Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209270 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »
Outlived by Lou Grant and Sue Ann Nivens. Go figure. RIP MTM.

Valerie Harper, Cloris Leachman, Gavin MacLeod and Georgette Engel are still living too.

Ted Knight went way too soon.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2017, 09:17:18 pm »
One of the funniest bits ever, and perhaps, strangely appropriate, The Funeral of Chuckles the Clown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2017, 09:20:20 pm »
Looks like 2017 is picking up where 2016 left off.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Offline verga

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
Rest in Peace, she was a very forward thinking woman, and a heck of an actress. OooooooooH Robbbbbb.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
One of the funniest bits ever, and perhaps, strangely appropriate, The Funeral of Chuckles the Clown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps

Classic!! So was . . .

The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Toulouse Latrec is One of My Favourite Artists"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Wingnut

Offline musiclady

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2017, 10:07:23 pm »
A pioneer and a beautiful lady.  SO funny!

I'll never forget her singing, "It's quarter to three, there's no one in the place, except you and me.  So set 'em up Joe..."
in Lou Grant's office.

Just hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_XquQO_kHg

Found the youtube!  One of my favorite MTM scenes...... especially since she really was such a great singer and entertainer.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:08:19 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:20 pm »

RIP, Mary. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2017, 11:13:58 pm »
And, dammit, RIP Mary Tyler Moore . . .

Mary Tyler Moore Dies at 80

The classic showdown with Carl Reiner's Alan Brady:

The Dick Van Dyke Show, from "Coast to Coast Big Mouth"

. . . and, the classic debut of her own show:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Love is All Around" (or, "You got spunk! I hate spunk!")
RIP, m'am, and thanks for the entertainment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2017, 05:47:53 am »
Butch Trucks, Drummer and Founding Member of The Allman Brothers Band, Dies at 69

The Allman Brothers Band co-founder Butch Trucks has passed away at the age of 69.

No cause of death has yet been revealed for Trucks, who played drums alongside Jai "Jaimoe" Johnny Johanson throughout the Allmans' 46-year on-and-off history. He died Tuesday evening (Jan. 24) in West Palm Beach, Fla.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/7669018/butch-trucks-dead-allman-brothers-band-drummer-founding-member
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2017, 09:44:40 am »
Butch Trucks is a nice proper southern name. RIP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2017, 04:24:02 pm »
After a day or two, separate threads about the death of a prominent person generally are merged into the Obituaries thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2017, 05:27:15 pm »
Butch Trucks, Drummer and Founding Member of The Allman Brothers Band, Dies at 69

Did you know: Butch Trucks was a nephew of the third man ever to throw two no-hitters in a single major league
season: Virgil (Fire) Trucks, who did it for the Detroit Tigers in 1952.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »

The Allman Brothers Band co-founder Butch Trucks has passed away at the age of 69.

No cause of death has yet been revealed for Trucks, who played drums alongside Jai "Jaimoe" Johnny Johanson throughout the Allmans' 46-year on-and-off history. He died Tuesday evening (Jan. 24) in West Palm Beach, Fla.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/7669018/butch-trucks-dead-allman-brothers-band-drummer-founding-member

Suicide
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4157864/Allman-Brothers-drummer-Butch-Trucks-shot-head.html

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2017, 08:11:21 am »
LOS ANGELES  - Mike Connors, who starred as a hard-hitting private eye on the long-running television series “Mannix,” has died. He was 91. 8/15/1925 - 1/26/2017
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-connors-who-played-hard-hitting-private-eye-mannix-dies-at-91/
RIP Mannix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9bhAfl0rI
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:12:55 am by GtHawk »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2017, 11:27:10 am »
MSN
Mike Connors, best known for playing detective Joe Mannix on 1960s and ’70s show “Mannix,” died Thursday in Tarzana, Calif. He was 91.

He had been diagnosed a week ago with leukemia, according to his son-in-law Mike Condon.

“Mannix” ran for eight seasons from 1968 to 1975 and was the last series from Desilu Productions. Connors won a Golden Globe for his performance as a tough, athletic investigator, who in quintessential detective show style, insisted on doing things his own way and often got beat up in the process. He drove an impressive series of muscle cars including a Dodge Dart and Chevrolet Camaro.

Desilu president Lucille Ball convinced CBS not to cancel the show despite initial poor ratings, and the show caught on after being retooled into a somewhat more conventional detective series. Mannix’s secretary, played by Gail Fisher, was one of few African-American actresses on TV at the time.  ...

Born Kreker J. Ohanian in Fresno, Calif., Connors was of Armenian descent. He played basketball at UCLA where he was nicknamed “Touch,” and was credited in his first few films as Touch Connors. In the 1950s, Connors appeared in the John Wayne film “Island in the Sky” and in Cecil B. DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments.”

Connors is survived by his wife Mary Lou, daughter Dena and granddaughter Cooper.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »
I loved Mannix!   RIP, Krekor Ohanian.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2017, 04:25:17 pm »
I loved Mannix!   RIP, Krekor Ohanian.

I liked the show here and there myself, but my mother loved it. RIP.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:52 pm »
I liked the show here and there myself, but my mother loved it. RIP.

Funny - I watched it with my Mom, who loved it too.

(We watched The FBI together too.  ^-^)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2017, 07:33:09 pm »

We were big on The FBI when my father was alive. Not to mention Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,
McHale's Navy, and (my mother particularly) The Virginian, the 90-minute western series. And,
The Fugitive . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2017, 07:34:49 pm »

Come to think of it, I always wondered if Mary Tyler Moore was a fan of The FBI, since she---like
Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in The FBI's closing credits---drove a Mustang in her show's opening credits.

Wingnut

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:20 pm »
MSN
Mike Connors, best known for playing detective Joe Mannix on 1960s and ’70s show “Mannix,” died Thursday in Tarzana, Calif. He was 91.

He had been diagnosed a week ago with leukemia, according to his son-in-law Mike Condon.

“Mannix” ran for eight seasons from 1968 to 1975 and was the last series from Desilu Productions. Connors won a Golden Globe for his performance as a tough, athletic investigator, who in quintessential detective show style, insisted on doing things his own way and often got beat up in the process. He drove an impressive series of muscle cars including a Dodge Dart and Chevrolet Camaro.

Okay,   He drove a Dodge Dart GTS and then a Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth Cuda.  No way Joe would be caught dead in a camaro.  Specially since Chrysler supplied the cars!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
Okay,   He drove a Dodge Dart GTS and then a Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth Cuda.  No way Joe would be caught dead in a camaro.  Specially since Chrysler supplied the cars!

It wasn't really a GTS. George Barris customized a GTS. The car still exists in a guys collection.....

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2009/12/Modified-for-Mannix---1968-Dodge-Dart-GTS/2530711.html

And if you can ever find the pilot, Mannix worked for some govt' outfit and had a George Barris customized Toro. I think he worked for the govt' in the first season too.

Wingnut

« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »
It wasn't really a GTS. George Barris customized a GTS. The car still exists in a guys collection.....

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2009/12/Modified-for-Mannix---1968-Dodge-Dart-GTS/2530711.html

And if you can ever find the pilot, Mannix worked for some govt' outfit and had a George Barris customized Toro. I think he worked for the govt' in the first season too.

Cool.  I read in the last years of the show when Chrysler stopped building cuda verts the guys would get 1971 and 72 grilles and headlights and put them on the old 1969/70 Cuda to keep it fresh.  Or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:20:36 pm by Wingnut »