Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209919 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #800 on: May 20, 2017, 02:29:02 am »
Chris Cornell was my favorite singer.  I've been listening to his music the last two days. He was a poet and wrote very dark lyrics. His wife is saying that he may have taken one or two more Ativan than usual, was slurring his words when they last spoke. He went to rehab in 2003 and was supposedly clean. Why the benzos? They are contraindicated in those who had problems with alcohol. He had three children that he leaves behind.  **nononono*

"Like A Stone"

On a cob web afternoon,
 In a room full of emptiness
 By a freeway I confess
 I was lost in the pages of a book full of death;
 Reading how we'll die alone.
 And if we're good we'll lay to rest,
 Anywhere we want to go.

Whether with Soundgarten, Audioslave or solo, his voice was exquisite and "no one sings like you anymore." RIP, Chris.

We haven't seen you much lately, @austingirl.  Glad to see you now!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #801 on: May 20, 2017, 04:00:09 am »
It doesn't kill the brain   It induces a seizure and like any other seizure it can take up to 24 hours for mental status to return to normal.   This is not for everyone but in the most refractory cases it can provide relief where little else has worked

I have a cousin who recently finished a round of electroshock therapy for depression.

We haven't been close because she's a militant lesbian and I think that may be a source of a lot of her problems. However having dealt with depression of my own for many years before beating it, my uncle has encouraged us to talk.

Like me she is an insomniac and is laying awake and being haunted by the sources of her pain. I embraced my insomnia and used it for positive creative time. I told her to find an interest outside the politics that upset her so much and throw herself into that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #802 on: May 20, 2017, 04:22:28 am »
Well, I know someone from Seattle, they play a lot of grunge up there.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #803 on: May 20, 2017, 04:42:53 am »
I love you @Mom MD and I respect you and admire you,but I humbly will disagree with you on this one topic and ask we can still be friends here.

I've never seen it work for anyone. If it has worked for someone, hurray. I. Believe Carrie Fisher said it helped her.

It's just I've never seen it work for anyone. 

I hope you still like me.

@Freya  @Mom MD

I had a good friend who was a psychiatrist (dual-boarded; also internal medicine) and I trust her word and judgment quite thoroughly.  She told me that even though ECT is a very violent and potentially damaging treatments, and as hesitant as she was to prescribe it, she had seen miraculous results at times.

She also thought that too often, broad-brush approaches are used in psychiatry these days, rather than using more targeted approaches.  She also suggested rTMS should be used more often.  It's too bad the USA (FDA) lags in approvals so far behind the modern world.

It's a dirty little secret that we still don't have answers in effectively treating everyone with depression.  But potential solutions are held up by our backwards system.  I'd love to see more work done with ketamine, for example, and other microdosing applications of psychoactives, as there's a lot of promise there, IMO.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #804 on: May 20, 2017, 04:21:32 pm »
We haven't seen you much lately, @austingirl.  Glad to see you now!

I took a break after the election. Glad to be back.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #805 on: May 20, 2017, 04:25:45 pm »

So you're smarter than me.  :tongue2:

Welcome back!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline austingirl

« Reply #806 on: May 20, 2017, 05:11:11 pm »

Welcome back!

Thanks!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #807 on: May 20, 2017, 09:25:24 pm »
According to article in today's Rolling Stone Magazine, Chris Cornell's wife blames anxiety medicine for her husbands death.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:25:55 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline austingirl

« Reply #808 on: May 20, 2017, 11:48:43 pm »
According to article in today's Rolling Stone Magazine, Chris Cornell's wife blames anxiety medicine for her husbands death.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179

That is why I asked why benzos in my post yesterday when he had a history of alcohol abuse. Why would he be anxious after a performance- I would think he would be exhausted. He was so talented and seemed very involved with his kids. Hard to understand why...so sad.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #809 on: May 20, 2017, 11:54:17 pm »
That is why I asked why benzos in my post yesterday when he had a history of alcohol abuse. Why would he be anxious after a performance- I would think he would be exhausted. He was so talented and seemed very involved with his kids. Hard to understand why...so sad.

