Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209979 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #875 on: June 01, 2017, 11:36:20 pm »
Elena Verdugo, Emmy-Nominated Actress on 'Marcus Welby, M.D.,' Dies at 92
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Wow.  92!!

Maybe the greatest name in show biz.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #876 on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »
Wow.  92!!

@musiclady

Among us old-time radio buffs, Elena Verdugo is iconic for playing this title character:

Meet Millie

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #877 on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:37 pm »
Wow.  92!!

Let's be honest. She did work for a couple of Doctors. She had an inside track to the best care. That's why she made it to 92.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #878 on: June 02, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
Sad news: Eminent conductor collapses and dies (Sir Jeffrey Tate)

The management agency for Sir Jeffrey Tate has confirmed his death, this afternoon, at the age of 74. The eminent British conductor suffered a heart attack while visiting the Accademia Carrara in Bergamo, Italy, and could not be revived.

Sir Jeffrey Tate, who was 74, was knighted six weeks ago for services to music.
More

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:01:13 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #879 on: June 02, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
@musiclady

Among us old-time radio buffs, Elena Verdugo is iconic for playing this title character:

Meet Millie

I don't know a whole lot about radio other than Nelson Eddy broadcasts and "The Shadow."

But I DO know that our own @Frank Cannon was the voice of the Lone Ranger.....

Or something like that.  :dx1:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #880 on: June 02, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
Let's be honest. She did work for a couple of Doctors. She had an inside track to the best care. That's why she made it to 92.

Nothing like having Jim Anderson giving you medical advice, right??

I mean he DOES know best.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #881 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:12 pm »
I don't know a whole lot about radio other than Nelson Eddy broadcasts and "The Shadow."

But I DO know that our own @Frank Cannon was the voice of the Lone Ranger.....

Or something like that.  :dx1:
Not even close . . .

Gunsmoke
(The radio original leaves the television version eating a tumbleweed's dust!)

I'm that man---Matt Dillon, U.S. Marshal. The first man they look for and the last they want
to meet. It's a chancy job, and it makes a man watchful---and a little lonely
---William Conrad's usual introduction on a Gunsmoke radio show.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:28:33 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #882 on: June 03, 2017, 12:47:54 am »
SiriusXM has Radio Classics and they play Gunsmoke episodes fairly frequently. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #883 on: June 03, 2017, 12:56:48 am »
:thumbsup2:

I have a collection of over fifteen thousand old-time radio shows, including every surviving
Gunsmoke---414 shows.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #884 on: June 03, 2017, 02:57:36 am »
Not even close . . .

Gunsmoke
(The radio original leaves the television version eating a tumbleweed's dust!)

I'm that man---Matt Dillon, U.S. Marshal. The first man they look for and the last they want
to meet. It's a chancy job, and it makes a man watchful---and a little lonely
---William Conrad's usual introduction on a Gunsmoke radio show.

Ah....... I knew Conrad was the voice of one of those cowboy hero types.  I always thought it was funny because I couldn't imagine a portly fellow riding a horse.

Conrad also was the narrator for TV's The Fugitive.

Great voice that guy had......

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #885 on: June 03, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »
Wetsuit pioneer Jack O'Neill dies at age 94
By Amy R. Connolly   |   June 3, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Jack O'Neill, who pioneered a wetsuit that helped popularize cold-water surfing, died at age 94 of natural causes at his California home. Pictured: Ken Collins rides a wave in the first heat of the Mavericks Invitational surf contest at Half Moon Bay, Calif. on January 24, 2014. South African Grant "Twiggy" Baker won the competition. Photo by Terry Schmitt/UP | License Photo

June 3 (UPI) -- Jack O'Neill, who pioneered a wetsuit that helped popularize cold-water surfing and built a massive surfing enterprise, died at age 94 of natural causes at his California home.

