Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209943 times)

Offline endicom

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2017, 06:00:23 pm »
The music industry is in such a bad state...

Always has been.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2017, 06:02:50 pm »

Always has been.

Back when I had a family member working for Polygram commute to London from NYC on the Concorde, it was doing alright.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:03:24 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
RIP but never heard of him.  :shrug:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »
I basically stopped listening to top 40 pop music around that time.  Both the wife and I had never heard of the guy nor heard the song.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2017, 06:13:05 pm »

Always has been.

I mean economically. They have been trying to keep their profit margins in a digital world and failing increasingly. Right now, they have a handful of name artists they pump cash into, have the back end in place, but arent able to make the sales numbers they used to, have any significant development path for upcoming artists, pay for multiple extravagant tours etc. Look at concert ticket prices. Astronomical.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »
I basically stopped listening to top 40 pop music around that time.  Both the wife and I had never heard of the guy nor heard the song.

I just trawl through youtube now for cool new tunage. Plenty out there and none of it on the radio. I'm an 80s kid so there's plenty of Retro/synthwave and a lot of it better than was done when it was new. Katy Perry and Gaga can wear all the Barry/Hillary dresses they want. I won't help pay for them.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2017, 06:37:12 pm »
How sad.Never heard of him. But how sad anyway.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »
"Personal life and death

Page had three children with his partner, Charlie.[4][5] He died on March 3, 2017 of an apparent suicide.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Page#Personal_life_and_death

Any hints here? (other sources say Page is survived by "his husband Charlie.)

How is the ____ thing working out, Tommy and Charlie?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2017, 07:34:36 pm »
Never heard of him, or this song. Holy cow, that was terrible.

If he was killing himself for attention, the last result he wanted was for the world to collectively say "who?"
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2017, 08:29:57 pm »
Dr. Thomas Starzl, Organ Transplantation Pioneer, Dies At Pittsburgh Home
March 5, 2017 11:17 AM

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Dr. Thomas Starzl, who was a pioneer in organ transplantation, died at his Pittsburgh home Saturday.

He was 90 years old.

His family issued a statement that read, in part:
    “Thomas Starzl was many things to many people. He was a pioneer, a legend, a great human, and a great humanitarian. He was a force of nature that swept all those around him into his orbit, challenging those that surrounded him to strive to match his superhuman feats of focus, will and compassion. His work in neuroscience, metabolism, transplantation and immunology has brought life and hope to countless patients, and his teaching in these areas has spread that capacity for good to countless practitioners and researchers everywhere. With determination and irresistible resolve, Thomas Starzl advanced medicine through his intuition and uncanny insight into both the technical and human aspects of even the most challenging problems. Even more extraordinary was his ability to gift that capacity to those around him, allowing his students and colleagues to discover the right stuff within themselves. Nobody who spent time with Thomas Starzl could remain unaffected.”

Dr. Starzl performed the world’s first liver transplant in 1963 and the first successful liver transplant in 1967, and he made medical advancements that helped prevent organ rejection and performed baboon-to-human organ transplants.

He first joined the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1981 and went on to work for the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC hospitals for many years.

In 1996, the University of Pittsburgh Transplantation Institute was renamed the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute in his honor, and Dr. Starzl held the title of director emeritus of the Institute and Distinguished Service Professor of Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2017, 08:41:28 pm »
Nice obituary , very interesting.

Great picture of the man with his dogs too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2017, 10:25:39 pm »
I just trawl through youtube now for cool new tunage. Plenty out there and none of it on the radio. I'm an 80s kid so there's plenty of Retro/synthwave and a lot of it better than was done when it was new. Katy Perry and Gaga can wear all the Barry/Hillary dresses they want. I won't help pay for them.

@Norm Lenhart

Katy Perry can't sing.  Her voice is so bad, it's embarrassing. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
@Norm Lenhart

Indeed, but she can fill out a tight dress and heels spectacularly well and thats what matters on a stage today. Not talent.