Putting yourself out in front of a large audience has different effects on different people.  I used to do speeches for people, and people asked me how I got over the butterflies in the stomach.  I lived for those butterflies, I got off on them.  Like that.  Doesn't surprise me at all that's when he had anxiety.

Suicides make me sad.  I am a huge fan of Keith Emerson's music, for example, and he ended up shooting himself in the head.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #810 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:03 am »

What @EC said.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #811 on: May 21, 2017, 12:17:44 am »
Putting yourself out in front of a large audience has different effects on different people.  I used to do speeches for people, and people asked me how I got over the butterflies in the stomach.  I lived for those butterflies, I got off on them.  Like that.  Doesn't surprise me at all that's when he had anxiety.

Suicides make me sad.  I am a huge fan of Keith Emerson's music, for example, and he ended up shooting himself in the head.
Emerson apparently was driven to deeper depression than he already suffered when nerve damage in his right
arm affected his ability to play keyboards profoundly enough (despite a couple of surgeries) that he couldn't bear
it any longer, partly because (his girl friend has spoken of this) he couldn't bear letting his listeners down and
partly because giving up what was so deep a part of him proved intolerable.

Who knows what really wields what kind of impact upon a musician impaired?

The converse might be Charles Mingus. Stricken though he was with ALS, Mingus continued composing and
arranging, possibly because he'd long adopted a method whereby he wouldn't write a part down for
his musicians, he'd sing what he had in mind to them and let them take it from there. (When he was
stricken, he would do those things with new ideas and his wife would transcribe them.) Who knew that
technique would come to be the only way he could make music for the last few years of his life?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #812 on: May 21, 2017, 12:29:24 am »
Emerson apparently was driven to deeper depression than he already suffered when nerve damage in his right
arm affected his ability to play keyboards profoundly enough (despite a couple of surgeries) that he couldn't bear
it any longer, partly because (his girl friend has spoken of this) he couldn't bear letting his listeners down and
partly because giving up what was so deep a part of him proved intolerable.

Who knows what really wields what kind of impact upon a musician impaired?

The converse might be Charles Mingus. Stricken though he was with ALS, Mingus continued composing and
arranging, possibly because he'd long adopted a method whereby he wouldn't write a part down for
his musicians, he'd sing what he had in mind to them and let them take it from there. (When he was
stricken, he would do those things with new ideas and his wife would transcribe them.) Who knew that
technique would come to be the only way he could make music for the last few years of his life?

The Carpal damage and surgeries had robbed him of his gift.  I've heard the post-op recordings (See the "Three Fates Project" with the Keith Emerson Band) and they were just awful.  It made me so sad for him, and when I heard he killed himself I knew exactly why he did it.  Fans were writing him and asking him to please stop, it''s OK we know.  I never wrote, but I thought it, and his wife said that feedback is what he could not stand.

He was preparing for a farewell tour in Japan that he knew he could not execute.  I pray to God I am never faced with such a thing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #813 on: May 21, 2017, 12:35:33 am »
The Carpal damage and surgeries had robbed him of his gift.  I've heard the post-op recordings (See the "Three Fates Project" with the Keith Emerson Band) and they were just awful.  It made me so sad for him, and when I heard he killed himself I knew exactly why he did it.  Fans were writing him and asking him to please stop, it''s OK we know.  I never wrote, but I thought it, and his wife said that feedback is what he could not stand.

He was preparing for a farewell tour in Japan that he knew he could not execute.  I pray to God I am never faced with such a thing.

@Cyber Liberty

If you live long enough,you WILL face the equivalent. We ALL will. It is your punishment for not having more fun when you were younger.

