Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209979 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #425 on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:08 pm »
They run the old Carson shows on Antenna TV, one of the retro stations, so I make a point to catch those. The one thing I never payed attention to back in the 70's and 80's was how liberally biased Carson was, which really showed in his slams against Republican Presidents versus democrat.

You might consider that, during Johnny Carson's tenure at the helm of The Tonight Show, he spent more
years hosting the show during Republican presidencies than Democratic ones: he took the show over in
February 1962, during the Kennedy presidency, and ended in May 1992 during the last days of George H.W.
Bush. He had six years of Kennedy/Johnson, eight of Nixon/Ford, four of Jimmy Carter, eight of Ronald Reagan,
and three and a half of the first Bush. I can remember he was just as full of zingers toward Johnson and Carter
as toward anyone else sitting in the White House; it was a question of who was there at the time, and he did M.C.
Ronald Reagan's first inaugural in the bargain. (I had to read about some of his zaps on JFK since I didn't get
to see the show at that time.) And when he hosted Friar's Club roasts---before Dean Martin turned them into
a semi-weekly series---he often had Reagan among the roasters.

Carson himself had a few liberal attitudes but his former lawyer once said Carson was generally "anti-big---anti-
big government, anti-big money, anti-big bullies, anti-big blowhards." He punctured Republican and Democratic
blowhards with fairly equivalent brio, which might explain why, say, such a Republican as Alfonse D'Amato could
be a Carson target but such a Democrat as Daniel Patrick Moynihan (today, someone like Moynihan would probably be
excommunicated from the Democratic Party) wasn't.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:34:51 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #426 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »
You might consider that, during Johnny Carson's tenure at the helm of The Tonight Show, he spent more
years hosting the show during Republican presidencies than Democratic ones: he took the show over in
February 1962, during the Kennedy presidency, and ended in May 1992 during the last days of George H.W.
Bush. He had six years of Kennedy/Johnson, eight of Nixon/Ford, four of Jimmy Carter, eight of Ronald Reagan,
and three and a half of the first Bush. I can remember he was just as full of zingers toward Johnson and Carter
as toward anyone else sitting in the White House; it was a question of who was there at the time, and he did M.C.
Ronald Reagan's first inaugural in the bargain. (I had to read about some of his zaps on JFK since I didn't get
to see the show at that time.) And when he hosted Friar's Club roasts---before Dean Martin turned them into
a semi-weekly series---he often had Reagan among the roasters.

Carson himself had a few liberal attitudes but his former lawyer once said Carson was generally "anti-big---anti-
big government, anti-big money, anti-big bullies, anti-big blowhards." He punctured Republican and Democratic
blowhards with fairly equivalent brio, which might explain why, say, such a Republican as Alfonse D'Amato could
be a Carson target but such a Democrat as Daniel Patrick Moynihan (today, someone like Moynihan would probably be
I take into consideration the type of jokes and attacks by Carson on Republican presidents versus Democrat ones, not the quantity of years of Republican versus Democrat. And if you ever caught shows where he and another uber liberal like his former writer Dick Cavett get together you would have no doubts whatsoever to Carson's political bent. Also watching the older shows you could see how tone deaf he was to his audience when he went after Reagan.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2017, 06:18:38 pm »
I take into consideration the type of jokes and attacks by Carson on Republican presidents versus Democrat ones, not the quantity of years of Republican versus Democrat. And if you ever caught shows where he and another uber liberal like his former writer Dick Cavett get together you would have no doubts whatsoever to Carson's political bent. Also watching the older shows you could see how tone deaf he was to his audience when he went after Reagan.

Personally, if it were me I'd be going after the pols and presidents of both parties. I trust them
about as far as I could throw my house.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #428 on: April 07, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »

... a Republican as Alfonse D'Amato could

@EasyAce

He WAS excommunicated from the Dim Party. This happened right after the Clintroids left the WH,and Bubbette! needed a political job to keep the graft rolling in. Moynihan was pretty much forced to retire because she wanted his Senate seat. It was in NY,and there was absolutely no way in the universe for anyone but a Dim to win it.

They will do the same for Ms Howdy Doody once they find a nice,safe congressional seat for her to occupy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2017, 07:19:55 pm »
@EasyAce

He WAS excommunicated from the Dim Party. This happened right after the Clintroids left the WH,and Bubbette! needed a political job to keep the graft rolling in. Moynihan was pretty much forced to retire because she wanted his Senate seat. It was in NY,and there was absolutely no way in the universe for anyone but a Dim to win it.

