Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209331 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1000 on: June 28, 2017, 01:49:43 pm »
Paddington Bear author Michael Bond dies aged 91
Creator of marmalade-loving bear from Peru, whose last story was published in April, has died after a short illness
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jun/28/paddington-bear-author-michael-bond-dies-aged-91

Michael Bond, the creator of the beloved children’s character Paddington Bear, has died aged 91.

Bond, who published his first book, A Bear Called Paddington, about the marmalade-loving bear from deepest, darkest Peru, in 1958, died at home after a short illness.

The author, born in Newbury, Berkshire, in 1926, kept writing until his death. His most recent Paddington story, Paddington’s Finest Hour, was published in April.

Excerpt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1001 on: June 28, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »
@Suppressed , we posted at the same time.

RIP Paddington..

I'm going to miss you. Even though I was never blessed to have a Paddington Bear

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/28/europe/michael-bond-paddington-bear/index.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:54:34 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1002 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, of Dragon Tattoo and John Wick, dies at 56
The actor, who appeared as Mikael Blomkvist in the Swedish adaptations of the Stieg Larsson novels, has died of lung cancer
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/27/swedish-actor-michael-nyqvist-dies-56

Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist has died at the age of 56. He had been battling lung cancer.

The Stockholm-born actor was best known for his role as Mikael Blomkvist in the original Swedish Dragon Tattoo trilogy, which included The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.

He later appeared in Hollywood action thrillers such as John Wick and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.

Excerpt.

No more Russian bad guys for Keanu to double tap...

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1003 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:25 am »
Smith Hart passes away

Smith Hart, the oldest of the Hart brothers, and the self-described "black sheep" of the family has died after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 68 years old...

[T]he wrestling world knows the stories of the Hart Family and Stampede Wrestling. From their sprawling mansion in Calgary, Stu promoted wrestling across the Canadian west and south into Montana and Idaho, while Helen managed the promotion. As the children aged, they got involved too, from selling programs to entertaining the revolving door of wrestlers at the home, to eventually refereeing and, in some cases, wrestling.

Smith Hart started as a referee and debuted as a wrestler. In comparison to the fame achieved by his younger brothers Bret and Owen, and to a lesser extent Bruce, Smith's wrestling career doesn't shine the same way -- but it did last, roughly 18 years off and on...
Full article

Wikipedia

Facebook obit

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1004 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »
Little Loca actress Stevie Ryan dies aged 33 in suspected suicide just hours after tweeting about grief at grandfather's death

By Ciara Farmer For Mailonline

Published: 07:00 EDT, 3 July 2017 | Updated: 09:31 EDT, 3 July 2017

American actress Stevie Ryan has died aged 33 following a suspected suicide.

A post shared on the LA coroner's office website confirmed that the Victorville-born star, who was famed for her viral videos, died on Saturday.

Shortly before her death, she posted a note on Twitter about the death of her grandfather as she penned: 'The man of my dreams will now only be in my dreams.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4661098/Stevie-Ryan-dies-aged-33-suspected-suicide.html#ixzz4lmQmIUbg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm not too aware of her but the story is stunning. Rest In Peace.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:49:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1005 on: July 03, 2017, 07:50:53 pm »
the Victorville-born star, who was famed for her viral videos
I'm not sure what makes one famed or a star, nor do I don't know what makes a video viral. I wasn't familiar with her, but am sorry she felt compelled to kill herself.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1006 on: July 03, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »
I'm not sure what makes one famed or a star, nor do I don't know what makes a video viral. I wasn't familiar with her, but am sorry she felt compelled to kill herself.

I think everyone and most definitely myself felt a huge amount of grief at the loss of our grandparents.  OTOH, I think there are / were some other underlying psychological issues for her to do this.  Just my opinion.  Maybe a triggering event.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1007 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:25 pm »
Losing someone you are particularly close to can have a severe impact on one'side life.  I don't know if this lady received any grief counseling.  It would be a shame if she didn't.

I was very close to my father, and his death put me on a downward spiral.  At the time of his passing,  I had people telling me I had to be strong for my mother.  I took that to mean I couldn't grieve.  It wasn't till I went through counseling and really properly grieved for Dad that I was able to recover and move on. 

Don't know the lady, but I pray she has finally found peace.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1008 on: July 04, 2017, 12:40:43 am »

That's what I was wondering. The pic of her grandfather - and I'm assuming that is was recent - he looked to be in his early 80's. Any day after 80 is a gift with loved ones, most people start to naturally prepare at that point, especially grandparents.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1009 on: July 06, 2017, 02:47:32 am »
MMA fighter Aaron Rajman killed by Florida home intruders
    9 hours ago
    From the section US & Canada

Aaron Rajman made his professional MMA debut in 2014 and and had a 2-2 record
A mixed martial arts fighter has been killed by intruders in the US state of Florida, police say.

