Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209329 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1025 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:24 am »
The AB tied to get me to join their club one time. They are a fun bunch of guys but I declined. They insisted. I refused. After that they left me alone. I'm not a badass. Don't pretend to be. It is kinda funny how the world is small sometimes. A friend of a friend of my wife ran into her in the store the other day. He asked what my wife's last name was. Said that seemed familiar, that he knew a bigheadfred once. You know my husband. No, I lived in the same neighborhood. Never did talk to him. Everyone was kinda scared of him. My wife acts like she is proud of that. They are funny creatures.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1026 on: July 07, 2017, 01:11:45 am »
The AB tied to get me to join their club one time. They are a fun bunch of guys but I declined. They insisted. I refused. After that they left me alone. I'm not a badass. Don't pretend to be. It is kinda funny how the world is small sometimes. A friend of a friend of my wife ran into her in the store the other day. He asked what my wife's last name was. Said that seemed familiar, that he knew a bigheadfred once. You know my husband. No, I lived in the same neighborhood. Never did talk to him. Everyone was kinda scared of him. My wife acts like she is proud of that. They are funny creatures.

I solved that by moving the crap outta my town.  Way outta.  I'm from the Midwest, I live in Phoenix.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1027 on: July 07, 2017, 01:13:37 am »
I solved that by moving the crap outta my town.  Way outta.  I'm from the Midwest, I live in Phoenix.

I found that just hiding out in the house helps out a lot.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1028 on: July 07, 2017, 01:19:47 am »
I found that just hiding out in the house helps out a lot.

It was cheaper to move....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1029 on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:54 am »
It was cheaper to move....

Some things follow you around. This is merely a degree of separation thing. I like SE Idaho. If I had the money I would snowbird down to you. Doesn't look like that will ever happen. I'm going to have to work until I die now. Probably after that too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1030 on: July 07, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »
'Grandaddy of techno' Pierre Henry dies at 89
1:53am Jul 7, 2017

http://www.9news.com.au/entertainment/2017/07/07/01/37/grandaddy-of-techno-pierre-henry-dies-at-89

French electronic composer Pierre Henry -- whose music inspired the theme tune of the American animated television series "Futurama" -- has died at the age of 89, his assistant said Thursday.

Known as the "grandfather of techno", Henry's "Psyche Rock" riff was used in the Oscar-winning Costa-Gavras film "Z" (1969) and later remixed by British DJ Fatboy Slim for the 2004 Lindsay Lohan film "Mean Girls".

[Excerpt.]

He also evidently composed the Futurama theme song.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1031 on: July 07, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
'Grandaddy of techno'

Geez that's awful.  IF that was my claim to fame, I'd hope people would just remember me as Pierre.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1032 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:54 pm »
@Suppressed

Christopher Tyng composed the theme song from "Futurama"

This man inspired him.  It's a neat little song.

https://youtu.be/pkO1u2hrwxA
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1033 on: July 07, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »
@Suppressed

Christopher Tyng composed the theme song from "Futurama"

This man inspired him.  It's a neat little song.

https://youtu.be/pkO1u2hrwxA

Thanks for the correction, @Freya!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1034 on: July 07, 2017, 02:05:30 pm »
Thanks for the correction, @Freya!

No worries. It's one of my all time favorite shows. That was an interesting obit.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1035 on: July 07, 2017, 10:23:16 pm »
'Grandaddy of techno'

Geez that's awful.  IF that was my claim to fame, I'd hope people would just remember me as Pierre.

I'll wish him an RIP but remind one and all there are special places in hell for people who create things like . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ4I5DE0OI

Whomever in Spooky Tooth thought that would be a great idea should be sentenced to nothing but food,
water, and reruns of The Brady Bunch to watch!

(Yes, Spooky Tooth was a great band . . . once . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHS4EJi7DUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCLmkmXsT0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:24:23 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1036 on: July 07, 2017, 10:35:15 pm »
'Grandaddy of techno'

@catfish1957

No kidding.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1037 on: July 07, 2017, 10:42:20 pm »
I'll wish him an RIP but remind one and all there are special places in hell for people who create things like . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ4I5DE0OI

Whomever in Spooky Tooth thought that would be a great idea should be sentenced to nothing but food,
water, and reruns of The Brady Bunch to watch!