I've heard worse, but you're right... she's not exactly a voice for the ages, even with absurd levels of autotune.

Wingnut

« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2017, 11:39:13 pm »
Indeed, but she can fill out a tight dress and heels spectacularly well and thats what matters on a stage today. Not talent.

I've heard worse, but you're right... she's not exactly a voice for the ages, even with absurd levels of autotune.

She carries an auto tune very well. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:33 am »
She carries an auto tune very well.
See that just shows I know nothing about music, I thought it was the other way around. :whistle:

Silver Pines

« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2017, 12:39:08 am »

@Norm Lenhart

Even autotune can't cover up some of her straining.  Not on all songs, but on some of them...wow.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:53 am »
@Norm Lenhart

I don't know what she sounds like, but if she sounds anything like Beyonce it IS embarrassing.

However, that Adelle has a gorgeous voice.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2017, 01:00:30 am »
Any hints here? (other sources say Page is survived by "his husband Charlie.)

How is the ____ thing working out, Tommy and Charlie?
Yeah, I had the same thought. I'm sure there's no connection, though.  :whistle:

Silver Pines

« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2017, 01:20:50 am »
I don't know what she sounds like, but if she sounds anything like Beyonce it IS embarrassing.

However, that Adelle has a gorgeous voice.

@Sanguine

I'd say she's worse than Beyonce.  Her voice is just weak...she strains, but she can't make it.

Adelle is great.  Gaga has a good voice, too...I have to give her that.

Wingnut

« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2017, 04:41:00 am »
Dr. Thomas Starzl, Organ Transplantation Pioneer, Dies At Pittsburgh Home
March 5, 2017 11:17 AM

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Dr. Thomas Starzl, who was a pioneer in organ transplantation, died at his Pittsburgh home Saturday.

He was 90 years old.

His family issued a statement that read, in part:
Dr. Starzl performed the world’s first liver transplant in 1963 and the first successful liver transplant in 1967, and he made medical advancements that helped prevent organ rejection and performed baboon-to-human organ transplants.

He first joined the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1981 and went on to work for the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC hospitals for many years.

In 1996, the University of Pittsburgh Transplantation Institute was renamed the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute in his honor, and Dr. Starzl held the title of director emeritus of the Institute and Distinguished Service Professor of Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh.

TTT.  A worthy Obit.  Rather than that of some nothing singer who killed himself.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »
Dr. Starzl really put Pittsburgh medicine - and UPMC - on the map.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2017, 08:09:26 pm »
Robert Osborne, TCM Host and Film Historian, Dies at 84

Film historian Robert Osborne, the effervescent primetime host of Turner Classic Movies since the cabler’s inception in 1994, has died. He was 84.

TCM’s general manager Jennifer Dorian released a statement saying, “All of us at Turner Classic Movies are deeply saddened by the death of Robert Osborne. Robert was a beloved member of the Turner family for more than 23 years. He joined us as an expert on classic film and grew to be our cherished colleague and esteemed ambassador for TCM. Robert was embraced by devoted fans who saw him as a trusted expert and friend. His calming presence, gentlemanly style, encyclopedic knowledge of film history, fervent support for film preservation and highly personal interviewing style all combined to make him a truly world-class host. Robert’s contributions were fundamental in shaping TCM into what it is today and we owe him a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this time.”

Osborne was an irrepressible advocate for the films of Hollywood’s golden era who wrote the Motion Picture Academy-sanctioned “50 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards” in 1978 and a number of updates ending in 2008 with “80 Years of the Oscar.”
More

Wikipedia

Offline musiclady

« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:01 pm »
I've watched a lot of TCM, and Robert Osborne knew his stuff.  Didn't know he was that old.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
I've watched a lot of TCM, and Robert Osborne knew his stuff.  Didn't know he was that old.

Watching a film with him hosting was like watching it with a friend. He'll be missed.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »
Watching a film with him hosting was like watching it with a friend. He'll be missed.

Yep.

Wonder if they'll do a tribute to him.  I'll bet they do.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.