Aaron Rajman was fatally shot during Monday night's apparent home invasion in the coastal city of Boca Raton.

Palm Beach County sheriff's office says a fight broke out after a group of suspects entered the 25-year-old featherweight's home.

Mr Rajman died from gunshot wounds. The assailants, whose motive is currently unknown, fled in a vehicle.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40511746

It doesn't sound like he fought much per his MMA career but a tragedy nonetheless. Sounds like there is more to this story.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:48:13 am by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1010 on: July 06, 2017, 10:48:59 am »
Something drug-related, perhaps.  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1011 on: July 06, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »
Something drug-related, perhaps.  :shrug:

@mountaineer

He was a Orthodox Jew,so that seems unlikely.

My best GUESS is he invited some people he didn't know very well to his house,and one or more of them decided they wanted to prove how tough they were by beating a MMA fighter,and when things didn't go their way,one of them pulled out a gun.

Lots of young men are insecure,and I can't count the number of times I have seen that "You don't look so tough!" challenge backfire on people who thought they could get away with it because they had a couple of friends with them. I have actually hear morons screaming "Go ahead,shoot me! You don't have the balls,do you?" in bar parking lots.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1012 on: July 06, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
Oh, I wasn't aware of his being Orthodox, @sneakypete
Orthodox MMA fighter shot dead in his Florida home
Jewish Week

An Orthodox Jewish professional mixed martial arts fighter was shot and killed in his Florida home.

Aaron Rajman, 25, was killed Monday evening when several men entered his home in West Boca Raton, Florida. They reportedly argued with Rajman, shot him and then left, the Sun-Sentinel newspaper reported, citing the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

It is not known what they argued about.

Rajman won several MMA titles as an amateur; he turned professional in 2014 and held a 2-2 record at the time of his death. He is believed to be the only Orthodox Jewish MMA fighter, according to reports.

Rabbi Zalman Bukiet, director of the Chabad of West Boca Raton, told local television news station WPTV-Ch. 5: “This was a special young man who had a heart of gold. It’s a tragedy.”

Rajman reportedly studied Torah at the Chabad, and taught children at a local Jewish school, as well as self defense classes for children and Krav Maga techniques to local police.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1013 on: July 06, 2017, 05:57:19 pm »
@sneakypete
@mountaineer

Jack Lambert, the great Steelers linebacker,  had a well deserved reputation for toughness.  But there was a downside to being a tough guy.  Lambert once complained that he couldn't stop in a bar without some drunken idiot trying to pick a fight with him.  All poor Jack wanted to do was have a beer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1014 on: July 06, 2017, 06:03:48 pm »
@sneakypete
@mountaineer

@Applewood

Jack Lambert, the great Steelers linebacker,  had a well deserved reputation for toughness.  But there was a downside to being a tough guy.  Lambert once complained that he couldn't stop in a bar without some drunken idiot trying to pick a fight with him.  All poor Jack wanted to do was have a beer.

Yup,I doubt there is a former bar hound alive who hasn't seen similar things. Some yahoo  will get drunk and want to try to prove what a tough man he is by beating on someone.  Usually someone smaller or who seems to be passive,but sometimes you see a fool shoot for the stars.

These are almost all people who haven't been in a fight since grade school,and it almost never ends well for them.

People who have been in a few dust-ups as adults generally don't get into fights they can avoid because they  have learned you can never tell how tough the other guy is until you give him your best shot,and see what happens. If you spin him around and he is smiling and laughing while thanking you and congratulating you for the good punch once he is facing you again,RUN!

And you really and truly can't pick these people out by looking at them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:08:51 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1015 on: July 06, 2017, 06:20:59 pm »
Yup,I doubt there is a former bar hound alive who hasn't seen similar things. Some yahoo  will get drunk and want to try to prove what a tough man he is by beating on someone.  Usually someone smaller or who seems to be passive,but sometimes you see a fool shoot for the stars.

These are almost all people who haven't been in a fight since grade school,and it almost never ends well for them.

People who have been in a few dust-ups as adults generally don't get into fights they can avoid because they  have learned you can never tell how tough the other guy is until you give him your best shot,and see what happens. If you spin him around and he is smiling and laughing while thanking you and congratulating you for the good punch once he is facing you again,RUN!

Truth. I watched a little guy (former SAS) take down two brothers damnear twice his size in a bar one night. Took all of a couple seconds, maybe (longer for them to actually hit the floor than for him to send them on the way).