(Yes, Spooky Tooth was a great band . . . once . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHS4EJi7DUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCLmkmXsT0

I loved Spooky Tooth (and Gary Wright), but who came up with the idea of doing the Lord's Prayer?  I did like I Am the Walrus.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1038 on: July 07, 2017, 11:05:02 pm »
I loved Spooky Tooth (and Gary Wright), but who came up with the idea of doing the Lord's Prayer?

A little research just told me the Ceremony project was Gary Wright's brilliant idea. It was so brilliant
that Wright ended up leaving the group not long after the album was released and the laughter began.
Something similar happened to Jon Lord in Deep Purple: he pushed the band to deliver its Concerto for
Group and Orchestra
and the result was that, while he didn't quit Deep Purple over it, his influence
on the group's musical direction became slim and none from there.

I did like I Am the Walrus.

That was from The Last Puff. To this day nobody knows whether it was supposed to be the first solo
album for Spooky lead singer Mike Harrison, or whether the new lineup (Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor,
drummer Mike Kellie, and three former members of the Grease Band: guitarist Henry McCulloch, bassist
Alan Spenner, and keyboardsman Chris Stainton) was actually supposed to be Spooky Tooth Mk II. The
album was billed "Spooky Tooth featuring Mike Harrison," and the lineup broke up not long after the
album was released.

The Spookies reunited in 1972 with Harrison, Wright, future Foreigner guitarist/mastermind Mick Jones,
bassist Chris Stewart, drummer Bryson Graham. They made one decent album (even if its title was still
better than half the music: You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Jaw), one horrible album
(Witness, which drove Mike Harrison out of the group again), and one waste of vinyl (The Mirror)
before finally calling it a career. The original lineup minus Gary Wright---Harrison, Grosvenor, bassist
Greg Ridley, and Kellie---tried one more time with 1999's Cross Purpose. They should have let
it be.

Mike Harrison does have one crown moment as a solo artist: he hooked up with the legendary Muscle
Shoals Rhythm Section for his second solo album, Smokestack Lightning. It's hard to listen
to it even now without wondering whether this was the direction in which Spooky Tooth should have
gone; it might have ensured their survival as a band.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:05:29 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #1039 on: July 08, 2017, 04:22:53 am »
A little research just told me the Ceremony project was Gary Wright's brilliant idea. It was so brilliant
that Wright ended up leaving the group not long after the album was released and the laughter began.
Something similar happened to Jon Lord in Deep Purple: he pushed the band to deliver its Concerto for
Group and Orchestra
and the result was that, while he didn't quit Deep Purple over it, his influence
on the group's musical direction became slim and none from there.

That was from The Last Puff. To this day nobody knows whether it was supposed to be the first solo
album for Spooky lead singer Mike Harrison, or whether the new lineup (Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor,
drummer Mike Kellie, and three former members of the Grease Band: guitarist Henry McCulloch, bassist
Alan Spenner, and keyboardsman Chris Stainton) was actually supposed to be Spooky Tooth Mk II. The
album was billed "Spooky Tooth featuring Mike Harrison," and the lineup broke up not long after the
album was released.

The Spookies reunited in 1972 with Harrison, Wright, future Foreigner guitarist/mastermind Mick Jones,
bassist Chris Stewart, drummer Bryson Graham. They made one decent album (even if its title was still
better than half the music: You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Jaw), one horrible album
(Witness, which drove Mike Harrison out of the group again), and one waste of vinyl (The Mirror)
before finally calling it a career. The original lineup minus Gary Wright---Harrison, Grosvenor, bassist
Greg Ridley, and Kellie---tried one more time with 1999's Cross Purpose. They should have let
it be.

Mike Harrison does have one crown moment as a solo artist: he hooked up with the legendary Muscle
Shoals Rhythm Section for his second solo album, Smokestack Lightning. It's hard to listen
to it even now without wondering whether this was the direction in which Spooky Tooth should have
gone; it might have ensured their survival as a band.

@EasyAce

It's a few months ago at this point, but it musta been you that posted something somewhere about Spooky Tooth.  I had never listened to Spooky Tooth before, so that night I recall listening to some pretty good stuff...

This was my favorite video from what I saw that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KAYUXkXP4

Offline rodamala

« Reply #1040 on: July 08, 2017, 04:36:08 am »
@EasyAce

Actually... I just remembered how it happened that I came across Spooky Tooth.  I was on a long cross country drive and heard the Spooky Tooth version of I am the Walrus and I was like "WHAT IS THIS???".

