Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209760 times)

Wingnut

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »
Yep.

Wonder if they'll do a tribute to him.  I'll bet they do.

Yep.  I hope so too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:51 am »
Watching a film with him hosting was like watching it with a friend. He'll be missed.
I enjoyed his interviewing style, and tremendous knowledge of films, especially those we watched growing up. I'll miss his commentary as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2017, 12:36:31 am »
Robert Osborne, TCM Host and Film Historian, Dies at 84
More

Wikipedia

That suuuuuuuuuucks. Osborne was awesome at presenting the movies. He was a straight up Communist, but it never clouded his presentation. Ben Mankiewicz on the other hand is a straight up Communist who cannot stop from injecting his bias into everything. He also doesn't know shit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2017, 01:19:17 am »
Backup singer Valerie Carter dies at 64

Although she did record some solo work in the late 1970s and penned a few critically (if not commercially) popular songs, Carter was best established as a session vocalist; her longest association was with James Taylor, with whom she recorded several albums. Among other acts she sang for included Linda Ronstadt (it was Linda's sister Gretchen who gave Carter her break in the music business), Jackson Browne, Earth, Wind & Fire, Christopher Cross, Willie Nelson and Ringo Starr.

Beset by drug issues in the late 2000s, and by heart problems for much of her life, Carter died of a heart attack at her home in Florida.

Obituary from the Tampa Bay Times

Wikipedia

I think Carter might be one of the backing vocalists on this piece, but I could be wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnHAb_6sOs
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2017, 01:57:06 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9_qtFqjrU
I remember this song from when I was a kid. This recording seems to be from many years later.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:06:48 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:30 am »
This is a morbid thread.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:44 am »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2017, 02:11:11 am »
'Outlaw' Ron Bass dead at 68

"Outlaw" Ron Bass, who wrestled from 1971 to 1989, and had a prominent run in the WWF, has died in Florida. He had been hospitalized last week with an apparent burst appendix, and died on Tuesday.
More

Wikipedia

• Technical
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2017, 02:32:09 am »
The pro wrestlers never live long, unfortunately. RIP

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2017, 05:59:34 pm »
Lynne Stewart, Lawyer Imprisoned in Terrorism Case, Dies at 77

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/nyregion/lynne-stewart-dead-radical-leftist-lawyer.html?_r=0

Not going to speak ill of the dead, so I have nothing to add here.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

• Technical
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:57 pm »
Not going to speak ill of the dead, so I have nothing to add here.

She represented the blind sheikh right? Who just died himself?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2017, 07:02:34 pm »

She represented the blind sheikh right? Who just died himself?

Yes.  She did time for passing information to and from him, and other terrorists.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:08 am »
Lou Duva, Boxing Promoter, Manager and Trainer, Dies at 94

Lou Duva, one of boxing’s most formidable figures as a promoter, manager and trainer in a ring career spanning seven decades, died on Wednesday in Paterson, N.J. He was 94.

His death, at St. Joseph’s Hospital, was confirmed by his son Dino, a spokesman, John Cirillo, said.

Duva had ties to more than a dozen world champions, among them the heavyweight Evander Holyfield, the middleweight Joey Giardello, the welterweights Meldrick Taylor and Mark Breland and the lightweight and welterweight Pernell Whitaker.

More

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:08:27 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »
Ex-Cub Bill Hands, 20-game winner in 1969, dies at 76

Former pitcher Bill Hands, a 20-game winner for the 1969 Cubs, died Thursday in an Orlando, Fla., hospital after a brief illness. He was 76.

Hands won 111 games over 11 big-league seasons, including a 92-86 record with a 3.18 ERA in seven seasons with the Cubs.

