as a broadcaster.

Parseghian is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He died from complications of a hip infection.

Obituary from ABC's affiliate in South Bend

Wikipedia
I remember when Parseghian took over ND and revived the program. His image was tarnished somewhat by the 1966 Mich. St game (game of the century) where he didn't go for a win in the last minutes and settled for a tie. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1144 on: August 02, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »
I don't remember much about Ara Parseghian's coaching career, but I do remember once watching a football game with my Dad where Parseghian was the "color commentator."  Seemed that Parseghian couldn't stop praising every player on both teams.  No matter whether the player was exceptional or riding the bench, Parseghian had something complimentary to say about him  It was either something like "he's the greatest quarterback in the league" or if the player was lousy, "he loves dogs and children."  After about the 9,000 time Parseghian praised some bum on one of the teams, my normally unflappable father jumped out of his lounge chair, shouted some naughty words at the TV which I won't repeat here, and stormed out of the room. 

Anyway, may Ara Parseghian rest in peace. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1145 on: August 02, 2017, 03:24:45 pm »
I remember when Parseghian took over ND and revived the program. His image was tarnished somewhat by the 1966 Mich. St game (game of the century) where he didn't go for a win in the last minutes and settled for a tie.
You wonder what Parseghian thought when Nebraska coach Tom Osborne went for the win instead of the tie
in the 1984 Orange Bowl by calling for a two-point conversion that was foiled when Miami tipped Turner Gill's
pass away in the end zone and the Cornhuskers lost both the game and the national championship.

The calls for Osborne's head in Nebraska (I was there, serving in the Air Force at Offutt Air Force Base at the
time) didn't let up for months. When someone on base finally asked me what I thought---and he even said, "Forget
my rank" (he was a lieutenant colonel and we were in uniform) and just be honest, I laid it out cold: "The guy
tried to win the game and these jerks want to crucify him? I'd recommend beating them senseless but
you can't beat people into the condition they're already in." I learned later that light colonel went around
repeating my comment and getting big laughs out of it while saying I had a huge point.

Between that and stories I heard such as the Oklahoma University president (I forget his name) who once
told Playboy (for their football preview) that goddammit he wanted a university his football team could
be proud of, or the Texas high school (I forget which now) whose football coach finally required police
protection because he couldn't shake a losing season after several consecutive winning ones, I got turned
off school football forever, and I was already getting sick of the NFL as it was.

RIP Mr. Parseghian. I still remember the 1973 Sugar Bowl triumph and the way Notre Dame made it stick
after Bob Thomas planted a 19-yard field goal to put the Irish up by a point with four minutes left in the
game.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1146 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:52 pm »
Jim Marrs, one of the top 2 JFK conspiracy theorists imho, has passed away.  I'd say the other major one was Mark Lane. The movie JFK may have been largely based on what these two said.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Jim-Marrs-JFK-conspiracy-theory-dead-at-73-11731000.php

Offline EasyAce

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1148 on: August 03, 2017, 08:29:43 pm »
The first album I ever bought (with babysitting money) was Steppenwolf Gold.  Still have it as a matter of fact.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #1149 on: August 03, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »
Cornelius Fudge died.

We don't send people to Azkaban for blowing up their aunt.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40818839
Countdown to Resignation