Author Topic: AP: Grand Old Party? Donald Trump remaking GOP in his image  (Read 1794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP: Grand Old Party? Donald Trump remaking GOP in his image
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »
Grand Old Party? Donald Trump remaking GOP in his image
By STEVE PEOPLES
Dec. 31, 2016 2:26 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — For eight years, a leaderless Republican Party has rallied around its passionate opposition to President Barack Obama and an unceasing devotion to small government, free markets and fiscal discipline.

No more.

On the eve of his inauguration, Donald Trump is remaking the party in his image, casting aside decades of Republican orthodoxy for a murky populist agenda that sometimes clashes with core conservative beliefs. Yet his stunning election gives the GOP a formal leader for the first time in nearly a decade. The New York real estate mogul becomes the face of the party, the driver of its policies and its chief enforcer.

more
http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/bdb3ca7c46d448138a7bed06dc9f6e83/grand-old-party-donald-trump-remaking-gop-his-image
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: AP: Grand Old Party? Donald Trump remaking GOP in his image
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:22:31 am »
Exactly why I am not heaping any praise until we see what he is going to do.  When I see him governing by the Constitution I will feel better.  I still think he has the potential for Fascism.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:32:16 pm »
When I see him governing by the Constitution I will feel better.

You may have a very long wait. Because first, it seems, he needs to be educated about the Constitution.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:14 pm »
Grand Old Plantation

Grand Old Putinistas

Greatly overrated party

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:54:16 am »
Hopefully the GOP will reform itself into something respectable after the Trump cult fades away.  Otherwise, it's headed for the ashbin.  Anti-science, warmongering, protectionism, borrow-and-spend, misogyny, and racial discrimination are not selling points for Gen X and beyond.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:55:25 am by cato potatoe »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:01:10 am »
You may have a very long wait. Because first, it seems, he needs to be educated about the Constitution.

Well if he rules like a Hitler I will be glad I didn't jump on his train.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:11:11 am »
Hopefully the GOP will reform itself into something respectable after the Trump cult fades away.  Otherwise, it's headed for the ashbin.  Anti-science, warmongering, protectionism, borrow-and-spend, misogyny, and racial discrimination are not selling points for Gen X and beyond.

Ideologically inbred.

The Trump crowd sounds a lot more like Teddy Roosevelt progressivism than anything really conservative. If you ask them what is conservatism they'll tell you its border control and bringing jobs back to America (By force). In reality Woodrow Wilson was a tough border controller as was Coolidge, Harding, and every other president for the next 50 years. (Border control was never about conservative vs progressive)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:05 am »

That sounds just like the elites that got it wrong in Britain and the US, this time around.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:06:15 am »
Hopefully the GOP will reform itself into something respectable after the Trump cult fades away.  Otherwise, it's headed for the ashbin.  Anti-science, warmongering, protectionism, borrow-and-spend, misogyny, and racial discrimination are not selling points for Gen X and beyond

Wow, a cult that won an electoral college landslide. Wow.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 04:07:24 am »
A lot more of a chance to accomplish conservative aims with this administration, many ideal cabinet picks, AG, Sessions and more. And a chance to make the world, a safer place.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:09:07 am »
Wow, a cult that won an electoral college landslide. Wow.

And a disdain of their fellow citizens.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:09:18 am »
Trump's governing will be way more constitutional than any of the other candidates, save the Governors. Certainly can't be talking about the do-nothing senators like Rand Paul or Marco Rubio.  We will see action.  Nor will we risk an Israel fanatic that might see us seeing Armageddon and the Rapture come to pass.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:10:57 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:00:32 am »
Trump's governing will be way more constitutional than any of the other candidates, save the Governors. Certainly can't be talking about the do-nothing senators like Rand Paul or Marco Rubio.  We will see action.  Nor will we risk an Israel fanatic that might see us seeing Armageddon and the Rapture come to pass.

Human beings don't make the Rapture come to pass. 

