Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209795 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2017, 01:05:34 am »
This happened a while back, but I thought this man deserved recognition here.
Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, Ia Drang battle commander, dies at 94

By BEN WRIGHT | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer | Published: February 11, 2017

COLUMBUS, Ga. (Tribune News Service) — Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, the commander at the Battle of Ia Drang in 1965 that led him to co-author the book, “We Were Soldiers Once, and Young,” died Friday at his home in Auburn, Ala. He was 94.

More at the link...
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/retired-lt-gen-hal-moore-ia-drang-battle-commander-dies-at-94-1.453672

RIP General Moore!  You have more than done your part!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:00 am »
"We Were Soldiers" Legend Lieutenant General Hal Moore Dies
By Chevel Johnson
February 13, 2017

Retired Lt. Gen. Harold G. "Hal" Moore, the American hero known for saving most of his men in the first major battle between the U.S. and North Vietnamese armies, has died. He was 94.

Joseph Galloway, who with Moore co-authored the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," confirmed Saturday to The Associated Press that Moore died late Friday in his sleep at his home in Auburn, Alabama.

Galloway said Moore, his friend of 51 years, died two days shy of his 95th birthday.

http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/02/13/we_were_soldiers_legend_lieutenant_general_hal_moore_dies_110795.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:49:39 am by rangerrebew »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2017, 02:17:30 pm »
This happened a while back, but I thought this man deserved recognition here.
Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, Ia Drang battle commander, dies at 94

By BEN WRIGHT | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer | Published: February 11, 2017

COLUMBUS, Ga. (Tribune News Service) — Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, the commander at the Battle of Ia Drang in 1965 that led him to co-author the book, “We Were Soldiers Once, and Young,” died Friday at his home in Auburn, Ala. He was 94.

More at the link...
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/retired-lt-gen-hal-moore-ia-drang-battle-commander-dies-at-94-1.453672

Wow.   Hadn't heard that.

Thanks for posting, Joe.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »
RIP General Moore!  You have more than done your part!

Some other links to Gen Moore over in the Mil Forum

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,243513.0.html

Wingnut

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:36 pm »
David Burwell, who saw bike paths where trains once ran, dies at 69.

"My dream ... is that one day you could go across this entire country — old or young, handicapped or able — on flat, wide, off-road paths. I want rail-trails to be America’s main street.”

David Burwell, the co-founder and first president of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, a Washington-based organization that has led nationwide efforts to convert thousands of miles of unused railroad corridors to trails and parklands, died Feb. 1 at his home in Bethesda, Md. He was 69.

He had complications from acute myeloid leukemia, said his wife, Irene Burwell.

Inspired in part by his mother, who helped create an 11-mile bike trail on Cape Cod, Mass., Mr. Burwell was instrumental in building a national movement to preserve green space and to provide options for alternative modes of transportation.

As thousands of miles of old railroad lines were abandoned each year, some communities across the country remade them as paths for bicycling and nature walks. The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, which Mr. Burwell founded in 1986 with Peter Harnik, became the first group to coordinate national efforts to build such a network.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/david-burwell-who-saw-bike-paths-where-trains-once-ran-dies-at-69/2017/02/15/18dfef5e-f3a6-11e6-b9c9-e83fce42fb61_story.html?utm_term=.35218a520e00

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:17 pm »

David Burwell, the co-founder and first president of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, a Washington-based organization that has led nationwide efforts to convert thousands of miles of unused railroad corridors to trails and parklands, died Feb. 1 at his home in Bethesda, Md. He was 69.

Inspired in part by his mother, who helped create an 11-mile bike trail on Cape Cod, Mass., Mr. Burwell was instrumental in building a national movement to preserve green space and to provide options for alternative modes of transportation.

As thousands of miles of old railroad lines were abandoned each year, some communities across the country remade them as paths for bicycling and nature walks. The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, which Mr. Burwell founded in 1986 with Peter Harnik, became the first group to coordinate national efforts to build such a network.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/david-burwell-who-saw-bike-paths-where-trains-once-ran-dies-at-69/2017/02/15/18dfef5e-f3a6-11e6-b9c9-e83fce42fb61_story.html?utm_term=.35218a520e00

What a great idea!Clean air, level ground, no cars....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:52 pm »
We frequently make use of the "rails to trails" near us. Mr. M does his marathon training on it. When they finish the last 7-mile section, it is my understanding it will complete the longest trail in the U.S.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:05:38 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »

Rails to Trails was a FANTASTIC idea!  We have a very long bike trail near us, and it is a magnificent addition to our area.