Don't ask me how to explain why I'm still alive and moving under my own power. I damn sure made zero effort to take care of myself,yet here  I am,dealing with it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:36:17 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #814 on: May 21, 2017, 12:38:37 am »

To this day, this is my favourite performance by Keith Emerson . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwl0Et7RdlM

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #815 on: May 21, 2017, 01:00:40 am »
To this day, this is my favourite performance by Keith Emerson . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwl0Et7RdlM

He had all the talent, but just didn't like it much, especially the last third.

There's this tribute group in England, Noddy's Puncture, with a guy who's fantastic on the keyboard.  He was friends with Emerson, and learned a lot from him.  Check out the website and find some audio, he's really good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noddy%27s+puncture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #816 on: May 21, 2017, 01:04:04 am »
He had all the talent, but just didn't like it much, especially the last third.
I had the original album on vinyl for many years. That clip may have been from a remaster but the remaster
wasn't so hot. The album should get a complete cleanup and remaster.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #817 on: May 21, 2017, 01:21:03 am »
I had the original album on vinyl for many years. That clip may have been from a remaster but the remaster
wasn't so hot. The album should get a complete cleanup and remaster.

You should check out the Noddy's Puncture Facebook.  Emerson was teaching him (Tom?) technique.  There is a fellow in LA area Emerson was working with on the Classical side, can't recall the name, but he's on Emerson's page.  The two students are 10,000 miles apart.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #818 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:08 am »
You should check out the Noddy's Puncture Facebook.  Emerson was teaching him (Tom?) technique.  There is a fellow in LA area Emerson was working with on the Classical side, can't recall the name, but he's on Emerson's page.  The two students are 10,000 miles apart.
I'll check them out.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #819 on: May 21, 2017, 01:31:44 am »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #820 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
One final interesting factoid on Cornell.

Lots of rock bands have covered country singer's songs but how many realize that Johnny Cash did a cover of Cornell's "Rusty Cage"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZs_Py-1_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtbuUlSGXzc

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #821 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »
Sky News is reporting that Sir Roger Moore has died from cancer.

Rest In Peace, James Bond.

Breaking
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #822 on: May 23, 2017, 01:33:43 pm »
Sky News is reporting that Sir Roger Moore has died from cancer.

Rest In Peace, James Bond.

Breaking

89 is a long run. RIP

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #823 on: May 23, 2017, 01:38:45 pm »
I liked the Saint and I thought he was the better Bond because he was a little goofy.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #824 on: May 23, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »
Actor Roger Moore, the comedic James Bond, dies at 89

Moore, born in London, had been acting throughout the 1940s and 1950s, mostly in obscurity, before joining the U.S. TV series Maverick as the English-accented cousin to the Maverick brothers (the end result of some convoluted casting to reduce the workload of its star, James Garner). His first long-term role was that of Simon Templar in an adaptation of The Saint, which ran for seven years; he continued to hold roles on shorter-lived TV series throughout the 1960s and early 1970s.

In 1973, after George Lazenby declined to continue in the role of James Bond and Sean Connery also retired from the role, Moore was cast as the star of the franchise. Moore would star in seven Bond films over the next twelve years, beginning with Live and Let Die and ending with A View to a Kill in 1985. Moore's portrayal of Bond was slightly more camp and comic compared to the mostly straight approach taken by his predecessors, which can largely be credited to the film writers, who took a more 1970s-oriented approach to the original Ian Fleming stories.

Moore was not above self-parody, appearing as an impostor of himself in The Cannonball Run.

He mostly retired from acting, other than a few bit parts in a mini-career renaissance in the 1990s and early 2000s, after his Bond tenure. A staunch political conservative, Moore fled the UK's tax laws and resided in Switzerland and then Monaco during the last years of his life; despite this, the British Crown knighted him in 1999. He was also, much like his signature character, a profound womanizer, married four times in his life and having affairs with numerous other women during his lifetime.

Moore died in Monaco May 23, with the cause of death identified as cancer; Moore also had diabetes and health problems in the last years of his life. He is the first actor to play Bond in the film series to die; his predecessors and successors all survive.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

IMDB entry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:52:39 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024