O'Neill, noted for his eye patch, opened the possibility of surfing in Central and Northern California's cold waters with neoprene wetsuits after he started experimenting in the 1950s. Surfers at the time had been using sweaters covered in water sealant and other articles of clothing in the frigid waters.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/03/Wetsuit-pioneer-Jack-ONeill-dies-at-age-94/7181496485300/

Offline skeeter

« Reply #886 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:50 pm »
Wetsuit pioneer Jack O'Neill dies at age 94
By Amy R. Connolly   |   June 3, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Jack O'Neill, who pioneered a wetsuit that helped popularize cold-water surfing, died at age 94 of natural causes at his California home. Pictured: Ken Collins rides a wave in the first heat of the Mavericks Invitational surf contest at Half Moon Bay, Calif. on January 24, 2014. South African Grant "Twiggy" Baker won the competition. Photo by Terry Schmitt/UP | License Photo

June 3 (UPI) -- Jack O'Neill, who pioneered a wetsuit that helped popularize cold-water surfing and built a massive surfing enterprise, died at age 94 of natural causes at his California home.

O'Neill, noted for his eye patch, opened the possibility of surfing in Central and Northern California's cold waters with neoprene wetsuits after he started experimenting in the 1950s. Surfers at the time had been using sweaters covered in water sealant and other articles of clothing in the frigid waters.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/03/Wetsuit-pioneer-Jack-ONeill-dies-at-age-94/7181496485300/

Inventor of the wetsuit and the board leash.

Used to see him back in the early 80's out on his longboard in front of his place on 38th ave in Soquel. Never said much and was always alone.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #887 on: June 03, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »

You have to listen to the old Dragnets. My favorite.

@Sanguine
@EasyAce
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:53:58 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #888 on: June 03, 2017, 05:25:27 pm »
You have to listen to the old Dragnets. My favorite.

@Sanguine
@EasyAce
@Freya
The entire radio run of Dragnet is in my collection. The only better crime dramas I ever heard
among my old-time radio collection were The Whistler and Broadway is My Beat.

I also have complete surviving sets of:

The Jack Benny Program
Fred Allen (almost two hundred of his shows have survived, including the classics Town Hall Tonight
and Texaco Star Theater)
Fibber McGee & Molly
Our Miss Brooks
The CBS Radio Workshop
Easy Aces (about three hundred of this classic serial comedy---the episodes Goodman Ace once shrewdly
sold to Frederick Ziv, who syndicated them so successfully the Aces made more money on that than they did
when they actually did the show live from 1930-43)
Vic & Sade
Burns & Allen
Lux Radio Theater
CBS World News Today (a treasure chest of World War II reporting)
Suspense
Quiet, Please
The Old Gold Comedy Theater (ran one season, hosted by silent screen legend Harold Lloyd)
Fort Laramie (not to be confused with the later television western Laramie; ran one season
and starred a pre-Perry Mason Raymond Burr)
The Six Shooter (ran one season but was probably the second most intelligent radio Western
of all---and starred James Stewart in the title role)
The Green Hornet
The Great Gildersleeve (inventor of the spin-off show, starred Harold Peary taking his Fibber
McGee & Molly
role out of town and as, arguably, broadcasting's first kind-of "bachelor father"
raising his orphaned niece and nephew while running their town's water department)
The Halls of Ivy (Ronald Colman and his wife Benita as a college president and first lady of a sort)
The Henry Morgan Show (Morgan was probably the edgiest radio comedian of them all)
The Bickersons (with and without their parent show Drene Time; the great-grandparents of
such paragons of domestic blitz as The Honeymooners, All in the Family, and Married . . .
with Children
)

. . . among others . . .

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #889 on: June 03, 2017, 08:51:50 pm »
@Freya

..@EasyAce  @Freya 

then great-grandparents of
such paragons of domestic blitz as The Honeymooners, All in the Family, and Married . . .
with Children
)

. . . among others . . .

I may be the only one on the planet that thinks this,but The Honeymooners sucked all the air right off the planet. Ralph was a arrogant fool that was a wife abuser and general all-around loser with not ONE redeeming quality,his wife Alice had a whine so severe she deserved Ralph,and WW-2 film reels of Dachau made it appear to be a warm and friendly place compared to Ralph's bare apartment.