I then started looking for who all covered the song... and eventually got my answer.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1041 on: July 08, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »
@EasyAce

Actually... I just remembered how it happened that I came across Spooky Tooth.  I was on a long cross country drive and heard the Spooky Tooth version of I am the Walrus and I was like "WHAT IS THIS???".

I then started looking for who all covered the song... and eventually got my answer.

I loved Spooky Tooth's version of Walrus.  A lot of soul in that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1042 on: July 08, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
I loved Spooky Tooth's version of Walrus.  A lot of soul in that.
Mike Harrison was a very underrated singer. There should have been more to his career . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GItlV8gZf2Y

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1043 on: July 09, 2017, 04:24:20 pm »
Italian actress Elsa Martinelli dead aged 82

Italian film star Elsa Martinelli has died today at the age of 82.

She passed away in Rome after a long and glamorous career as a star of the silver screen.

Elsa was best known for her roles in Le Rouge Et Le Noir in 1954 and for The Indian Fighter the following year, in which she starred opposite Kirk Douglas.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1044 on: July 09, 2017, 05:28:09 pm »
Italian actress Elsa Martinelli dead aged 82
More

Wikipedia

IMDb
A local station broadcasts Hatari it seems once a week at least, can't say as I recall her from anything else. RIP :0006:

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #1045 on: July 10, 2017, 01:24:03 pm »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:25:04 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1046 on: July 10, 2017, 02:16:42 pm »
A local station broadcasts Hatari it seems once a week at least, can't say as I recall her from anything else. RIP :0006:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yl0cjXDNO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yl0cjXDNO0

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1047 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:22 pm »
‘The Walking Dead’ voice actor dies in skydiving accident

Voice actor Randy Schell, the man behind promos for AMC's hit series "The Walking Dead," was killed Saturday in a skydiving accident in Houston.

Schell, a licensed and experienced skydiver, collided with a second jumper in mid-air after both deployed their parachutes at Skydive Spaceland Houston, KHOU reported, leaving Schell's parachute collapsed. The second jumper was treated for a leg injury.

Both jumpers had reportedly completed a successful dive earlier in the day.

Though his face might not be instantly recognizable, Schell's distinct voice sure is, as he leaves behind a lengthy resume that includes voice work for hundreds of commercials.

Read more at: http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%E2%80%98the-walking-dead%E2%80%99-voice-actor-dies-in-skydiving-accident/ar-BBE8zYk?OCID=ansmsnnews11
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:07:02 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:02 am »
I am not one for risky hobbies, but I'd venture he died what he loved doing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1049 on: July 12, 2017, 06:55:48 am »
I don't know much about this man but the write-up is fascinating:
A reel pioneer: Remembering Jack Shaheen
Jack Shaheen exposed Hollywood's primitive Orientalism and inspired a whole generation of scholars to challenge it.

By
Khaled A Beydoun   @KhaledBeydoun

Khaled A Beydoun is an Associate Professor of Law at the University of Detroit Mercy.

It was June 2000 in Washington, DC - roughly one year before the 9/11 attacks, and the beginning of a decade of Arabs and Muslims being public enemy number one. Jack Shaheen was front and centre, analysing a montage of vile Hollywood depictions of Arabs and Muslims in front of an audience of hundreds at the annual American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee conference.

Beginning with films showcasing old caricatures of lecherous sheikhs and exoticised women in hijabs, and moving on to more recent cinematic representations of the aircraft hijacker and Muslim terrorist, Shaheen carefully dismantled every damaging trope, old and new, for a crowd on the cusp of facing an unprecedented onslaught of structural and societal Islamophobia.

I sat in the crowd, hanging on to Shaheen's every word, not yet knowing how immensely important this man's work would be in the days and years to come. He, the son of Lebanese immigrants, would go on to pioneer an entire field of study, and blaze a path for scores of scholars and activists to follow during the 9/11 decade and beyond.

When Jack Shaheen died on July 10, the news sent immediate shockwaves through the Arab and Muslim American communities. Well before 9/11, when the study of Arabs and Muslims in the media was yet to emerge as an important subject of study, Shaheen made it his life's work. He ultimately became a pioneering figure whose name today is synonymous with the intellectual protest against the long-standing character assassination of Arabs and Muslims by Hollywood and US television networks.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/07/reel-pioneer-remembering-jack-shaheen-170711082039573.html