RIP, Mr. Burwell.   69 is far too young to die!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Wingnut

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:30 pm »
We frequently make use of the "rails to trails" near us. Mr. M does his marathon training on it. When they finish the last 7-mile section, it is my understand that it will complete the longest trail in the U.S.

Every few years we ride the KATY Trail in MO from Clinton to St Charles (Machens) or the up hill route St Charles to Clinton. At about 250 miles I think it is the longest rails to trails conversion (at Present).  Hope is that the last 69 miles to Kansas City will be completed before I die.  The great thing about Railroads are the grade was never more than 3%. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:16:54 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:04 pm »
@mountaineer

An uncle and I used to walk the Montour Trail in westers PA.  Back then there wasn't much to it.   Last I heard, one end  was being expanded to Washington, DC -- linking with one or more other trails.  The western end, I believe, extends into West Virginia. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:40 pm »
An uncle and I used to walk the Montour Trail in westers PA.  Back then there wasn't much to it.   Last I heard, one end  was being expanded to Washington, DC -- linking with one or more other trails.  The western end, I believe, extends into West Virginia.
Yes, once they finish the 7 miles between Wellsburg and Weirton, WV, the trail will go from well south of Wheeling to Weirton, to Pittsburgh, thence to Washington, DC. Montour trail is part of that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2017, 01:14:14 pm »
One of those rail trails runs right next to my house. I've walked and ridden my bike down it countless times. Before I had my car, that path was the main way I got back and forth between towns.

During the winter, they convert it to a snowmobile trail.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:43 pm »
George 'The Animal' Steele, a WWE legend and Hall of Famer, dies at 79: From Madison Heights, Michigan, to Madison Square Garden, "The Animal" excited wrestling fans all over

Hall of Fame wrestler George “The Animal” Steele has died, according WWE.

Steele, real name Jim Myers, had been battling health problems for years, including kidney failure. He had been moved into hospice care shortly before his death.

Portraying a green-tongued, bald-headed wildman, Steele was known for “eating” turnbuckles -- ripping them open with his teeth and throwing the shredded padding at opponents. He enjoyed his greatest fame near the end of his three-decade career as part of the 1980s WWE (then WWF) roster that included stars like Andre the Giant, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan and “Macho Man” Randy Savage.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2017, 07:03:34 pm »
'Russian Bear' Ivan Koloff dies (famous professional wrestler)

The date January 18, 1971 and Ivan Koloff will forever be connected. That was the day that "The Russian Bear" did the unthinkable, defeating Bruno Sammartino for the WWWF World title. Sure, he only held the belt for another three weeks before dropping it to Pedro Morales, but it made Koloff, who died today at age 74, into a big name star...

What a strange world this is. Koloff's victory over Sammartino in the middle of the ring in Madison Square Garden, scoring the greatest wrestling upset of the era and ending Sammartino's nearly eight-year reign as WWWF world champion was game-changing. "Dead silence came down," said manager Captain Lou Albano, who was in Koloff's corner that night. "They couldn't believe it." ...
More

Wikipedia

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2017, 07:18:09 pm »
Wow... bad week for professional wrestlers.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Wingnut

« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2017, 07:31:36 pm »
Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69

Norma McCorvey, who was 22, unwed, mired in addiction and poverty, and desperate for a way out of an unwanted pregnancy when she became Jane Roe, the pseudonymous plaintiff of the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that established a constitutional right to an abortion, died Feb. 18 at an assisted-living facility in Katy, Tex. She was 69.

Her death was confirmed by Joshua Prager, a journalist working on a book about Roe v. Wade. The cause was a heart ailment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/norma-mccorvey-jane-roe-of-roe-v-wade-decision-legalizing-abortion-dies-at-69/2017/02/18/24b83108-396e-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html?utm_term=.d59b68927ef6

Offline musiclady

« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69

Norma McCorvey, who was 22, unwed, mired in addiction and poverty, and desperate for a way out of an unwanted pregnancy when she became Jane Roe, the pseudonymous plaintiff of the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that established a constitutional right to an abortion, died Feb. 18 at an assisted-living facility in Katy, Tex. She was 69.