They will do the same for Ms Howdy Doody once they find a nice,safe congressional seat for her to occupy.

Really?  Since he passed just two years after leaving office I always thought he decided not to run because he knew it was time.  This is in contrast to others who consider Senator to be an Office for Life, like Ted Kennedy and John McCain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
Really?  Since he passed just two years after leaving office I always thought he decided not to run because he knew it was time.  This is in contrast to others who consider Senator to be an Office for Life, like Ted Kennedy and John McCain.

Moynihan's death came about as a result of complications after he suffered a ruptured appendix.

@sneakypete
If the Clintons indeed wanted to force Moynihan out of the Senate, it was probably with revenge in mind:
Moynihan had actually opposed HillaryCare, for numerous reasons. He also condemned partial-birth
abortion: I think this is just too close to infanticide. A child has been born and it has exited the uterus.
What on Earth is this procedure?
(Earlier in his Senate years he charged assorted "pro-choice" groups
with "ruining the Democratic Party with your insistence on abortion.")

George F. Will dedicated his book supporting term limits, Restoration, to Moynihan with this epigraph:
Were there more like him in Washington, this book would not need to have been written.

My personal favourite memory of Moynihan was his first Senate campaign, when he ran against incumbent
Jim Buckley. At their first debate, Buckley spoke first and addressed him as "Professor Moynihan of Harvard."
(Which Moynihan had been, in between his work in the Nixon Administration and his service as U.S. ambas-
sador to the U.N.) "Ahhh," Moynihan interjected, "the mudslinging has begun." Buckley laughed louder than
the audience, which laughed loud enough.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:07:38 pm by EasyAce »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:40 pm »
Moynihan's death came about as a result of complications after he suffered a ruptured appendix.

@sneakypete
If the Clintons indeed wanted to force Moynihan out of the Senate, it was probably with revenge in mind:
Moynihan had actually opposed HillaryCare, for numerous reasons. He also condemned partial-birth
abortion: I think this is just too close to infanticide. A child has been born and it has exited the uterus.
What on Earth is this procedure?
(Earlier in his Senate years he charged assorted "pro-choice" groups
with "ruining the Democratic Party with your insistence on abortion.")

George F. Will dedicated his book supporting term limits, Restoration, to Moynihan with this epigraph:
Were there more like him in Washington, this book would not need to have been written.

My personal favourite memory of Moynihan was his first Senate campaign, when he ran against incumbent
Jim Buckley. At their first debate, Buckley spoke first and addressed him as "Professor Moynihan of Harvard."
(Which Moynihan had been, in between his work in the Nixon Administration and his service as U.S. ambas-
sador to the U.N.) "Ahhh," Moynihan interjected, "the mudslinging has begun." Buckley laughed louder than
the audience, which laughed loud enough.

@EasyAce @Cyber Liberty

I don't know,but SUSPECT Moynihan had some petticoats hanging in his closet and Bubba and Bubbette's illegal possession of the 1000+ FBI "raw" background files on political figures played a major role in getting him to step down so she could step up. After all,he was old and had a distinguished career and retirement to protect,and really had nothing to gain by resisting them.

All I know for sure is they weren't what you would call bosom buddies one minute,and during that minute she decided she needed a US Senate seat from NY. The next minute he was resigning and giving a fund-raising party for her campaign for his then-empty Senate seat at his vacation home on the sea.

Sumptin smell. I can think of no set of legitimate circumstances where the Clintroids and the Moynihans would suddenly become bosom buds.   Dim or not,he had character and standards,and neither of he Clinton's even understand what the words mean.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:43:16 pm by sneakypete »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2017, 10:53:01 pm »
RIP Don Rickles. There are still some comedians around. Jeff Dunham makes me laugh.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2017, 01:41:23 am »
RIP Don Rickles. There are still some comedians around. Jeff Dunham makes me laugh.

@bigheadfred

That's the guy with the Achmed,The Terrorist puppet,right?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #434 on: April 08, 2017, 01:45:13 am »
@bigheadfred

I KEEL you!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #435 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:45 am »
@bigheadfred

Yeah. I enjoy his stuff, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #436 on: April 08, 2017, 03:44:48 pm »
Bob Cerv, Kansas City’s home-run champ, dies at age 91

Bob Cerv, who holds the single-season record for home runs by a Major League Baseball player in Kansas City history, died Thursday in Blair, Neb. He was 91.

Cerv, who served during World War II, was friends with former President Harry Truman, played basketball and baseball at Nebraska and, as a member of the Yankees, roomed with Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle as they dueled for the home-run title in 1961...