And now a new message from the president elect after catching hell for the first greeting.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  · Dec 31 

TO ALL AMERICANS-
#HappyNewYear & many blessings to you all! Looking forward to a wonderful & prosperous 2017 as we work together to #MAGA🇺🇸

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:03:18 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 06:21:41 am »
Making it into his image? Does that mean the GOP will now stand for Grand Old bleep?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 07:53:28 pm »
Trump's governing will be way more constitutional than any of the other candidates, save the Governors.

I'll believe it if and when I see it. Thus far the man's constitutional knowledge and command impresses as
barely that of a pygmy.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »

What is sad is that these look to be selling points to many Baby Boomers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:15:30 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 11:40:02 pm »
What is sad is that these look to be selling points to many Baby Boomers.
A clue for you: Bay Boomers had parents that went through the Great Depression and WWII.

Their parents (and grandparents) infused them with big doses of friggin reality, not Kumbaya nonsensical magical thinking.

My father carried disabling wounds from injuries as a 18 year old on Okinawa. My father in law likewise wounded in the European theater.

They knew the horrors of REAL savagery, and would chuckle at people making silly dismissals ofIslamic violence.

Then a bunch of us got drafted and over 58 thousand died in Vietnam alone. More friggin reality.

Sheltered future population groups have lived without much serious reality, thanks to those that went before.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 11:46:43 pm »

@cato potatoe

I think the Dems, who believe you can change your sex at will in spite of those pesky chromosomes,  are the anti-science party.

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 11:49:29 pm »

@TomSea

An Israel fanatic.  Hmmm, wonder what that is.

How can a human being influence the timing of Armageddon?  Isn't God in control of that?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 12:31:35 am »

@TomSea

An Israel fanatic.  Hmmm, wonder what that is.

How can a human being influence the timing of Armageddon?  Isn't God in control of that?
@CatherineofAragon .
Hyperbole, but a lot of this per Trump is the same for many of  us.

All the same, how can a person influence such? This has been a theme per Minister of Re known, John Hagee.

http://www.armageddonbooks.com/63hagee.html

This may not answer the question in full, however some have said some Fundamentalists do want to see this.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 12:33:58 am »
Conservatism was not on the ballot, these are Rush's words, yes, we know, Rush will be bashed, Romney is bashed by many who then, turn around and complain about Putin, when Mitt saw the threat clearly back in the day.

But Conservatism per say, was not on the ballot, so one could vote for the Constitutional party or Libertarians or perhaps, one felt their vote could still be of importance in deciding who would be elected.

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:14 am »
@CatherineofAragon .

All the same, how can a person influence such? This has been a theme per Minister of Re known, John Hagee.

This may not answer the question in full, however some have said some Fundamentalists do want to see this.

@TomSea

I'm familiar with John Hagee.  He once said that Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah, so---not to be rude---I'm not inclined to take instruction from him.

No matter how much a person might want Armageddon, he/she can't influence the timing.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:44 am »

Anti-science?  Where do you get that?  I am anti-fake science as in global warming science.  I am not really in favor of giving huge grants to so-called scientists with an under the table hint that they come to certain pre-ordained conclusions.

borrow-and-spend is a generalization that doesn't mean anything. We should not spend on useless programs and support useless federal agencies.

Protectionism?  I think we should protect American industry if we can.  Why not.  Free trade, yes but also fair trade.

Warmongering?  Is it war-mongering to insure that we are strong enough militarily to fight if we need to?

Misogyny will always exist in certain individuals but I don't think it exists in the Republican Party as a whole and I don't believe you can show evidence of that.

Racial discrimination?  That's a ridiculous one.  Affirmative action was a failed attempt to achieve racial equality which can only be achieved by individuals.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 02:38:03 am »
@CatherineofAragon .

I didn't read your link but it wouldn't matter what people want.  Islam is trying to do that too.  https://the-end-time.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-do-muslims-believe-about-end-of.html

The world can and will get worse and worse like the birth pains of a woman in labor.  Nobody knows or can directly influence the Rapture.  I would say prayers of the faithful can and do influence world events.  But only God knows when the Rapture will be.  We are instructed to watch for the signs.  The signs are there and many prophesies have been fulfilled.  But beware of anyone who thinks they know.  Just be ready always!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:44:30 am by Chosen Daughter »