Another little ol' fellow who had been wounded seven times in Italy in WWII took down a tough guy who was an easy 6'2 and 240 lbs, and it took him less time for him to put him out on the floor than it did to type this. The end joint of his middle finger had been shot off in the war, and he just laughed and gave him the 'stubby' and went back to his beer.

Mama said, "Never judge a book by its cover." Dad said, "Don't go looking for trouble." They were both right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1016 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:15 pm »
Gene Conley, Dual-Sport Threat With World Series and N.B.A. Titles, Dies at 86

All professional athletes dream of winning a championship. But only two have won championships in two major American professional sports. Gene Conley was one of them.

Conley, who died at 86 on Tuesday at his home in Foxborough, Mass., pitched for the World Series champion Milwaukee Braves in 1957. At 6 feet 8 inches — he was the tallest pitcher in the major leagues at the time — he also carved out a parallel career in professional basketball, playing during baseball’s off-season and winning three N.B.A. titles with the Boston Celtics, from 1958 to 1961.
More

Wikipedia

MLB Stats

NBA Stats

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1017 on: July 06, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »
More

Wikipedia

MLB Stats

NBA Stats

Very successful 2 professional sports figures are rare..  In my generation, only Deion Sanders, and Bo Jackson come to mind.

Sanders was an excellent NFL, but was so-so in MLB.  Bo Jackson OTOH had 4 -20 hr years, and had one year he had 105 rbi's.  Too bad his hip shortened both careers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:01:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1018 on: July 06, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
More

Wikipedia

MLB Stats

NBA Stats
@Machiavelli
He was also baseball's would-be pilgrim to Israel---during 1962, suffering a spell of depression, Conley and teammate Pumpsie Green
(the first black player on the Red Sox) wandered off the team bus and hit a couple of bars before realising the bus took off without
them. (They'd been stuck in a traffic jam.) Green managed to make his way to the airport to meet the team, but Conley decided to
take a trip to Israel, buying tickets and making it to the airport only to discover he'd forgotten his passport. It was headlines
and a hefty fine for Conley by Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey---who refunded the fine as promised when Conley returned to the team
and kept his nose clean the rest of the season.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1019 on: July 06, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »

What I have repeatedly observed is that the guys who insist on telling you how bad assed they are aren't! And I have seen it proven enough times to convince me that it's true.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
What I have repeatedly observed is that the guys who insist on telling you how bad assed they are aren't! And I have seen it proven enough times to convince me that it's true.
I remain unimpressed by such territorial displays and posturing. It tends to be the calm and quiet ones who are dangerous.  :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »
I remain unimpressed by such territorial displays and posturing. It tends to be the calm and quiet ones who are dangerous.  :laugh:

Let's just put it this way;  The real bad asses don't have to prove anything to anyone but they will if you force them to.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »
It is true the biggest trash talkers are the last to fight. Fortunately I'm getting past that age, but I've always have had the attitude that if you insist on fighting you better know your stuff, because even if you can ultimately beat me, I'm going to do hurt you as bad and quick as possible whatever way I can to incapacitate you. Fighting to me is like guns, don't start it up if you aren't ready to use stopping force.

On that note, about 10 years ago I was part of a discussion with some younger guys who said they like to fight and all that. I told them point blank that me and most older guys would just as soon kill them than fight them. Very stunned looks on their faces, guess it just got real for them. But it's true, I have zero time for that crap and even less patience.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:18:14 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2017, 10:43:33 pm »
It is true the biggest trash talkers are the last to fight. Fortunately I'm getting past that age, but I've always have had the attitude that if you insist on fighting you better know your stuff, because even if you can ultimately beat me, I'm going to do hurt you as bad and quick as possible whatever way I can to incapacitate you. Fighting to me is like guns, don't start it up if you aren't ready to use stopping force.

On that note, about 10 years ago I was part of a discussion with some younger guys who said they like to fight and all that. I told them point blank that me and most older guys would just as soon kill them than fight them. Very stunned looks on their faces, guess it just got real for them. But it's true, I have zero time for that crap and even less patience.

When you get to a certain age. a punch in the face can be deadly.  Considering that, it's wise to think of it as an assault with a deadly weapon, and react accordingly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1024 on: July 06, 2017, 10:50:01 pm »
When you get to a certain age. a punch in the face can be deadly.  Considering that, it's wise to think of it as an assault with a deadly weapon, and react accordingly.

1970, (EM) enlisted mens' club, Heilbronn Germany, Wharton Barracks. Drunk white cook arrives back from downtown, and mouths off to a small black soldier in the same battalion.

Next thing, the medics are on the way. Turned out the smaller guy, was Golden Gloves boxer, and punched him in his nose, and killed him with one blow.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln