Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209981 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:51 am »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:57:44 am by skeeter »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:32 am »
Depends on how you define "outliving." He hasn't done anything substantial since about 1972; maybe
a rare little gem now and then since. Emphasis on "maybe."

@EasyAce

I disagree. Surviving his lifestyle is a pretty damn substantial accomplishment.

Keef is going to outlive us all.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:15 am »
@EasyAce

I disagree. Surviving his lifestyle is a pretty damn substantial accomplishment.

@sneakypete
I was talking about his music. ;)

(For the record, I wouldn't recommend anyone else try to survive his lifestyle.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:13 am »
@EasyAce

I always heard the rumor that he didn't survive.
His well-pickled body just never got the message.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:07 am »
RIP the founding guitarist of the J. Geils Band . . .

Guitarist known as J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home

He was 71.

RIP and thanks for the great music . . .

Little known fact is that John Giels had one of the foremost European auto repair shops in the world. He specialized in Ferrari....

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2006/10/The-House-that-Rock-Built/1352278.html

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2017, 11:01:33 am »
Dorothy Mengering, mother and occasional guest of David Letterman's, dies at 95

Born Dorothy Hofert, she lived a fairly typical middle-class mid-20th-century life, working as a floral assistant and secretary in Indiana, where she and her husband Harry Letterman had three children. (Harry died in 1973; ten years later, she married Hans Mengering.) In 1986, by the time middle child David Letterman had risen to fame for his late-night talk show, Dorothy began making appearances on the program, especially during holidays; originally doing so by phone, when Letterman moved to CBS, she began appearing on camera as "Dave's Mom."

Playing the role as a no-nonsense but loving mother eager to shoot down anything too absurd, Mengering earned a large number of fans, which she repeatedly attributed not to her own performance skills, but simply to the way that it allowed people to witness the love between a mother and her son.

Mengering died April 11 in her longtime home in Indiana. She is survived by David and daughter Gretchen Letterman, a newspaper columnist.

Obituary from the Chicago Sun-Times

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2017, 11:35:34 am »
The J. Geils Band had a few trademarks---Wolf and his between-song schpritzing; Magic Dick's virtouoso
harmonica playing; J. Geils's tasteful guitar work (he may have been the most underrated guitarist of his time);
Stephen Jo Bladd's tanks-gone-bonkers soul-style drumming . . .

Freeze Frame is one of my all time favorite albums. RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2017, 11:37:43 am »
Freeze Frame is one of my all time favorite albums. RIP.

@Freya, this isn't the place for it - but, how are you doing?  I was getting concerned.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:47 am »
@Freya, this isn't the place for it - but, how are you doing?  I was getting concerned.

Not good. I'll bring it up later. Having a bad problem with my meds. The stupid doctor in the rehab decided to play god and messed up a lot of my meds and while my hip is better I'm a complete and total mess

I'm going to have to see my GP to try to fix it but I may end up back in a regular hospital to undo the damage he did. @Sanguine
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:49:22 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:59 pm »
Not good. I'll bring it up later. Having a bad problem with my meds. The stupid doctor in the rehab decided to play god and messed up a lot of my meds and while my hip is better I'm a complete and total mess

I'm going to have to see my GP to try to fix it but I may end up back in a regular hospital to undo the damage he did. @Sanguine
That isn't good. Keeping you in my prayers. :0001: Get better!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »

Yes, prayers, Freya.  Keep us informed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »

That's infuriating!  Hospitalists should not be allowed to rock a boat they have nothing to do with!   22222frying pan
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »
Comedian Charlie Murphy Dead At 57 (Eddie Murphy's brother, he wrote some of Eddie's best work).

According to his manager, Charlie died at a hospital in New York City. He had been going through chemotherapy treatment.

Some of Murphy's film credits include Are We There Yet, The Boondocks, and Black Jesus. Most recently, Charlie toured with comedians including Cedric the Entertainer, Eddie Griffin, George Lopez, and D.L. Hughley.

http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2017/04/12/charlie-murphy-dead-at-57-eddie-murphy-brother/?=twd
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:27:11 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2017, 06:00:24 pm »
Charlie Murphy was pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2278XhCy4Bs

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:33 am »
Tom Modrak, former NFL general manager and scout, dies at 74

Modrak spent roughly 20 years as a scout in the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, his hometown team. In 1998, he accepted the position of general manager for the Philadelphia Eagles, where over the next four seasons, he helped orchestrate the team's turnaround from bottom-dweller to contender; he was ousted by the coach he hired, Andy Reid, just as the team hit its stride.