In six seasons with the Yankees, Cerv was mostly a part-time outfielder/pinch hitter, but he played in two World Series (1955 and 1956), and the Yankees won the 1956 Series. Cerv was sold to the Kansas City A’s after that season.

“I was tickled to death because I could play every day,” Cerv told the Omaha World-Herald in 2015. “And I proved to them that I could play every day.”

Although he was 33, Cerv had his finest season in the majors in 1958 and was named to his only All-Star team during a season in which he hit .305 with 38 homers and 104 RBIs...
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #437 on: April 08, 2017, 05:35:21 pm »
Bob Cerv was sold or traded to or from the Yankees three times in his career. Other than the Yankees selling
him to the A's and the A's trading him back, Cerv was an original Los Angeles Angel, when the Angels picked
him among those stocking the team in the first American League expansion draft. Then the Angels traded him
a month and a half into their first season . . . to (you guessed it) the Yankees, with pitcher Tex Clevenger, in
exchange for Ryne Duren, Johnny James, and Lee Thomas---who'd eventually build the 1993 Phillies' pennant
winner as general manager.

One of Cerv's best friends on the Yankees was his former A's teammate Roger Maris. The two shared an apart-
ment in Queens and acquired a third roommate during 1961---Mickey Mantle, after one too many Mantle
late night escapades apparently convinced Maris the Hall of Famer would be more likely to take care of him-
self if he roomed with Maris and Cerv. It worked until Mantle developed a nasty hip abscess following a
vitamin shot and was taken out for the season's final couple of weeks---and, out of the home run race in
which he and Maris gunned for Babe Ruth's single season record (Maris, of course, finally broke it)---and
missed the '61 World Series while he was at it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:38:14 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #438 on: April 09, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »
Cerv was an original Los Angeles Angel, when the Angels picked him among those stocking the team in the first American League expansion draft.

@EasyAce

Yep. And also, the Angels had the very first pick in that very first MLB expansion draft. I bet you can name him without looking it up.  ^-^

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #439 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:57 pm »
@EasyAce

Yep. And also, the Angels had the very first pick in that very first MLB expansion draft. I bet you can name him without looking it up.  ^-^
@Machiavelli
I bet you're wrong---Eli (Vanna, I'd Like to Buy a Vowel) Grba.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:49:42 pm by EasyAce »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »
Spike Dykes, who retired as Texas Tech’s winningest football coach and matched the victories with his legacy as a colorful character full of funny stories, died early Monday of an apparent heart attack. He was 79.

http://lubbockonline.com/news/sports-red-raiders/sports/2017-04-10/former-tech-coach-spike-dykes-dies-79

Loved it when he was beating Texas and those Aggies on Saturday when he was in Lubbock.

Hated it when he was the head coach at Lee High beating my MHS Bulldogs on the last Friday in November every year.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:34:22 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:55 pm »
RIP the founding guitarist of the J. Geils Band . . .

Guitarist known as J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home

The J. Geils Band, Blow Your Face Out

He was 71.

RIP and thanks for the great music . . .

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2017, 12:03:03 am »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2017, 12:06:17 am »
The title track of the last genuinely great J. Geils Band album . . .

The J. Geils Band, Monkey Island

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:10 am »
Saw The Jay Giles band at the FOX theater in Detroit back in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdvgjLvi6c

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2017, 12:10:57 am »
Saw The Jay Giles band at the FOX theater in Detroit back in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdvgjLvi6c

I saw them at the Fillmore East, the final weekend---but, alas, not the final show. Still, those guys
blew the place apart.

This, I believe, was their set on the Fillmore East's final night:

The J. Geils Band, 27 June 1971, Fillmore East

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:28 am »
I saw them at the Fillmore East, the final weekend---but, alas, not the final show. Still, those guys
blew the place apart.

This, I believe, was their set on the Fillmore East's final night:

The J. Geils Band, 27 June 1971, Fillmore East

Peter Wolf is the one who really became famous as the face of the J Giles Band.

Wingnut

« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2017, 12:33:51 am »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:17 am »
Peter Wolf is the one who really became famous as the face of the J Giles Band.

The J. Geils Band had a few trademarks---Wolf and his between-song schpritzing; Magic Dick's virtouoso
harmonica playing; J. Geils's tasteful guitar work (he may have been the most underrated guitarist of his time);
Stephen Jo Bladd's tanks-gone-bonkers soul-style drumming . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:12 am »

Depends on how you define "outliving." He hasn't done anything substantial since about 1972; maybe
a rare little gem now and then since. Emphasis on "maybe."