Signed by the Giants as an amateur free agent in 1959, Hands, whose nickname was "Froggy," was part of the one of the best trades in Cubs history, coming over after the 1965 season with catcher Randy Hundley for outfielder Don Landrum and reliever Lindy McDaniel.
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2017, 04:23:10 pm »
Ex-Cub Bill Hands, 20-game winner in 1969, dies at 76
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

He was the subject of one of George F. Will's best lines: "What was wrong with Cub pitcher Bill Hands recording fourteen straight
strikeouts? He did it as a hitter."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »
Bridges of Madison County author Robert James Waller dies, 77

Robert James Waller, the author of best-selling book The Bridges of Madison County, has died in Texas at the age of 77, his agency said.

Waller published seven books, but Bridges was his most famous, selling 12 million copies in 35 languages.

The romantic novel was adapted into a 1995 film starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, who was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar in the role.
More

Wikipedia

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »
Indeed, but she can fill out a tight dress and heels spectacularly well and thats what matters on a stage today. Not talent.

@Norm Lenhart

And for those who can't,there are always unemployed "background dancers" to excite and distract the mostly teen audiences/fans.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »
I don't know what she sounds like, but if she sounds anything like Beyonce it IS embarrassing.

However, that Adelle has a gorgeous voice.

@Sanguine

"Gorgeous voice" isn't strong enough,plus she writes her own songs.

You might also take notice that when she performs,there is nobody on the stage but her and the musicians playing the music,and she is standing still behind a microphone,just belting it out effortlessly.  Not a backup dancer anywhere in sight,because not only doesn't she need them to keep the audience entertained,they would actually take away from the performance.

Look at/buy her performance that was filmed and recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London.  Sold out performance with almost 6,000 people packing the joint from the stage to the rafters,and you could hear a mouse fart while she was singing,but the place would blow up with applause and cheers when she stopped. You can see some people in the crowd singing along to themselves and crying while she is singing. The only downside is when she is talking her accent is so thick you can't understand a damn thing she's saying unless you are English.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:32:20 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2017, 01:41:58 pm »
@Sanguine

Adelle is great.  Gaga has a good voice, too...I have to give her that.

@CatherineofAragon

There is no business tougher to get ahead in than the music business,and probably no place  harder to break through than NYC,because of all the competition. GaGa understood she needed a "hook" to break free from the crowd,so she went weird to attract attention to her songwriting and singing.

And it worked. Now that she is known and her talent recognized,she is starting to slowly back away from the "meat dress/attention whore" phrase,and go more mainstream. The fact that Tony Bennett agreed to do a duet with her proves she has the vocal talent to last a very long time if she can manage to pull away from her early image.

She is also a very talented songwriter and arranger,and is VERY smart. She proved this when she didn't play to her old fan base by making her Super Bowl performance political.  She is in it for the long haul,and doesn't want to offend any potential fans.

BTW,she doesn't look very good with that bleached white hair,but if you have ever seen a photo of her with her natural black hair she is gorgeous.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »
That suuuuuuuuuucks. Osborne was awesome at presenting the movies. He was a straight up Communist, but it never clouded his presentation. Ben Mankiewicz on the other hand is a straight up Communist who cannot stop from injecting his bias into everything. He also doesn't know shit.

@Frank Cannon

It is never a tragedy when a communist dies. It's a cause for celebration.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »
@Sanguine

"Gorgeous voice" isn't strong enough,plus she writes her own songs.

You might also take notice that when she performs,there is nobody on the stage but her and the musicians playing the music,and she is standing still behind a microphone,just belting it out effortlessly.  Not a backup dancer anywhere in sight,because not only doesn't she need them to keep the audience entertained,they would actually take away from the performance.

Look at/buy her performance that was filmed and recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London.  Sold out performance with almost 6,000 people packing the joint from the stage to the rafters,and you could hear a mouse fart while she was singing,but the place would blow up with applause and cheers when she stopped. You can see some people in the crowd singing along to themselves and crying while she is singing. The only downside is when she is talking her accent is so thick you can't understand a damn thing she's saying unless you are English.

I've never watched one of her performances.  I'll have to do that.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2017, 06:34:44 pm »

Sister Sledge, "He's the Greatest Dancer"

RIP

Greatest Dancer, awesome song. We Are Family, just plain awful.