He spent the next decade as assistant general manager for the Buffalo Bills. Unlike his time with the Eagles, Modrak had much less success in Buffalo, making a number of draft blunders that contributed to the team's inability to rebuild. Reports in Buffalo blamed his failures on an unwillingness to assert himself in the face of bad decisions by other members of the staff.

He spent his last years overseeing BLESTO, the scouting agency where he began his career. He was forced to retire in December 2016 from a rare neurological disease, which led to his death April 11.

Obituary from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #465 on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
Pittsburgh Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney Dies at 84

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Steelers nation has lost a legend, as chairman and former U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney has died at the age of 84.

More here:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/13/pittsburgh-steelers-dan-rooney-dies/

And here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rooney

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:26:38 pm by Applewood »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #466 on: April 14, 2017, 12:47:11 am »
Looks like Death isn't much of an athletic supporter these days.

HEY! I heard Chuck Norris was supposed to die 5 years ago but Death doesn't have the guts to tell him.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #467 on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:56 am »
Looks like Death isn't much of an athletic supporter these days.

HEY! I heard Chuck Norris was supposed to die 5 years ago but Death doesn't have the guts to tell him.
My grandson did a google search for Chuck Norris. It came back with "You don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you!"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2017, 06:32:17 pm »
Toby Smith, founding member of Jamiroquai, dead at 46

Toby Smith, the keyboardist and a founding member of the band Jamiroquai died on Tuesday.

He was 46.

Smith had been fighting a "voracious" illness for a long time, according to the band's Facebook page, but had "shown signs of beating it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/toby-smith-founding-member-jamiroquai-dead-46-article-1.3055392
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
Toby Smith, founding member of Jamiroquai, dead at 46

Toby Smith, the keyboardist and a founding member of the band Jamiroquai died on Tuesday.

He was 46.

Smith had been fighting a "voracious" illness for a long time, according to the band's Facebook page, but had "shown signs of beating it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/toby-smith-founding-member-jamiroquai-dead-46-article-1.3055392

All I know of Jamiroquai was this crazy video from years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et9b7LWfnxQ

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #470 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »
World's oldest person Emma Morano dies at 117

Obituary

That's it. The very last person with a documented birth in the 19th Century has gone.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »
Rest in peace, Mrs. Morano.

I've noticed that many people who live long lives have poor eating habits, according to the experts.  My grandmother ate all the "wrong" foods and lived to be 90.   This lady ate 3 eggs a day and little to no fruit or vegetables.   Maybe this means we shouldn't be all that stringent with our diets and live a little.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »
Clifton James, Sheriff in James Bond Films, Dies at 96

Clifton James, a veteran actor who appeared as Sheriff J.W. Pepper in two James Bond films, died Saturday morning at age 96...

James most famous role came on film. He appeared in two James Bond films opposite Roger Moore: “Live and Let Die” (1973) and “The Man with the Golden Gun” (1974). He portrayed the crowing Louisiana sheriff, J.W. Pepper (pictured). James would play similar Southern lawman in numerous other roles during his career, including “Silver Streak” and “Superman II”

Among his other film credits included “Cool Hand Luke,” “Eight Men Out” and “The Bonfire of the Vanities.” ...
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
That's it. The very last person with a documented birth in the 19th Century has gone.

Three of my four grandparents were born in the 19th century, 1881, 1894 and 1896. They departed in that order, too.

--A cowboy, acrobat, oilman born to immigrants from Sweden, worked in Bill Cody's Wild West Show

--A woman that earned a MS in biology and taught university in the 1920s

--A WWI veteran that moved his parents, his wife and his daughters from the East to the West, just in time for the 1929 stock market crash--which knocked him down economically from white collar to blue collar.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #474 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:17 pm »
Robert W. Taylor, a pioneer of the modern computer, dies at 85

April 15, 2017
Esmeralda Bermudez
Los Angeles Times
Posted with permission from Tribune Content Agency
Republish
Reprint

Robert W. Taylor, one of the most important figures in the creation of the modern computer and the internet, has died. He was 85.

According to his son Kurt Taylor, the scientist died Thursday at his home in the San Francisco Bay Area town of Woodside. He suffered from Parkinson's disease and other ailments.

Taylor's name was not known to the public, but it was a byword in computer science and networking, where he was a key innovator who transformed the world of technology.

Taylor — an outspoken, uncompromising visionary — was a Pentagon researcher in the 1960s when he launched Arpanet, which evolved into what we know today as the internet.

After leaving the Pentagon, he moved to Xerox's legendary Palo Alto Research Center, where he oversaw the engineering team responsible for such inventions as the personal computer, Ethernet and the visual computer display.

More: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/robert-w-taylor-a-pioneer-of-the-modern-computer-dies-at-85/