Absolutely hated "I Love Lucy",too. Ricky should have strangled that bitch in her sleep. Who the hell would want to live with a woman with the personality of a spoiled 8 year old?

Amos and Andy was hilarious,though. De Kingfish was as pompous as Ralph,but a MUCH nicer guy. It might have happened,but I don't recall ever seeing and hearing any of the main characters on Amos and Andy screaming at each other or promising to kill ("send you to the moon!"),either.

I also have to admit that I just never "got" Gleason in anything else he ever did,either. Red Skelton was hilarious, Groucho Marx (think maybe the Russians lost the draw on who got what sets of "Reds" and "Marxes"?) took it a step or two further than that. Then there was Johnathan Winters who came along slightly later and he was a comedy monster.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:53:06 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #890 on: June 03, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
I may be the only one on the planet that thinks this,but The Honeymooners sucked all the air right off the planet. Ralph was a arrogant fool that was a wife abuser and general all-around loser with not ONE redeeming quality,his wife Alice had a whine so severe she deserved Ralph,and WW-2 film reels of Dachau made it appear to be a warm and friendly place compared to Ralph's bare apartment.

Absolutely hated "I Love Lucy",too. Ricky should have strangled that bitch in her sleep. Who the hell would want to live with a woman with the personality of a spoiled 8 year old?

Amos and Andy was hilarious,though. De Kingfish was as pompous as Ralph,but a MUCH nicer guy. It might have happened,but I don't recall ever seeing and hearing any of the main characters on Amos and Andy screaming at each other or promising to kill ("send you to the moon!"),either.

I also have to admit that I just never "got" Gleason in anything else he ever did,either. Red Skelton was hilarious, Groucho Marx (think maybe the Russians lost the draw on who got what sets of "Reds" and "Marxes"?) took it a step or two further than that. Then there was Johnathan Winters who came along slightly later and he was a comedy monster.

Ahhhh.  Jonathon Winters.  There were giants in those days.  One of the funniest people to have walked the Earth.  Pat Paulsen.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #891 on: June 03, 2017, 09:39:18 pm »
Red Skelton was made for television; hell, his best bits were the silent "Freddie the Freeloader" sketches, just like Jackie Gleason's
best sketches were the silent "Poor Soul" sketches. His radio show, you just knew something was missing---unless you were in the
studio audience, you couldn't see him.

Which is a shame, because I once read (in John Dunning's On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio) that tickets for
the Skelton radio show were one of the hottest tickets in Hollywood not because of the radio show itself but because of Skelton's
after-show: he was too nervous to do a warmup before air time, as many radio comedians did (a lot of the warmups from Phil
Harris, before performing The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show, have survived), so he'd do the show and then be so wired up
the kazoo from it that he kept his studio audience aboard and did an after-show for them. The after-show was considered so
hilarious---with Skelton going into visuals of his characters, as he'd do on television---that people were often turned away for
tickets. There were those who were lucky enough to be there who swore Skelton's after-show was twenty times as funny as the
actual on-air radio show.

Skelton had a wounding flaw: he absolutely couldn't bear to give credit to anyone, even those who created some of his most
memorably characters for him.

Red never gave credit to anyone. Noncredit never bothered me---I've given away credit so people could get
into the Writers Guild. It was not just Skelton's neglect of writers but his attacks on them. On talk shows he would
always say how useless they were. He never understood the philosophy behind a show.
---Sherwood Schwartz,
who wrote for Skelton in radio and on television.

It could have been worse, though. It could have been Eddie Cantor, who habitually re-wrote scripts to give himself
the biggest laugh-getters---even if they weren't suited for his character (and were liable to bomb on the air as a
result), and who refused to listen when his writers tried to tell him that his long-running gags about his five
unmarriageable daughters were deeply hurt by the gags, which went on long after the ladies did marry. (Not
to mention his long-running on-air devotion to wife Ida---all the while he was having a long-term affair with
comedienne Joan Davis.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:41:47 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #892 on: June 03, 2017, 10:42:58 pm »
Ahhhh.  Jonathon Winters.  There were giants in those days.  One of the funniest people to have walked the Earth.  Pat Paulsen.