Her death was confirmed by Joshua Prager, a journalist working on a book about Roe v. Wade. The cause was a heart ailment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/norma-mccorvey-jane-roe-of-roe-v-wade-decision-legalizing-abortion-dies-at-69/2017/02/18/24b83108-396e-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html?utm_term=.d59b68927ef6

She never had an abortion, and hated that she was used to create such a heinous 'law.'

RIP, Norma.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »
Norma McCorvey, whose legal challenge under the pseudonym “Jane Roe” led to the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decision that legalized abortion but who later became an outspoken opponent of the procedure, died Saturday at age 69.....

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/02/18/norma-mccorvey-jane-roe-in-roe-v-wade-has-died-at-age-69/

geronl

« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:50 pm »
She was pivotal in unleashing the abortion holocaust that has slain tens of millions of humans.

I'm glad she repented and her soul can be saved, but she is not a hero

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:08 pm »
She was pivotal in unleashing the abortion holocaust that has slain tens of millions of humans.

I'm glad she repented and her soul can be saved, but she is not a hero

She was a tool. If not her, there would have been another.

Who said anything about "hero"? Rejoice that a blind sinner saw the light of truth. That is a good thing.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2017, 10:21:38 pm »
Poor lady figured out too late that her "friends" really didn't care a thing about her and were only using her to advance an agenda!

Once she did figure that out she did everything in her power to undo her mistake and for that I have nothing but complete admiration!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »
Every Pro-Life organization we belong to is mourning her passing:

Americans United for Life Mourns the Passing of Norma McCorvey “who became a Pro-Life Champion Addressing the Tragic Errors in Roe V. Wade, her namesake abortion case”

WASHINGTON, D.C. (02-18-17) –  Americans United for Life Acting President and Senior Counsel Clarke Forsythe expressed his condolences on Saturday on the passing of Norma McCorvey, who first became known as “Jane Roe” in the infamous abortion case Roe v. Wade.  “Norma McCorvey became a pro-life champion as she dedicated her life to overturning the Supreme Court’s disastrous decision in Roe v. Wade, the 1970 abortion case filed on her behalf to overturn the nation’s abortion laws,” said Forsythe. “She joined the efforts of millions of pro-life Americans, fighting to address the destruction caused by the fatally-flawed Supreme Court case begun in her name, and tragically she has died nearly 12 years to the day (Feb 22 2005) after the Supreme Court refused to hear her motion to reopen her original case.”

From legal perspectives across an ideological perspective, Roe has been harshly criticized. For example, James Simon, a liberal law professor, called Roe v. Wade “the most controversial decision of the modern Court era.” A 2005 book edited by another liberal law professor, Jack Balkin, went farther, calling Roe simply “America’s Most Controversial  Decision.”  After retiring, Justice Lewis Powell, who voted to approve Roe, referred to Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton as “the worst opinions I ever joined.”

“Since the days of Roe v. Wade, countless women have been harmed and infants lost to the devastation of abortion. The case was decided without a trial record, without medical evidence, without reliable medical data.  I and many others have been touched by Norma’s courage and humility as she spoke on behalf of life. She will be greatly missed, and Americans United for Life mourns her passing.”

Clarke Forsythe is Acting President & Senior Counsel at Americans United for Life (AUL) and author of Abuse of Discretion: The Inside Story of Roe v. Wade (Encounter Books 2013). For more information go to www.aul.org For interviews, e-mail: press@aul.org

http://www.aul.org/2017/02/americans-united-for-life-mourns-the-passing-of-norma-mccorvey-who-became-a-pro-life-champion-addressing-the-tragic-errors-in-roe-v-wade-her-namesake-abortion-case/

Wingnut

« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2017, 10:33:10 pm »
Wonder how the Pro-Abortion crowd is taking it?   Maybe Jazzyhead can fill us in.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2017, 11:00:04 pm »
An irony to contemplate.
Today the woman who enabled the USSC decide that a woman's right to privacy included the right to murder her unborn baby.
And today the Blink Sheik, father of the first WTC bombing in 93 died in prison.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.