Nobody could break a scene like Tim Conway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #893 on: June 03, 2017, 10:54:47 pm »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #894 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
There are giants these days.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #895 on: June 04, 2017, 06:25:29 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY

@Cripplecreek

Ahhh,the Carol Burnette Show. Clearly one of the funniest comedies to ever exist anywhere. Maybe even THE best. Great writers and great comedians with perfect timing.

And that elephant scene has probably caused more people to wet their pants than anything shown on tv.  I laughed so hard I lost my breath for a instant.

Which reminds me of the last time I lost my breath laughing. Some DJ was playing a skit by Larry the Cable Guy on the radio,and I really wasn't paying that much attention. It was kinda "Background noise to drive to". Anyhow,it involved him taking his grandmother to Bass Sports to buy some sort of forgotten sporting gear. His granny is kind of eccentric,and insisted on wearing her nightgown to the shop. Like I said I wasn't paying that much attention to the set up,but when Larry got to the punch line and said  it was so hot in the place that his granny was arrested for suspicion of shoplifting Deer Lure,I lost my breath and control of my truck. That was totally unexpected. For those of you who don't know,deer lure is made from the urine of female deer in heat,and it is NOT perfume. Generally speaking,smelling it would gag a skunk.

It took me a long time to get it together enough to get back on the road,and even then I had to pull over for a few mintues to catch my breath again because I would get to remembering it and lose control again.

I tried to tell a couple of friends of mine about it a couple of days later,and still couldn't get it out after a half-dozen or more tries. I'm get started and lose all control again due to laughter. Since I have COPD,losing my breath is not a good thing.

I'm a big fan of Ron White,too. First time I ever heard of him was when a friend of mine called me long distance to tell me somebody had stolen my sense of humor and material.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:39:51 am by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #896 on: June 04, 2017, 06:49:30 am »
Deer lure? That's funny, right there, I don't care who you are...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #897 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:49 pm »
We're huge Ron White fans, too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #898 on: June 04, 2017, 01:44:10 pm »
Tim Conway was always hysterical: a true master of timing, physical comedy, and improvisation. Along with Harvey Korman and Carol Burnett, their work together was truly legendary, and clearly still funny today; it is not dated in the least.

Those of us who were lucky enough to grow up during those days did not suffer from having only four or five TV channels (on a good day), because we got to see the likes of Jonathan Winters, Red Skelton, Jackie Mason, Bob Newhart, Don Rickles, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks and Buddy Hackett.

The majority of today's comedians, stand-up and otherwise, aren't all that funny, in my view. I find them insulting, gross, scatalogical, and often, politically stupid. There are exceptions, Ron White, Dave Attell, and perhaps a small handful of others.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #899 on: June 04, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »
Tim Conway was always hysterical: a true master of timing, physical comedy, and improvisation. Along with Harvey Korman and Carol Burnett, their work together was truly legendary, and clearly still funny today; it is not dated in the least.

Those of us who were lucky enough to grow up during those days did not suffer from having only four or five TV channels (on a good day), because we got to see the likes of Jonathan Winters, Red Skelton, Jackie Mason, Bob Newhart, Don Rickles, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks and Buddy Hackett.

@andy58-in-nh

Buddy Hackett,another one of the giants in the comedy field. Somehow or another,a tiny little mischievous 8 year old boy managed to hide in the body of a fat Jewish man. Look closely and you can see that little boy in his eyes when he is talking.

I think Buddy Hackett may have been Johnny Carson's favorite guest comedian. You never knew what Hackett would say,or even if it could get aired without being bleeped,but you damn sure knew it would be hysterical. I can smile just seeing his name in print.